Rank in Freemasonry

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Rank in Freemasonry

Postby asabovesobelow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 am

During 2007 the then Deputy Grand Master, RW Bro Peter Lowndes, chaired the Lowndes Committee, which looked at changes to Provincial Grand Ranks. I am not aware of the final conclusions (if any) of this committee or if any recommendations were adopted.

In 1907, the Grand Master ‘let it be known that it was his wish that there should be a distinction, designated ‘London Rank’ for Past Masters of London Lodges having ‘long and meritorious service’. The first awards were made in 1908. In 1939, the designation was changed to ‘London Grand Rank’ (LGR). 'Senior London Grand Rank' (SLGR) was introduced in 1979 and is the only promotion within the London Grand Rank structure.

The Metropolitan Grand Lodge of London was inaugurated on 1 October 2003, representing 20% of all Masons under the UGLE, it is far larger than any Province.
asabovesobelow
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Kyle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:59 pm

mindmagic wrote:BoC, Rule 260 (iv):

"In the Grand Lodge a brother entitled to wear any of the collars described above may instead wear the appropriate collar of the office or rank in right of which he is attending."

In other words, a holder of Provincial or London rank may wear a PM collar instead of his Provincial one - if he wishes to do so.

Or indeed, a JW, SW or WM collar. This may be part of the reason for the anomaly with the technicalities around Provincial Grand Rank, LGR etc and access to Grand Lodge.

For example, a Past Provincial Grand Officer with rossettes on his apron (having not gone through the Chair), unless currently a Warden of a Lodge, is not entitled to attend Grand Lodge. So it is very possible for some 'dark blues' not to be able to attend Grand Lodge meetings.

If the wording of the BOC rule regarding admission to / membership of Grand Lodge therefore, was to include 'all Present and Past Provincial Grand Officers' it could/would include some Brethren who are/were not WMs and are not current Wardens.

K
UGLE and MetGL Freemason. Past Master, Past First Principal, and active in other orders.
@westlondonmason
Past Chairman of the Connaught Club for Young Freemasons in London
www.connaughtclub.org | @connaughtclub
Kyle

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:33 pm

The following statement is given on the front of every UGLE Quarterly Communication:

Brethren eligible to attend the Grand Lodge are Grand Officers (present and past) and the Master, present Wardens, and the Past Masters (if qualified under rule 9, Book of Constitutions) of every Lodge under the English Constitution.

So, it is quite correct to say that any brother, apart from present Wardens of private Lodges, who has not been intalled in the Chair of a Lodge, is barred from attending.

Whether or not we think that's fair - them's the rules!

There is a further statement included that those attending must wear 'the appropriate Aprons and Collars' - whatever that might mean but it is the common practice for LGRs, SLGRs and Provincials (duly qualified as above) to wear regalia of those rankings.
Trouillogan

Postby Chestnut » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:39 am

Backto the same issue. To attend GL you must wear the appropriate Apron under which you attend, GO, WM, PM' or Warden. Any Provincial or London Apron is incorrect at that meeting as it is not recognised under GL.

Many years ago the wearing of Dark Blue was a rareity today it is common place, that is a shame and devalues the intention of the reward.
Chestnut

Postby rjgs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm

If a Brother is awarded London Rank (wearing an apron with blue rosettes on it) when he has not been in the Chair of a Craft Lodge and then subsequently passes the Chair, is he then entitled to wear a LGR apron (with the levels on)? I am slightly puzzled by this anomaly!
rjgs

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:19 am

rjgs wrote:If a Brother is awarded London Rank (wearing an apron with blue rosettes on it) when he has not been in the Chair of a Craft Lodge and then subsequently passes the Chair, is he then entitled to wear a LGR apron (with the levels on)? I am slightly puzzled by this anomaly!

Hi Roger,

AFAIK yes. I think it's covered in the BOC or IFTGOMOTC somewhere but it's a bit late for me to search at the moment so will look tomorrow.

There is a point (not really giving anything away) where in the Inner Working of an Installation the ME is invested with the badge (apron) of an Installed Master. If he was already LR or ProvGR with rossettes he would be invested with a LGR apron or a PrGR apron of the same rank but with levels. Under the Provincial system he would remain the same rank (e.g. PProvAsstGStdB) and in London he would become LGR. This happens as soon as he is an Installed Master, not once he has 'passed the Chair'.

