UGLE Dining restrictions

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

UGLE Dining restrictions

Postby Peter Dowling » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Dining Restrictions
Donald Taylor, Director of Legal Services at UGLE, answers some common questions about Masonic dining in England during Covid restrictions.

Why is Lodge dining after a meeting banned?

Government guidance in England does not currently permit more than two households (or six people if outdoors) to gather together to dine. Lodge dining is not banned in areas where government guidance permits it, for example in outdoor dining areas in Wales.

If I am hungry after a Lodge meeting can I eat at the Masonic Hall or a nearby restaurant?

You may book dining where it is available at a Masonic Hall or restaurant. You may only book for yourself, or for a group of Masons from up to two households (or six people if outdoors).

Can my Lodge arrange an informal meal or drinks?

A Lodge can make its members aware of local opportunities for refreshments before or after a meeting, but it must not organise a meal or drinks for its members. Members who dine or drink at a venue where other members are present must follow the rules applicable to the venue including those about safe distancing.

But larger groups are allowed to dine at wedding receptions?

Up to 30 people are allowed to gather to dine at a wedding reception. This exception only applies to weddings and civil ceremonies at this time.

My Masonic Hall is interpreting the guidance differently.

If you are not confused by the government’s guidance, then you haven’t read it properly. It is capable of multiple interpretations. Every Masonic Hall which decides to open must have regard to the guidance and put appropriate risk assessments and mitigating measures in place but practice will vary depending on each Hall’s particular circumstances, and on any local restrictions. Individual Freemasons will reasonably come to a variety of different conclusions about the appropriate balance to be struck.
Craft 8945 Kent PM. PPGStdB
Craft 1361 London PM. LGR. Sec.
R.A. 8945
MMM 152 PM, 378 PM, 767 PM, 2031 Founder.
Kent Installed MMM 999 Tyler.
Kent MMM Stewards 1691 Tyler.
MMM Kent ProvGTyler, PProvGSD
RAM 380 WC, 152 WC.
RAM Installed Commanders 999 Tyler.
R.S.M. 180
AMD 99 P.M. ProvGIG
OSM 188, 358 PProvGStdB
S.C. 36 TI. ProvGWarder
Athelstan
Peter Dowling

Re: UGLE Dining restrictions

Postby lew finnis » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Clear as mud
Lew Finnis
Craft 8093 PPrSGD(Worcs) PDistGStdB(Malta) PDepGDC(GL/BFG),
RA 784 PPrGReg (Worcs) PDistGSwdB(Malta),
Mark 152 590(hon)999 PPrGJW(Kent)
RAM 152 590(hon) PrRAMGR
OSM 361 436 PAGDC
SC 36 PPrGS Kent
KT 325 PGtCofG
AMD 210 273 PGJD
ROS PGL Kent
RCC 233 PGPref
RSM 39 180 PGSwdB
Operatives RCT VI
KTP 71 PGIIP
PP 12
lew finnis
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:45 pm

It's very simple really - I'm not attending any indoors meetings of any kind whatsoever this year. I will reassess in January.

This pestilence is out there. It is deaf and blind to anything we may wish to do. It is air-borne. It is highly virulent. It kills people.

I aim to be around for a while yet.

Stay healthy, chaps.
Trouillogan

Postby Peter Moir » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:51 am

I'm with you Trouillogan, I'm going to no Masonic meetings this year.I have a medical condition and intend being on God's Earth for a while longer. The Virus does not spread by itself and the only way it can be caught is by human connection and we are the cause of the pandemic. My hatches are battened down until January 2021 and then we will evaluate the position.
Peter Moir

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:47 am

To help things along for brethren, I have taken to hosting regular weekly or fortnightly Zoom sessions for several lodges and other units. There's a loosely structured agenda for these sessions, a toast to absent brethren at 9 pm and a masonic quiz question for them to ponder on and offer their answers at the next session. They all seem to like the connection this gives them during these 'dark' days and it helps newer brethren by exchanging views and becoming more familiar with other members - arguably more so than during the summer break in more normal times.
Trouillogan

Return to United Grand Lodge of England