The Secrets of a Freemason

Links and feed for news Items from Masonic sources worldwide

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

The Secrets of a Freemason

Postby JoeClark » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Hello,

How do WE know what the secrets of masonry are? I assume our obligations are very similar from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I've heard it said many times that the secrets of masonry are the means of identification and the details of the ritual. All I can find in our Masonic Code is that "degree work may not be discussed in front of non-masons". At a public event a few months ago, a Past Grand Master gave a very nice speech. In it, he incorporated all the working tools of the three degrees, and gave there uses, almost verbatum from our degrees. Prior, I would have considered this something off-limits to discuss in public. The way I understand my obligation, without going into or disclosing the details of it, is that I will not share the secrets of masonry if something is communicated to me to be a secret. In my years as a mason, no one has ever said to me "by the way Mike, this is a secret of masonry, so keep it that way". Who is qualified to let me know if something is secret or not? I have a good idea, and feel I've always been faithful to my obligations and the Masonic Code of MN, but I'm curious what others think...

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
JoeClark

Re: The Secrets of a Freemason

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:20 pm

I can not see where said Grand Master gave away any secrets. You may want to sit down with your lodge mentors and discuss this matter. You are not alone in not being familiar as to what may or may not be discussed. Many lodges are neglectful in following up with brethren after the various degrees.
Lloyd Wiebe
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Trouillogan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:05 pm

This being lodgeroomuk, while it is interesting to hear about other constitutions, what may or may not be done under those other constitutions doesn't concern us greatly here under the United Grand Lodge of England.

As to the subject at hand, most of the time you can substitute the word 'private' for 'secret'. E.g. a secretary deals with the private/confidential matters of his/her employer. The word 'secret' has taken on an altered focus from its use in our eighteenth century ritual work.
Trouillogan

Postby mindmagic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:14 am

UGLE has made it quite clear that in their opinion the only "secrets" are the modes of recognition - signs, tokens and words.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby russellholland » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:21 am

So what do the secrets protect?
russellholland

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm

russellholland wrote:So what do the secrets protect?

As a protection against impostors gaining access to charitable funds.
Trouillogan

Postby russellholland » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 pm

>protection against impostors gaining access to charitable funds.

That did not work locally where some brethren took over management of the charitable trust and persuaded GL to transfer almost all its assets to the trust and now by law the assets cannot go back. The GL now does not even own its temple.
russellholland

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

russellholland wrote:>protection against impostors gaining access to charitable funds.

That did not work locally where some brethren took over management of the charitable trust and persuaded GL to transfer almost all its assets to the trust and now by law the assets cannot go back. The GL now does not even own its temple.

As I understand it, GL is not a legal entity so that might make some sense. However, the protection to which I believe you were referring was related to outsiders.
Trouillogan

Postby Peter Taylor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:08 pm

In my jurisdiction the "secrets" are the modes of Recognition.
However, they are only private to me because I made a promise not to reveal them, you can find them on the internet or a library if you want to do so!
Regards, Peter
Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire, PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789, Honorary, 49, 54, 99, 164, 225, 299, 317, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, Proxy Master 1371 SC, Zambia: Associate 198, Colorado: PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RW Mark Master: RAM, CC: AASR 31°, PMWS, PGC: SRIS 9°: ROoS: OSM: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Masonic News UK and World