S&F,

K
UGLE and MetGL Freemason. Past Master, Past First Principal, and active in other orders.
@westlondonmason
Kyle

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:28 am

Kyle wrote:AFAIK yes. I think it's covered in the BOC or IFTGOMOTC somewhere but it's a bit late for me to search at the moment so will look tomorrow.

There is a point (not really giving anything away) where in the Inner Working of an Installation the ME is invested with the badge (apron) of an Installed Master. If he was already LR or ProvGR with rossettes he would be invested with a LGR apron or a PrGR apron of the same rank but with levels. Under the Provincial system he would remain the same rank (e.g. PProvAsstGStdB) and in London he would become LGR. This happens as soon as he is an Installed Master, not once he has 'passed the Chair'.

I would tread carefully as this looks like supposition rather than knowledge.

There seems to be an assumption that the "levels" of London Grand Rank or in other words a "promotion" would automatically be given as the holder had gone through the Chair. I don't follow the logic and suspect it may be a fallacious statement, it is definitely something that should be checked with MetGL before promulgation.

Mike
Mike Martin

Postby MrMason » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Kyle,
Am I right in thinking here that if a first time invested WM is already a PGL/MGL officer then he is invested with a PG/MGL coloured apron as opposed to a light blue lodge apron?

If so, daily advancement made (7)
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:56 pm

Mike Martin wrote:I would tread carefully as this looks like supposition rather than knowledge.

There seems to be an assumption that the "levels" of London Grand Rank or in other words a "promotion" would automatically be given as the holder had gone through the Chair. I don't follow the logic and suspect it may be a fallacious statement, it is definitely something that should be checked with MetGL before promulgation.

Mike

I knew I'd read it somewhere...

UGLE Book of Constitutions Rule 61 (a) (iii)

A Metropolitan Grand Master, to the extent that the numbers permitted to be appointed to Metropolitan Grand Rank under this Rule have not been exceeded, may confer the rank designated Metropolitan Rank on Master Masons in Lodges of the Metropolitan Area who have rendered long and meritorious service to the Craft in the Metropolitan Area, the holders of such ranks to take precedence immediately after the Holders of Metropolitan Grand Rank; and any holder of Metropolitan Rank shall, in the event that he becomes a Past Master and thereby a member of the Grand Lodge in accordance with Rule 9, thereupon become a Holder of Metropolitan Grand Rank without the need for further appointment.

Interestingly though it does say 'becomes a Past Master' so maybe he would need to finish his year as WM. If that was the case I have no idea what apron he would wear while in office as WM unless an IM/PM is deemed to be higher rank than LR, in which case I imagine he would wear a light blue apron with levels for his year (28)

As Mike quite rightly points out, seeking the guidance of MetGL or ProvGL offices would be necessary (27)

K
@westlondonmason
Kyle

Postby middlepillar » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:46 pm

One of my good friends now sadly deceased was awarded one of the first batch of London Rank, he was so chuffed that he decided as a thank you to his Lodge he would work his way through the chair (He had got up to SW 3 times but never felt he was 'good' eonough to take the chair!) At his Instalation he was divested of his dark blue apron with rosettes and invested with his dark blue apron with levels. This was after the Lodge had enquired from GQS (Pre Met GL) what the correct procedure was. He did have a fantastic year.

Sadly he died a week after installing his successor.
There is nothing more easy than to come to the gate of truth; there is nothing more difficult than to enter it. This applies to most of the wise of this world. 'Louis Claude de St Martin'
middlepillar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrMason » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:58 pm

middlepillar wrote:One of my good friends now sadly deceased was awarded one of the first batch of London Rank, he was so chuffed that he decided as a thank you to his Lodge he would work his way through the chair (He had got up to SW 3 times but never felt he was 'good' eonough to take the chair!) At his Instalation he was divested of his dark blue apron with rosettes and invested with his dark blue apron with levels. This was after the Lodge had enquired from GQS (Pre Met GL) what the correct procedure was. He did have a fantastic year.

Sadly he died a week after installing his successor.

