Old School Lodges

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Old School Lodges

Postby Sebastian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Forgive a question from a new member of this forum recently renewing his contacts with Masonry. We have heard much about the admirable Universities Scheme (and this does appear to be most successful) but what about School Lodges, some of which must be as old as the Oxford and Cambridge University lodges? Do these lodges actively seek recruitment from amongst alumni and interested persons? It was this method that brought me in about ten years ago.
Sebastian
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Old School Lodges

Postby Richard George » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Most definitely! And I speak as a) a Provincial Assistant Secretary, and b) as a Founder of an Old School Lodge.

http://schoollodges.org.uk/
http://www.pslc.net/
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby gcoudert » Sun May 11, 2014 12:28 pm

My mother lodge is a school lodge and a founding member of the Federation of School Lodges. Incidentally, we will be hosting the Federation when we celebrate our Centenary on Saturday 15 September 2028. So, Brethren, put the date in your diary. Celebrations start at 3pm!

To answer your question, the Lodge does try to recruit new members amongst past pupils, teachers and parents. It does so by publishing articles in the school's magazine. The content of the articles varies from one edition to the next but it covers items such as the restoration of the lodge room floor (we meet on school grounds), of the gargoyles, etc. by the lodge. Readers are reminded of their eligibility to join the lodge and a couple of contact names and numbers are given.
gcoudert

Postby lloydpickering » Wed May 14, 2014 7:27 pm

My mother lodge is a school lodge too (Old Dunelmian 8100). We only accept members who have a connection to the school. This normally means a past pupil, teacher or parent, but can be extended to other family members of the former.

We hold our installation at the school by dispensation and the focus of most of our lodge charitable giving is for the school too. I have visited a couple of other school lodges such as Old Peterite 6412 and Old Barnardian 9358, and know of many other through the FSL as mentioned above (we've only joined it this year).

My understanding is that although a lot of schools are old, lodges being associated with them are fairly new. For example, my school celebrates it's 600th anniversary this year (and is almost certainly older if the links to the original cathedral school can be found), but our lodge will be celebrating 50 years in 2016.

One issue school lodges have that universities schemes don't is that the current pupils are potential future members, not potential members today. They tend to leave the school and go off to university. After that, only some of them come back 3 years later, and a smaller number remember the school has a lodge.
PPGStwd (Durham)
Old Dunelmian Lodge & Chapter 8100
Lambton Lodge & Chapter 375
Court of Dearthington 103 (Athelstan)
Prince Bishops Preceptory 589
lloydpickering
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby gcoudert » Wed May 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Regarding recruitment, I seem to remember that the lodge once awarded a Drama prize to a pupil of the school on a yearly basis, which gave us some visibility in the school. I don't think this is still happening though.

lloydpickering wrote:My mother lodge is a school lodge too (Old Dunelmian 8100). We only accept members who have a connection to the school. This normally means a past pupil, teacher or parent, but can be extended to other family members of the former.

Our membership was once limited to pupils, staff and former staff and pupils. After a year without candidates ten or so years ago, membership was extended to relatives thereof. We recently decided to allow candidates who are unrelated to the school to join the lodge under special circumstances but I think it has only happened once.

lloydpickering wrote:My understanding is that although a lot of schools are old, lodges being associated with them are fairly new. For example, my school celebrates it's 600th anniversary this year (and is almost certainly older if the links to the original cathedral school can be found), but our lodge will be celebrating 50 years in 2016.

Yes, it seems to be a late 19th / early 20th century concept. My lodge was founded in 1928 although the school goes back to 948AD. We seem to be the oldest school lodge in the Beds / Herts area, Old Westminters' Lodge most likely being the oldest under UGLE, with a Consecration date of 1877.
gcoudert

Postby Alistair » Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 pm

There is one in East Yorkshire, you use to have to be a pupil at the school but membership is now open

www.bridlingtonfreemasonry.org.uk/history6843.html
Lodge Thorntree 1038
Preston Tower RAC 499
Archeson's Haven L&C 376
Preceptory of The Braids
Alistair
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby eric384 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Alistair wrote:There is one in East Yorkshire, you use to have to be a pupil at the school but membership is now open

http://www.bridlingtonfreemasonry.org.u ... y6843.html

North & East Yorkshire have several old school Lodges - Old Peterite in York, Old Pocklingtonian in Pocklington, Hull Old Grammarians and Old Hymerian in Hull, Old Bridlingtonian in Bridlington and Old Guisborian in Guisborough.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby The Uninitiated » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:25 am

gcoudert wrote:Yes, it seems to be a late 19th / early 20th century concept. My lodge was founded in 1928 although the school goes back to 948AD.

