The boredom factor

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

The boredom factor

Postby WindingStaircase » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:21 pm

I haven't posted here in a while (I have since changed my username) but I would like to hear your comments on this. After 15 years in Masonry, I have become somewhat bored with it. I poured my heart and soul into it while I was progressing through the offices towards the Chair and, for a while, beyond that point in a couple of different non-progressive offices. For years, my name was all over the minute book. I was then given a generous but pointless Past Provincial Rank, which I was happy about nonetheless. However, I find that there is nothing for those of us who were not awarded an active rank because they do not have the time or money to carry out the duties expected of them. I feel as though I am in a Masonic dead end, with nothing left to offer and nothing to look forward to. To add insult to injury, I carried out an experiment whereby I intentionally missed a meeting for the very first time in 13 years. A whole month later, I have yet to receive a text or call from anybody in the Lodge and I have considered handing in my resignation. I still take part in the ritual when asked and even conducted a whole ceremony recently but it was just more of the same. Has anybody else felt like this? S&f.
WindingStaircase

Re: The boredom factor

Postby eric384 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Have you joined anything beyond the Craft? There's half a dozen Orders available for Master Mason to join, though some also require a belief in the Christian Trinity and there's several more beyond them. Mark and Chapter both take you further in the Hiramic legend and would give you a further Masonic interest and be part of your daily advancement.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Richard George » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:35 pm

I also have to ask why you've apparently not joined any other of the orders open to you? - There's plenty to do if you just ask.
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm

I too went through that. I call it Masonic burn out. I stepped back and took some time for myself in order to rejuvenate. We are fortunate here in Canada to have the Shriners. There, we get to have Masonic intercourse without the pomp and ceremony. Do not demit. Rather, step back and evaluate where yo want to be. As stated above, look into some of the other orders available to you.
The best of luck on your decision.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby russellholland » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:22 pm

This is very common. The problem as I see it is that Masonic ritual rarely does what it is supposed to do: draw Light into the temple to nourish the brethren.

This is largely because, like many institutions, Freemasonry has reached the end of this cycle. It is also because very few brethren proceed past the work of the EA: developing right relationships, internally and externally.

The work of the FC - participation in the hidden mysteries of nature and science - is rarely attempted in a Masonic context, and the work of the MM - management of the temple that extends E to W etc - is quite unknown.

So it is time for new wine in new bottles
russellholland

Postby WindingStaircase » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:11 am

I quit RC when I changed jobs as I could no longer attend meetings and there are no Saturday Chapters nearby. I also left the RA when I was PS as nothing was happening (no COI, no candidates).
WindingStaircase

Postby russellholland » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:51 am

Here is the key to Holy Royal Arch and also to Rose Croix

https://www.amazon.com.au/12th-Planet-E ... 020&sr=8-1

Both rituals are derived from Sumerian practices. Abraham was from Sumer. HRA has been Judaicized and RC Christianized but in both cases the new layer is very thin.
russellholland

Postby Richard George » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:06 am

Whereabouts are you? - there could be other options open to you that we could suggest if we knew where you were .. Mark for example.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby WindingStaircase » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:32 am

Richard George wrote:Whereabouts are you? - there could be other options open to you that we could suggest if we knew where you were .. Mark for example.

I have the whole list of Lodges, Chapters, etc. as well as meeting dates in the Year Books of two neighbouring Provinces and I will definitely consider other Orders & Degrees again. Re. Mark specifically, I was put off joining ages ago when I found out the ritual was read out and a Brother who knows me well said I would find it 'futile and frivolous'. Also, I can only do Saturdays due to work commitments, which limits my options considerably.
WindingStaircase

Postby Richard George » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:15 pm

RE: Mark - don't believe everything you hear(!) - yes some lodges read the ritual, but, if I take East Anglia as an example, the vast majority take great pride in learning it .. and reading it is pretty much frowned upon by the Province. The ritual, if done well, can be fun - and thought provoking. It will also answer a couple of questions you probably have from your Craft Installation - and go through the Chair, and it's quite eye-opening.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby admin » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Well this is why the forum is here.

I think most will understand the overload situation, it is common. You throw yourself into things not just Freemasonry and maybe you do too much too quickly.

Relax I would say and let things settle. Get involved in other things. If there is a Lodge near that is struggling offer to help. Sometimes you have to be the instigator. I am afraid Provinces are not so great at the big picture. They could do more.

But in the end its up to you. Maybe get a bit pushy and create something new. Xmas time there is always a Mason who is alone see if you can visit.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:38 pm

With your experience, have you considered creating your own discussion presentations, circulating your availability to lodges and chapters and running Q&A sessions? There's plenty of material and subjects on Solomon and elsewhere from which to create Q&A sessions. It's good fun, you meet so many different people in the various stations and you should get much satisfaction when just one brother says 'Well, I never knew that!'
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:35 am

... or (following on from Trouillogan's last observation), get known for doing a piece so well that you get "..that's the first time I've really listened to that..". I've had that on the extended 2TB - it's quite satisfying to be told that someone has been a member for x years and never really listened before and had learned something.