Thanks for the clarification MP.
It's these different "customs" that makes it all so interesting.
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Postby asabovesobelow » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:37 am

In England at one time Grand Rank was awarded only to London brethren, although very few expected to receive it. It was not until 1887 that Provincial brethren of UGLE first ever received Grand Rank. Although Provincial Rank was available on a large scale to Past Masters in the provinces.

Of the UGLE membership approx. 3% are Grand Officers. The Metropolitan Grand Lodge currently has some 40,000 members and 1,400 lodges - say 28 members per lodge - although I'm sure the numbers vary widely. It seems that 20% of UGLE membership are London Masons. Back in 1995 there were 1,600 lodges and 700 chapters in London.

In December 1907 London Rank was created and the first appointments were made in 1908 and those honoured received a certificate. It was not until 1933 that the first installation ceremony happened. In 1939 the honour was renamed London Grand Rank (LGR).

In 1924 an honour was created for members of the Royal Arch when London Grand Chapter Rank (LGCR) was inaugurated. In 1979 further advancement of honours followed with the creation of Senior London Grand Rank (SLGR) for both the Craft and Chapter (SLGCR). The London system is now based around LR, LGR, and SLGR. The only appointment is LGR and the only promotion is SLGR.

Since 1998 London Rank (LR) has been awarded to those brethren who have not yet been Master of a Lodge nor 1st Principal of a Chapter.

Since October 2003 when the MetGL/GC were formed, a small number (71?) of active Metropolitan Grand Officers have been appointed each year. They are all active for their year and are active appoinments and not ranks. It seems there is one appointment for every 564 members.

The LGR is now conferred by these two bodies as the equivalent of Past Provincial or District Rank. There are no Past MetGL officers. Those who take an active office in the Metropolitan Grand Lodge for their term of one year, are awarded a collar jewel at the end of their service – but emphatically this is not a separate rank.
asabovesobelow

Postby David H » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 am

Having read of "so and so refusing a promotion because he felt he was entitled to a higher rank than the one offered" could someone please advise me of the "pecking order" of the various ranks or point me to a link where I can learn more - purely as a matter of interest.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 am

For what it's worth, the list is given in the B of C in rule 68 for Provinces and rule 5 for Grand.
Trouillogan

Postby David H » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:17 am

Trouillogan wrote:For what it's worth, the list is given in the B of C in rule 68 for Provinces and rule 5 for Grand.

Thank you very much for the help - I am trying (without success) to relate it to the overwhelming display of dark blue with gold braid that I see at virtually every meeting I attend.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby asabovesobelow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:59 am

David H wrote:
Trouillogan wrote:For what it's worth, the list is given in the B of C in rule 68 for Provinces and rule 5 for Grand.

Thank you very much for the help - I am trying (without success) to relate it to the overwhelming display of dark blue with gold braid that I see at virtually every meeting I attend.

The various links on this page may be useful in providing an explanation - http://www.pglel.co.uk/Secretariat/Hono ... onours.asp
asabovesobelow

Postby David H » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:14 pm

asabovesobelow wrote:
David H wrote:

The various links on this page may be useful in providing an explanation - http://www.pglel.co.uk/Secretariat/Hono ... onours.asp

Thank you very much - a very illuminating link!
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:43 pm

I see the thread resurrected at the same time as the new batch of Provincial appointments are annunced (at least around here)

Whilst I have always said that I wasn't bothered about getting Provincial rank, I have to admit to a certain nervousness when the envelope dropped on my mat about 10 days ago. I was even more gobsmacked when I found that I was being appointed as an Acting Provincial Assistant DC - being invested at the end of June!

What was even better was that, out of the 8 of us who perambulated together when in the Chair of our respctive Craft lodges, 4 of us have received Acting rank and the rest have received "good" Past ranks

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bboy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Well congratulations Wayne, does 'acting' rank mean that you are actually an officebearer? or do you just get to wear the dark blue apron without having to do anything?
bboy

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:37 pm

It means I actually have to "sing for my supper"!

I'll be one of about 8 Provincial Assistant Grand Directors of Ceremonies who will have to accompany the Provincial GM, his Deputy, Assistants and anyone else he asks to act on his behalf at Installations etc.

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to United Grand Lodge of England