Rank in Freemasonry

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Rank in Freemasonry

Postby JulesTheBit » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:47 am

Hemlock wrote:That would be fun, think a couple are up from Essex and my mate from Notts wants to come too, just to see. Don't want to eat in the Connaught rooms, last time was an expensive waste.

Understood re Connaught Rooms. As a very regular attender at GQS (twice this week), I know what you mean.

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby gcoudert » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:16 am

Personally, I joined Masonry because I thought I would enjoy it. I did and I still do. I went through the offices and through the Chair and enjoyed every minute. I learned the ritual as a personal challenge and for the candidates' benefit and enjoyed that too. I put a LOT of hard work learning all those ceremonies and lectures but at no point did I think about my first appointment.
However, now that it's about to happen (it'll have to be a Past rank as my job would prevent me from performing acting duties), I'll be perfectly honest: if I were to be awarded the same rank as or a lower rank than W. Bro. XXX, who did zilch in his year in the Chair, did nothing before and has done nothing since, I would be VERY annoyed (but would keep it to myself so as not to disrupt the harmony of the Lodge). This is why I also prefer the London system.
gcoudert
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby gcoudert » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:26 am

gord_vokes wrote:But most brethren I speak with are more interested in other parts of the craft and there are lots to go round: History, Philosophy, Ethics and of course Relief, Brotherhood and Truth.

My experience is very different. Most know between very little and nothing whatsoever about Freemasonry and keep spreading long-debunked myths. The only thing that matters to them is the social aspect of Masonry, many don't live by the principles of the Sq. and C. and please don't get me started on their belief in a Supreme Being. I know what I am getting out of Freemasonry but its true essence sadly bypasses the majority.
gcoudert

Postby JulesTheBit » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:04 am

gcoudert wrote:
gord_vokes wrote:But most brethren I speak with are more interested in other parts of the craft and there are lots to go round: History, Philosophy, Ethics and of course Relief, Brotherhood and Truth.

My experience is very different. Most know between very little and nothing whatsoever about Freemasonry and keep spreading long-debunked myths. The only thing that matters to them is the social aspect of Masonry, many don't live by the principles of the Sq. and C. and please don't get me started on their belief in a Supreme Being. I know what I am getting out of Freemasonry but its true essence sadly bypasses the majority.

How very true Giles.

But on a board such as this you are, to a large extent, preaching to the choir :)

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby MrBenn » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 am

Or the orchestra....

(55)
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:47 pm

gcoudert wrote:I'll be perfectly honest: if I were to be awarded the same rank as or a lower rank than W. Bro. XXX, who did zilch in his year in the Chair, did nothing before and has done nothing since, I would be VERY annoyed (but would keep it to myself so as not to disrupt the harmony of the Lodge). This is why I also prefer the London system.

That I can understand, but always remember that it's not members your own lodge that you should 'compare' against, but those who are up for first appointment at the same time as you. If you going to compare against members of your own lodge, then compare promotions as they will more reflect what you've done for the lodge - remember the ProvGM has a limited number of first appointments he can make, so those comparisons can only be against others up at the same time. Promotions however; he can make as many as he deems fit.
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby gcoudert » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Richard George wrote:That I can understand, but always remember that it's not members your own lodge that you should 'compare' against, but those who are up for first appointment at the same time as you.

Agreed but I won't know what the other first appointment recipients ever did. I do, however, know what others in my Lodge have done! :-)
gcoudert

Postby Hemlock » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Notts promotion has now come through, I was a bit late as on hols for 3 weeks. Acting Prov. GSD.

What did I do? Invested 1st May.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:07 pm

Many congratulations

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Saracen1970 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Congratulations Brother Hemlock!
Alex
of what use are flambeaux, torches and spectacles to him who shuts his eyes so as not to see?
Saracen1970

Postby Hemlock » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks Brothers

I am sure its not deserved, but will do my best for the year. Never thought I would get an active rank.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby JulesTheBit » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Excellent! Very well deserved.

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby Hemlock » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:38 pm

1st May is a pain, its a bank holiday weekend, making traffic heavier and wanted to clear off in the caravan.

Never happy huh! moan moan moan.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby jackal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Hemlock wrote:Never happy huh! moan moan moan.

Shouldn't that be tut tut tut?

J
Jackal
jackal
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Hemlock » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 am

jackal wrote:
Hemlock wrote:Never happy huh! moan moan moan.

Shouldn't that be tut tut tut?

J

You are so right! I have a lot to learn yet.

We get a new PGM soon, they have set the date of investiture, but not told us who he is. Been waiting by the 'phone now for three days, will they never ring?
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Richard George » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:47 pm

They often won't even let the ProvGSec know until about 4-6 weeks before. We got lucky in being told at the last QC. Chances are it will/may be announced on Wednesday ...
(BTW - don't forget to sign in as ProvSGD - not ProvGSD .. the former is the Craft rank, the latter the Mark)
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby gord_vokes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Richard George wrote:They often won't even let the ProvGSec know until about 4-6 weeks before. We got lucky in being told at the last QC. Chances are it will/may be announced on Wednesday ...
(BTW - don't forget to sign in as ProvSGD - not ProvGSD .. the former is the Craft rank, the latter the Mark)

Okay another question from a colonial -- does the GLMMM have provinces and PGMs like the Craft (UGLE) in England/Wales? If so how many members does it have?
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes

Postby gcoudert » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Hemlock wrote:Notts promotion has now come through, I was a bit late as on hols for 3 weeks. Acting Prov. GSD.

What did I do? Invested 1st May.

Belated congrats. Ours aren't announced until May (investiture is in October), I think. And ProvJGD is the highest rank you can get on a first appojntment here as far as I can tell. I have had to tell our Secretary I couldn't possibly have an active/acting rank because of my work commitments, sadly.
gcoudert

Postby JulesTheBit » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Just out of interest, what different policies do your various Provinces have re ranks for brethren who have never been WM?

My mother province is Essex where those worthy brethren are typically appointed PPGPurs, and London is different, as always (27) but I've seen Deacons (Somerset) and an AsstSuptWks in Kent with roundels not levels.

This is at the discretion of PGMs and therefore liable to change, but do your PGMs have any particular policies re this at the moment?

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby gord_vokes » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:23 am

JulesTheBit wrote:Just out of interest, what different policies do your various Provinces have re ranks for brethren who have never been WM?

My mother province is Essex where those worthy brethren are typically appointed PPGPurs, and London is different, as always (27) but I've seen Deacons (Somerset) and an AsstSuptWks in Kent with roundels not levels.

This is at the discretion of PGMs and therefore liable to change, but do your PGMs have any particular policies re this at the moment?

S&F, Jules

This has sort of answered my earlier question about the number of masons in GLMMM. It must be huge if they too use a system of PGMs.

Canada being divided into 10 Grand Jursidictions, I can only answer for my own, BC&Y, where only three Grand Officers can be appointed that have rosettes (first time I've heard of roundels). They are: the Grand Organist, the Grand Chaplain and the Grand Pursuivant.
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes

PreviousNext

Return to United Grand Lodge of England