Work in the Temple

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Work in the Temple

Postby adg31 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:56 pm

We are having problems in my Lodge finding Brethren to deliver some of the longer pieces of work such as the 2nd Degree TB or Traditional History.
This would appear to be a byproduct of the new approach of farming out work traditionally delivered by the WM. This means that it’s quite possible to go through the chair without delivering any of the significant pieces of work.
I know that I’m getting long in the tooth when I say that in my day where it said WM in the book it was the WM who delivered it!
I was interested if this is normal and how anyone else gets around the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adg31
LRUK Master
LRUK  Master

Re: Work in the Temple

Postby Richard George » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:01 am

Fair observation - although it hadn't occurred to me before! Mainly because I tend to be the one called on to do the TB (extended version), and - certainly in my second lodge, the TH .. which often falls on one of the other PMs in my mother lodge.
Richard George
PAGDC (Craft), PProvGTreas (RAC), PPGIWks (Mark), ProvRAMGR, PProvHerald (KT), 30° (A&AR), BB (KTP), ProvConsTwr (ROS)
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby russellholland » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 am

In my lodges it is usual for quite a lot of work to be farmed out. If a charge is rather long then it might be shared/halved once or twice until the brother to which it is allocated has learned it properly.

We like to have a choice for most charges
russellholland

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:42 am

Applying the principle that our temple work is entirely for the benefit of the recipient candidate (not for a perceived enhancement of the speakers prowess), we should use the most capable exponents for the several charges and other significant pieces. Sometimes this does mean sharing out parts of the lengthy items. Often the changes of voice along with the changes of subject focus within the piece is more beneficial for the candidate than a lengthy recitation in just one voice. Remember that these long pieces were compiled from the much earlier catechetical form, when, of course, the answers to the Master's questions were delivered by different brethren seated around the table. So, changes in voice are quite natural to our work and lead to a more conversational style, readily understood by the candidate.
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am

I'd agree with that. I try to do both in such a way that I'm telling a story rather than delivering a piece of ritual. It makes it much easier for the candidate to follow and understand what he's being told. I've had long standing members collar me and say they've never really listened before and have learned something.
Richard George
PAGDC (Craft), PProvGTreas (RAC), PPGIWks (Mark), ProvRAMGR, PProvHerald (KT), 30° (A&AR), BB (KTP), ProvConsTwr (ROS)
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby russellholland » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Not every candidate will follow closely the endless stream of words so when delivering a charge I visualise the meaning of each sentence so that the candidate has the option to pick up the images telepathically.

I taught this to our newest MM and at the recent installation he delivered the charge to the Master to great acclaim - some visiting brethren referring to him as a genius. He is not but he is quite good at generating images and in doing that he is attending to the meaning of every phrase.
russellholland

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Appropriate hand gestures are also helpful, both to the candidate and to the deliverer.
Trouillogan

Postby mindmagic » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:46 am

I always follow my father's advice and deliver ritual mf - mit feeling.

I also follow the advice of Lewis Carroll: "Take care of the sense and the sounds will take care of themselves."
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby Peter Taylor » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 am

russellholland wrote:Not every candidate will follow closely the endless stream of words so when delivering a charge I visualise the meaning of each sentence so that the candidate has the option to pick up the images telepathically.

I taught this to our newest MM and at the recent installation he delivered the charge to the Master to great acclaim - some visiting brethren referring to him as a genius. He is not but he is quite good at generating images and in doing that he is attending to the meaning of every phrase.

Absolutley! When it is delivered correctly the candidate "gets it", and everyone in attendance " gets it" too. There is most definitely a "telepathic" link that is made when the speaker and the candidate connect. It may have yo do with the release of oxytocin, a hormone that increases trust and social approach behavior. Whatever it is, it works!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS 18°, DGC 30°: SRIS VIII° Asst. Sec-Gen: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Guess you got my telepathic response Pete
see you next weekend
eckywan2

Return to General Interest and Discussion