Resignation within Lodge

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Resignation within Lodge

Postby brianmids » Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Greetings all,

The time has come (the Walrus Said...) to talk of my Resignation (lodge only).
I have thought about resigning for the last couple of years, but have done nothing about it.

Im a fully paid up member, a MM and not a member of any other bodies. as I have always kept things
both straight and simple.

Last year I typed out my Lodge resignation, (but did,nt like the idea of posting it in) .
However, I have now found myself with a stronger confidence, and an ability
to face those in my lodge and resign whilst in personal attendance.
I believe such resignation is EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. And not under any 30/60 day whereby the lodge can
try and coerce the member to rejoin.

What Im seeking is thus:

The point when to Resign in open lodge.
The correct manner in which to do so.
And to to do with fear of intimidation, and without falling out of friendship.

S&F
Brian
brianmids

Re: Resignation within Lodge

Postby eric384 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Personally, I wouldn't go resigning unless I had joined elsewhere. Otherwise you are only allowed to visit a lodge once which is hardly enough to know if t g at one is right for you.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Trouillogan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:10 pm

It's always sad when a brother feels he has to resign from a lodge and particularly if that is his only lodge. I'm assuming you are under UGLE. Ever after, or until you join the same or another lodge, you may visit any or all lodges under UGLE but only once each.

Some of the issues you raise are fully covered in rule 183 in your Book of Constitutions. If you've lost it, it's on the UGLE web site as a pdf file. Briefly, your resignation is effective immediately the secretary receives it - whether orally in lodge or by letter. The lodge then has 60 days (in either case) to try to convince you to withdraw your resignation. Do read the rule so as to get the full picture.

As to your three questions:

• The third rising would be the appropriate point for an oral resignation and you may, if you wish, also retire from the lodge room. That would give you time to leave the building before the lodge closes, if that would make you more comfortable. Have you considered cancelling dinner as well?

• You could stand, face the Master, make your sign and say something like: 'WM, brethren, I hereby under rule 183 B of C resign my membership of this lodge and require bro secretary to post to me a certificate as required by rule 175(ii).' Then either sit or retire from the lodge room giving your salutation at the n w corner. You don't have to give any reason (even if pressed) or enter into any discussion.

• Of course I cannot know the circumstances but if you do feel there may be some intimidation, then it might be best to leave the room and the building.

That's about it; there's no need either, to put anything in writing.

I wish you well for the future and hope you will find another masonic 'home' before long.
Trouillogan

Postby brianmids » Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, and you clearly answered all I was seeking in relation to "the third rising".

S&F
Brian
brianmids

Postby Richard George » Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 am

Is the issue (whatever it may be) something that you may need to discuss privately with someone completely unconnected with the lodge?
Richard George

Postby eckywan2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am

Bro Brian
As you have just joined this forum possible just to ask for advice
PLEASE use us Eric and Richard are both right
If its just a local problem set up a transfer before resigning
and / or speak to someone away from your locality
There is not a lot of info here about you other than Mids after Brian
so perhaps I'm far enough away to assist ( I was born in a wee village famous for 0. internationally)
or perhaps you need someone with specific knowledge of UGLE regs and there are plenty here
So please PM me , or Richard or any other bro here with a phone no and lets have a wee blether
Fraternally
Eck
eckywan2

Postby brianmids » Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks to all for your kind words of support. But Im one of the original members of our lodge still remaining, many have departed over
the last several years - majority dropped off due to a mix of boredom and the petty squabbling, that cost us in terms of holding onto
any new recruits.

My reasons for asking about the "third rising" was too establish if the 60-day "convince you to withdraw your resignation" still applied.
I was rather hoping by resigning in lodge (and it does take balls) would be the end of the matter. I really do not want to spend a
couple of months fending off phonecalls, visits, and such like, when I have made my mind up to resign from Lodge.

A saw a former member of our lodge several days back, and he said "Im suprised you are still there". "I've heard its changed and not
for the better". "I could'nt go back to that... " Im led to believe he's still unattached, but still loves Freemasonry with all his heart.

So once again, thank you for the offers regarding PM chats etc, but Im eager to leave ASAP.

S&F
Brian
brianmids

Postby Trouillogan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Yes, Bro Brian, the 60-day option is there for the lodge regardless of the method you use to communicate your resignation. However, to avoid unwanted contact you can simply tell the lodge, when you stand to give your resignation, not to contact you for that purpose. The secretary will have to send you a clearance certificate, so that is the only contact needed.

Every best wish for your future.
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 pm

You could resign at the end of the financial year - if you time it right, the lodge would not want to put themselves in the position of paying for the new year out of their own pocket (especially if the situation is anywhere close to what you're suggesting)
Richard George

Postby gord_vokes » Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 am

Trouillogan wrote:Yes, Bro Brian, the 60-day option is there for the lodge regardless of the method you use to communicate your resignation. However, to avoid unwanted contact you can simply tell the lodge, when you stand to give your resignation, not to contact you for that purpose. The secretary will have to send you a clearance certificate, so that is the only contact needed.

Every best wish for your future.

In BC and other Grand Jurisdictions in North America, one doesn't resign, rather takes a demit which means the same thing, as long as your dues are all paid up.
A friend of mine took a demit from his Lodge and went to work in a different jurisdiction. He came back almost 30 years later and handed his demit to the Secretary of his Home Lodge and although no members were still there from the time he moved, he obtained membership. To rejoin with a demit requires a two-thirds vote.

My guess is that our Demits are similar to your Clearance certificates.

I bring up another point: If a mason is no longer active in a Craft Lodge, he may not ask for OR continue in any other body beyond the Craft. The only exception here is the SRIA, which is not Masonic body although it requires a man to be an active mason to be invited.

Is a member of UGLE required to retain his membership in a Craft Lodge as well?
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes

Postby Richard George » Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm

gord_vokes wrote:.

Is a member of UGLE required to retain his membership in a Craft Lodge as well?

Depends on the order, but many are moving in that direction (assuming that's the gist of the question as you have to remember that UGLE is craft and doesn't have jurisdiction over anything else).
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:39 pm

As Richard says, it depends on the Order and is nothing to do with UGLE. In England it seems to be the general rule that you need to remain a subscribing member of all qualifying Orders but that is not hard and fast, there are exceptions.

Matters in England are somewhat different from what Gord says about BC & Y, in that so long as you left a UGLE lodge in good standing (dues paid up), you can join any other UGLE lodge, or as many as you like simultaneously, wherever and whenever you like, if they'll have you. You only need to show current letters from all of your lodges (current or past) that say you are fully paid up. If a past lodge no longer exists, then a letter from UGLE is needed.
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 am

And to expand on Trouillogan's last point; the fact that a lodge no longer exists is not a reason to omit it when completing a Form P (application form) - it's absence WILL get picked up and the Form will be rejected by Met/Province/District/Registration and may leave the individual suspended from the lodge he's joining until it's cleared up - ie; checks as to whether money is owed or not.
Richard George

Return to General Interest and Discussion