Try learning something that doesn't get done that often - 1TD for example .. I think, in 30 years, I've only heard it once. I keep meaning to learn it myself, but never seem to have the time .. to involved in helping out with different offices.

Another possibility - why not contact the Provincial office and see if there's anything you can do to help? - most are run by volunteers and can do with offers to help .. something I did when I retired. I now look after the Provincial Year Book - all of which is done from home and I never have to go into the office (unless I want to). That job brings me into contact with every secretary, scribe, recorder etc. across the Province - and the secretaries of all the orders we include in the book. I've had invitations to join as a result!
Richard George
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:51 pm

WindingStaircase, you may have been unlucky in your choices of lodges, chapters etc. Hunt around, go visiting, see if you can find a more satisfying 'home'. Certainly what Richard George suggests should get you out of a rut and enjoying contributing to others' enjoyment. By the sounds of it, you have much to offer.
Trouillogan

Postby RTLM » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 pm

My observations are that in masonry it's crucial to be socially engaged as well as in a masonic sense. I know it's stating the obvious in some ways, but if your craft lodge, or other masonic unit, consists of men who you get on with and whose company you enjoy (and vice versa) you are likely to become more engaged in your masonry, so I think the keys is to find a lodge where you feel at home, and your lodge freemasonry is more likely to keep its appeal. Winding staircase - now that we're a couple of months on from your post, I'd be interested to know how you're getting on ??
RTLM

Postby David H » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:32 pm

RTLM wrote:My observations are that in masonry it's crucial to be socially engaged as well as in a masonic sense. I know it's stating the obvious in some ways, but if your craft lodge, or other masonic unit, consists of men who you get on with and whose company you enjoy (and vice versa) you are likely to become more engaged in your masonry, so I think the keys is to find a lodge where you feel at home, and your lodge freemasonry is more likely to keep its appeal. Winding staircase - now that we're a couple of months on from your post, I'd be interested to know how you're getting on ??

This is absolutely correct. I was Initiated, Passed and Raised in Brighton where in the main I had a fantastic time. Three years later we decided to move permanently to Scotland where we had had a base for over 20 years. I Imagined the transfer to Scotland would be seemless but sadly to cut a very long story short, for a variety of reasons, it has not been. I am now 76 my mobility is rather poor and here in the Highlands travelling on remote narrow often poorly surfaced roads at night is no fun at all. I would actually love to move down south to Embro but at my age that is pie in the sky. I am still an UGLE subscribing member but to be honest I can't remember how long it is since I last attended a meeting since I lost my travelling companion. Although married to a wonderful wife for almost 52 years not attending meetings is very depressing; as the cheesy old B.T advert used to say "It's good to talk" There is clearly no way out of this impasse for me but I wish the O.P well and I sincerely hope he gets back to active Freemasonry. (as an aside to my dear friend Trouillogan, this is my first use of Windows 10)
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Good to hear your progress David but sorry to hear you're not that active at the moment. Mobility is so important. Correct me if I'm mistaken but doesn't 'Embro' have more steep hills than Inverness?!

For your information, during my 70s I decided to ignore the age number and just get on with it, since I continue to be blessed with two working legs and at least one working brain cell! So I started producing and leading illustrated discussion sessions in lodges and chapters; created an action plan for my mother lodge in Derbyshire that admitted to having lost its way a bit; turned my attention to re-activating local masonic involvement in Remembrance day events; got my Sussex lodge on the UGLE Universities Scheme; provide music for some nineteen lodges and chapters locally - and even at GQS; my discussion sessions got me onto the Sussex Provincial Orators' team; produced a booklet for new initiates; organised the Quatuor Coronati Lodge publicity for the '1717 and all that . . .' symposium in 2017 at GQS; after years of pressure, managed to get permission for us to wear masonic collars in the Remembrance Day events (Sussex lags way behind!); produced a booklet for new members of a local Antients' lodge; arranged for a blue plaque to commemorate the earliest officially recorded masonic meeting in 1696 in Chichester; became a provincial mentoring and membership coordinator; took on as Scribe E of a chapter in Hants & IoW; became EP of my KT preceptory; became JW of Quatuor Coronati Lodge (a commitment for the hot seat). All the above during the last ten years and the last seven during 2019. This is not a boast - being a general nuisance is what keeps me going.

Eighty-three, with over sixty masonic years on the clock, seems to have little practical relevance to me. I have to think outside the box, because I don't suppose I'll be able to think much when I'm in it!
Trouillogan

Return to General Interest and Discussion