We are in the news again?

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

We are in the news again?

Postby JohnIOM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

This mornings (26/2/14)the daily Telegraph puts us in the headlines about paying VAT on charitable donations.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... judge.html

{Judge Charles Hellier noted that only between 25 and 30 per cent of the Grand Lodge’s charity donations go to causes with no Masonic connections.
“To the extent that monies were paid with the hope or expectation of self-insurance, their payment does not seem to us to be an act of philanthropy,” he ruled.}

I feel that this is a strange view of Masonic purpose; don't a lot of people give to charities as a form of self insurance - i.e. - I donate to the local Hospice to ensure that it will be in good order when my family, myself or people I care about need their services?
Maybe I just have a warped view on life and people!!

John
JohnIOM
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: We are in the news again?

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 pm

The reporting in that article seems to me to be pretty garbled; without the legal arguments being set out. The judge may have a point but it's a matter of degree and if taken to appeal could well be struck down.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: We are in the news again?

Postby MrBenn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:15 pm

It's not about VAT on charitable donations - its' about GL claiming back VAT on our GL dues - at least that's my understanding of it
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to United Grand Lodge of England