Rank in Freemasonry

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Rank in Freemasonry

Postby Leslie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Congratulations Wayne... I think its a lovely rank and duty to preform (right arm up in air, bend over left shoulder and gently 'pat' shoulder :) ) .
Fraternally yours, Leslie

"Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become..."
Leslie
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks Leslie

Mind you, She Who Must Be Obeyed did ask me how it could be decribed as an honour when it is going to cost so much (regalia, morning suit etc.)?

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Terry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm

wayne cowley wrote:I see the thread resurrected at the same time as the new batch of Provincial appointments are annunced (at least around here)

Whilst I have always said that I wasn't bothered about getting Provincial rank, I have to admit to a certain nervousness when the envelope dropped on my mat about 10 days ago. I was even more gobsmacked when I found that I was being appointed as an Acting Provincial Assistant DC - being invested at the end of June!

What was even better was that, out of the 8 of us who perambulated together when in the Chair of our respctive Craft lodges, 4 of us have received Acting rank and the rest have received "good" Past ranks

Wayne

Congratulations from me too Wayne.

I must know the other 7 too!
Yours sincerely and fraternally

Terry
PM and Sec. Lodge of St Martin 8771 UGLE Caerphilly
Province of South Wales
Terry
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:12 pm

You will certainly seen us around!

Terry S got the best possible first appointment - Acting Provincial Grand Sword Bearer - and well deserved too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Terry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I thought he was one of your "gang". He hasn't mentioned it.
Yours sincerely and fraternally

Terry
PM and Sec. Lodge of St Martin 8771 UGLE Caerphilly
Province of South Wales
Terry

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:35 pm

We only found out 2 days after Mark

Wayne
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Griff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Congratulations Wayne. I,m sure its richly deserved.
Llongyrachiadau.
Clive Griffith
PM. Old Priory Lodge, 4331, Province of West Wales.
Kennsington Chapter, No 366
PM.St Brides Mark Lodge, No 729
Griff

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Diolch Griff

Wayne
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bernie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:35 am

Congratulations Wayne.
Fraternally,

Bernie

Si Monumentum Requiris Circumspice
Bernie

Postby Ian B » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Well done Wayne, I always think that those who get Active rank have the best appointments what ever they are but PrAGDC is a great honour as you have an active part to play in visits. I'm always impressed with the ability to reel off names and ranks of several distinguished brethren in the correct order.

In a happy coincidence I'm getting PPrAGDC so I don't have to do all of the hard work but I get the Dark Blues.

We must try to meet up before the summer as we may be on the move again.

Ian B.
Ian B

Postby admin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm

The basis surely is that if you are a true Freemason you will not envy the preferment of anyone and not seek any badge of recognition.

So in truth it should not bother you.

Let those who wish to get on with it.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com -
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Dowling » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Congratulations Wayne!
Craft 8945 Kent PM. PPGStdB
Craft 1361 London PM. LGR. Sec.
R.A. 8945
MMM 152 PM, 378 PM, 767 PM, 2031 Founder.
Kent Installed MMM 999 Tyler.
Kent MMM Stewards 1691 Tyler.
MMM Kent ProvGTyler, PProvGSD
RAM 380 WC, 152 WC.
RAM Installed Commanders 999 Tyler.
R.S.M. 180
AMD 99 P.M. ProvGIG
OSM 188, 358 PProvGStdB
S.C. 36 TI. ProvGWarder
Athelstan
Peter Dowling

Postby Ian B » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:56 pm

admin wrote:The basis surely is that if you are a true Freemason you will not envy the preferment of anyone and not seek any badge of recognition.

So in truth it should not bother you.

Let those who wish to get on with it.

On a personal note, I never wish to do more or less than I am able to in any position either within or outside of the lodge. One thing I do hold dear is the fact that the greatest honour that can be bestowed is that of being allowed to serve the lodge in capacity of WM (or other orders' equivalent). I do think that some people get a bit distracted from the true messages within FM when it comes to getting the Dark Blues. The great thing about receiving Active Honours is that those who receive them usually have done a tremendous amount to deserve them. For some of us it is just a matter of having spent enough time the other side of the chair.

So congratulations to all of those who have got something (including the bill for the new regalia) and to those who haven't yet, congratulation on joing our order and for whatever you manage to do now or in the future.
Ian B

Postby wayne cowley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks Ian

We have meetings in April, May and June if you fancy coming along - will be in Risca a week Friday (1st) at Lodge of Progress to see a friend go into the Chair (he's in your Mark and was my host when I attended your advancement)

Bill - fully agree - to say I was shocked to get an active appointment is an understatement!

Wayne
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ian B » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 pm

wayne cowley wrote:Thanks Ian

We have meetings in April, May and June if you fancy coming along - will be in Risca a week Friday (1st) at Lodge of Progress to see a friend go into the Chair (he's in your Mark and was my host when I attended your advancement)

Bill - fully agree - to say I was shocked to get an active appointment is an understatement!

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

April is fairly booked up, but let me know some dates in May / June (not bothered what - Craft/RA/Rose/Mark) and I'll try to get along.

Ian B.
Ian B

Postby admin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Congrats Wayne, enjoy the job, certainly I would have a go at an active job, just for the fun of it.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com -
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:54 am

I agree and it is the same with the ladies.

It seems that both Orders are suffering in the same way, although we have just enthroned a new Grand Master and it look as though we are up for an overhaul.
Pat

IM, Mark, RAM, Royal Arch, Conclave, Holy Sepulcre, Allied, OSM
Patz
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Mark Master » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:39 am

An interesting topic and one dear to my heart! Perhaps all this can be neatly summed by the immortal
words of Major- General Charles [Chinese] Gordon ; 'Honour before Honours '. Unfortunately, while all around him kept their heads ...he didn't! (47)
Merv Sprague. MM
Lodge Thespian No 268h EC
Mark Master
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby EssexMason » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 am

admin wrote:My old Mentor used to say, freemasonry is a great equaliser, it is just that some are more equal than others.

When I inferred that elsewhere I was shouted down, to the point of abuse.

I also agree with "Richard"....." Those who just enjoy their freemasonry - attend lodges regularly, meet friends and embrace brotherly love, relief and truth - will be content with whatever they get and will take an honour as a 'spur' to further involvement rather than as their right having been out of the chair for 7 years (or however long)...."

SMIB
EssexMason
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Actually I agree with most of what has been said, but let me throw a contrary thought into the mix:-

It's inevitable that there are always going to be some badge-collectors. They'll always get promotion eventually, because no-one gets any peace until they've got it. If we drastically cut down the number of dark blues, then the badge-collectors will hog the lot and there'll be none left for anyone else. Thus the whole show (at Provincial and Grand levels) would end up being run by the badge-collectors and no-one else. That's not good.

T & F,

Huw
It's the similarities that make it freemasonry!
Huw

PreviousNext

Return to United Grand Lodge of England