Royal Arch Scotland

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Royal Arch Scotland

Postby admin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Is there anyone here who is familiar with

Captain of the blue veil
Captain of the purple veil
Captain of the scarlet veil

Been asked to have the aprons made [ all done ] but cant find a reference to the type or placement of the colours.

Is it a coloured 20 mm circle or a spot of colour (1)
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Royal Arch Scotland

Postby MrMason » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Never heard of or seen aprons for the captain of the veils, certainly not in Scotland.
I don't even think it's in the constitutions?
Regards
Bob
MrMason
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby russellholland » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 pm

It is many years since I was involved in HRA in Australia. Looking up my ritual book the veils in the lodge of E.Ms are dark purple, scarlet, clouded yellow, and iridescent. The "masters of the veils" wore their HRA aprons.

I recall one ceremony. The veils did not cross the whole room so that the companions sitting within the veils were looking straight out into the rest of the room. The companion sitting in the second veil, later complained to me that he could not find his way out of the veils at the end of the ceremony. He said he was lost in another reality.

As a side note: Holy Arch is an ancient Egyptian title for The Most High. TMH is associated with the Pole Star, around which the arch of the heavens rotates. This is referred to in the tracing board where the tiles are in a semi-circle in the east. The Jewish brethren forced the circle of the signs of the zodiac into straight lines so that their Tree of Life could be imposed on the geometry of the chapter.

The origin of the three principals can be found in Sumer - whence Abraham came.

The veils appear to be a late introduction of Hindu teachings about the planes of existence - if so, the companion lost in the second veil was lost in the astral plane.
russellholland

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:07 pm

We have Aprons for our Captains. An emblem with the Jewel of Office is on the flap.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS 18°, DGC 30°: SRIS VIII° Asst. Sec-Gen: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrMason » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi Peter,
I'd be interested in seeing what the badge of office is. I can't see any reference to any Excellent Masters aprons\emblems apart from the member's apron which has a 5 pointed star on the flap, and which we use in our lodge of EM's to invest the candidate with.
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Postby Peter Taylor » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 am

MrMason wrote:Hi Peter,
I'd be interested in seeing what the badge of office is. I can't see any reference to any Excellent Masters aprons\emblems apart from the member's apron which has a 5 pointed star on the flap, and which we use in our lodge of EM's to invest the candidate with.

http://masonic-art.co.uk/images/RoyalArchCaptainofBlueVeil-.png

That's the jewel of office for the blue, similar for the purple and crimson of course.
We also have versions where the jewel is simply a banner.
We have had these for many years, certainly before I joined; so at least 25 years.
Regards, Peter
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS 18°, DGC 30°: SRIS VIII° Asst. Sec-Gen: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Last night I was at a 'Veils' demonstration at GQS, London, and the Captains wore simple coloured sashes from the right shoulder and five-pointed star breast jewels with coloured ribbon. I don't think any aprons were worn but, you know, I really cannot remember! I must ask.
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Interesting ... on the two occasions I took part in a Veils demonstration (my mother chapter used to do it regularly until SGC decided they were the only ones who could), the 'Captains' were called 'Guards to the Veils' - and we wore sashes if I remember correctly. We've traveled all the way to Dorset to do it.
Richard George
PAGDC (Craft), PProvGTreas (RAC), PPGIWks (Mark), ProvRAMGR, PProvHerald (KT), 30° (A&AR), BB (KTP), ProvConsTwr (ROS)
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby MrMason » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Peter Taylor wrote:
MrMason wrote:Hi Peter,

http://masonic-art.co.uk/images/RoyalArchCaptainofBlueVeil-.png

That's the jewel of office for the blue, similar for the purple and crimson of course.
We also have versions where the jewel is simply a banner.
We have had these for many years, certainly before I joined; so at least 25 years.

Interesting Peter, as I've never seen these anywhere else.
Do you have jewels for all the office bearers in the EM degree as well?
There is certainly nothing in the C & L's regarding them unless they are very old items and no longer included in the updated.

We can hardly hang onto our chapter jewels never mind any additional ones so I can't see us obtaining any in the near future, lol
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Postby Peter Taylor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:24 am

MrMason wrote:
Interesting Peter, as I've never seen these anywhere else.
Do you have jewels for all the office bearers in the EM degree as well?
There is certainly nothing in the C & L's regarding them unless they are very old items and no longer included in the updated.

We can hardly hang onto our chapter jewels never mind any additional ones so I can't see us obtaining any in the near future, lol

Hi Bob,

No additional jewels. The Captains in the Veils become Guards in the RA, Our Sojs,, obviously, double as Deacons and IG etc.
Our 3rd P acts as RWMM during any affiliation and our 2nd P acts as RWEM.
Regards, Peter
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Peter Taylor wrote:The Captains in the Veils become Guards in the RA

Ah ha! that answers my question!
Richard George
PAGDC (Craft), PProvGTreas (RAC), PPGIWks (Mark), ProvRAMGR, PProvHerald (KT), 30° (A&AR), BB (KTP), ProvConsTwr (ROS)
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby MrMason » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks Peter.
I've a funny feeling that the same jewels are used for the captain of the veils in the Irish constitution.
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Return to General Interest and Discussion