Toast to the ladies,

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Toast to the ladies,

Postby Multisync » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Chaps,

This year I have the honour to give the TTTL.

I did the same last year (Master did 2 years and the SW was absent) but I am getting kinda PC about it and starting to feel slightly uncomfortable about just using the term 'ladies' . These days there are so many other terms acceptable 'significant other' 'partner' etc. We also have a few gay couples who are isolated by this 'ladies' term yet offer the same level of support.

The toast whilst sincere etc has now the opportunity become rather cringe worthy The older generation accept it for what it is but the younger and newer Masons/wives etc can get a bit prickly.

so what does the team think about how to approach this toast being 2019 and all . Carry on like it's 1958 and be damned, or try to modernise it. And if so how?

Frats

Richard
WME
Victory lodge
Multisync
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Toast to the ladies,

Postby Matatu Man » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 am

Part of the richness of Freemasonry, for me, is its age and tradition(s). I feel honoured to be able to take part and perform things that have been done this way for hundreds of years, not just since 1958! Its what forms the fascination of the Fraternity for me.
If it went PC it would kill it for me, IMHO. (28)
S&F,

John Martin
PM, F4, GLL. - http://freemasonry-luxembourg.org/
P.G:.C:., GLL.
Founder, F11 (Grnd Chptr of Belgium)
RA 972 (Prov. of East Kent)
KT 325
MMM & RAM 1815 (Mark Dstrct of Belgium)
Tranquility Lodge 2000, A.F. & A.M.
- http://tl2k.org/
Matatu Man

Postby Ozalid » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 am

This is one of the reasons why I love freemasonry, no wimmin!
Ozalid

Postby RTLM » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:42 pm

This thread is a few months old, but I'm glad it's been resurrected. I feel much the same as you on this Richard (Multisync). I've only been a mason for four years and I too value tradition greatly, I think it would be difficult to be a mason to if you didn't, TBH. However, I have found a tension between the tradition and the importance of inclusivity when it comes to use of the the term "ladies night" and "toast to the ladies" etc. I know brothers who are openly in same-sex relationships, and others who aren't open, and I feel that for them, the term "ladies" could be exclusionary towards their partners, and understandably could cause some discomfort. That's not about taking a "snowflake" approach,  its about not causing offence when there's no need to. I'm not sure that we could at least term it "ladies and partners night" instead - a compromise. I think many younger female wives/partners, mine included, feel the term "ladies night" to be anachronistic - in my case it just causes a roll of the eyes, but times are changing. I'm confident that the terminology will change over time, it's just a question of how long we hang on to it before making the change. I fully understand and respect other views on this, and I have no desire to "die in a ditch" over this issue, this is just my perspective.
RTLM

Postby admin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:37 am

I have a tip

Dont use this one

The Ladies here tonight look so beautiful and I can prove it.

Will every man here who has brought an Ugly woman please stand up.

Now I thought this would get a laugh. BUT two female Mason stood in front of me while I had the mic and would not sit down. I did the rest of the piece dodging round their heads. As I moved to the right they shuffled over and so back and forth.

So dont do it
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Interest and Discussion