Just Applied

How to join and Why?

Moderators: Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Just Applied

Postby Potential_initiate » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:27 am

Hello everyone, I’m Steve.
I have just applied to join the Order after hearing only whispers from my grandfathers past and seeing his ring once or twice. I remember asking him what it was and meant, he said he’d show me one day. My grandfather past away a few years ago but he was going to propose me. As his cousin proposed him, I was drawn to it, just the mere sight of the symbol of the square & compasses got my mind racing, wanting to know more. I have walked past his lodge in Goole No. 46258 numerous times knowing he once walked through those doors and often wondered what he got up to in there as I was told by my mother not to ask too many questions. (it’s a secret, you know)
It has been in the back of my mind for years until last week I finally built up the courage to apply.
I have spoken to a nice man called John who covers the area I wish to join a lodge in.
I mentioned to a Freemason I have known since I was a child that I’m wanting to join and he is happy for me and wishes me the best of luck on my life long journey.

I also spoke to my Grandma and she said, Your Grandad would want you to have this. Inside this brown leather case was a small ritual book, his certificate An apron and a Jewel I saw that from his apron he was a Master Mason, I lifted his apron up to find another underneath with a sash and another certificate, he had also progressed into the Royal Arch Masons.

I’m now more intrigued than I ever was before, with just a constant urge to learn more seeing how much this all meant to him and how hard and dedicated he was to everything really brings it home to me that this is definitely a path I wish to take for the rest of my life

There are a few potential issues though...
Last edited by Potential_initiate on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potential_initiate

Re: Just Applied

Postby mindmagic » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:08 am

Hi Steve, and welcome. My grandfather also passed away before we could discuss Freemasonry; it was his son, my uncle, who proposed me into the same lodge that my grandfather had belonged to.

My advice would be to try not to find out too much about Freemasonry before join. "Spoilers" will literally spoil the impact of the various ceremonies as you go through them.

Enjoy your journey.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Just Applied

Postby Potential_initiate » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Thank you Barry, I just hope I can do him proud