These young pretenders... (4)

Having said that, I really must time one of my next trips to York to coincide with a meeting of the Old Peterite Lodge
Andrew
PM of Mercury Lodge No.4581 & PSoj of Mercury Chapter No.4581, Ch.Std of Mid-Wessex LoIM No.8859
MMM/RAM: Camberley No.1131 - WM/WM-elect
A&AR: 30° and MWS of Ferneberga No.1096
RCC: PDivStwd(Surrey), DepCapt DivSG., St George's No.18 (etc)
RSM: Weyside No.277 -+- AMD: Farnham No.235
KT: Agincourt No.517 -+- KTP: Chertsey No.195
The Uninitiated
LRUK Super Member
LRUK Super Member

Postby Richard George » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:01 pm

The Uninitiated wrote:
gcoudert wrote:Yes, it seems to be a late 19th / early 20th century concept. My lodge was founded in 1928 although the school goes back to 948AD.

These young pretenders... (4)

Having said that, I really must time one of my next trips to York to coincide with a meeting of the Old Peterite Lodge

My school? 970 A.D. (42) The lodge - a mere 1993.
948? That'll be St. Albans (and Old Albanians) then(?) ... forget how many times we played you .. (Kings, Ely).
Richard George
Richard George

Postby gcoudert » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Richard George wrote:
The Uninitiated wrote:948? That'll be St. Albans (and Old Albanians.

That's us indeed! I was never pupil there though; I qualified for membership as I once worked there. Both my children currently attend the school and my wife teaches there.
gcoudert

Postby Richard George » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Attended an annual FSL meeting with my late father at Old Albanians many moons ago - we were to only ones from the Cambs area to attend if I remember correctly. I'm now the designated contact for FSL visitors for The Porta 9511.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby gcoudert » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 pm

Richard George wrote:Attended an annual FSL meeting with my late father at Old Albanians many moons ago - we were to only ones from the Cambs area to attend if I remember correctly. I'm now the designated contact for FSL visitors for The Porta 9511.

Perhaps you knew our late Brother Geoff Goodman? He was involved with the FSL for many years. I believe we're hosting an FSL meeting / event in our centenary year (2028).
gcoudert

Postby Richard George » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Not me; I was a wet behind the ears mason at the time .. I'd only qualified as a Founder by a week and the meeting happened to be local so we went to represent the lodge. The one and only time as work prevented me from travelling to the more distant meetings. I'm now prevented from doing so by two young sons.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby martgee » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 pm

I am the last full member of Old Strodians Lodge 7803 in Surrey.
The lodge was founded over 50 years ago, with all members being Old Strodians.
After some years, the school became a 6th form college and we no longer recruit just from the school.
The lodge has been fairly active in the Federation of School Lodges having hosted several times in recent years.
martgee

Postby Stevecoath » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:12 am

I also belong to an old School Lodge but the story is completely different.
The Lodge was founded by old boys from the school in 1928 and the first non old boy was in the 1970s.

Now although we try to maintain contact with the school they will have nothing to do with us as the Board of Governors are hostile towards masonry.

We present a prize to one of the pupils every academic year but it is presented on our behalf and does not state who it is from.
PM, Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ, Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
WM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; WCN, Gladsmuir RAM 367; EP, Preceptory of Jacques de Molay 670; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440; John Mortimer Council R&SM 247; Edgecumbe Council AMD 35(TI); Hertfordshire KTP 29; VII°, Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Stevecoath

Return to United Grand Lodge of England