Country membership

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Country membership

Postby David H » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Good evening Brethren

The following is an extract just downloaded from The Province of East Lancashire (I believe the "home" of The Internet Lodge) Lodge Treasurer’s Handbook:-

"Non-dining or country members. A Lodge may specify reduced fees for non-dining or country members."

(Please note - I copied the extract exactly as it appeared on the East Lancashire site where they are obviously referring to 2 disparate elements - in fact the purpose of my post was to elicit a discussion solely about country membership - apologies for the confusion)

In these days of declining membership do any Lodges actually offer such facilities, for example, to former members now settled so far away as to make attendance impractical if not impossible? If not, why not please? Is such a course not just as valid as offering incentives to joiners of "University Lodges" which existing members of such Lodges are called upon to subsidise.

I have searched without success for the current UGLE capitation fee - can anybody enlighten me please?
Last edited by David H on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
S & F

David
David H
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Non dining/country membership

Postby eric384 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Is/was this a regional thing? I've never known any Lodges in Yorkshire to include dining in the annual fees.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby David H » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:42 pm

eric384 wrote:Is/was this a regional thing? I've never known any Lodges in Yorkshire to include dining in the annual fees.

Yes, thank you Eric. I believe the quote is rather misleading since in Sussex where I was Initiated, Passed and Raised dining was not included in any Lodges that I was aware of. My point really concerns people who for whatever have to or choose to relocate to another area. I don't know why the 2 quite different categories were not better identified in the guidance.
S & F

David
David H

Postby Stevecoath » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 am

The quote from Lancashire is not exactly clear.

All of the units I belong to bar RCC include the dining fee in the annual dues.
Non dining members only pay when they decide to dine.

My Lodge dining fee is just about to increase to £34 per meal so £136 is added to my annual dues.
If I became a non dining member I would expect my fees to be £136 less, but all the other fees would be paid in full (GL, PGL, Temple hire etc)

Is Lancashire saying that Lodges may charge their members less for the other fees?
(I do know country members in the past who have objected to paying the Temple hire on the basis they were not at the meeting)
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Hertfordshire KTP 29, Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby David H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am

Stevecoath wrote:The quote from Lancashire is not exactly clear.

I agree - I now regret posting the complete quote since it has obviously caused confusion and diverted attention away from what it was that I was seeking view on i.e. country membership. I am now going to edit my OP to make it clearer but I don't think I will be able to remove dining from the thread title. Thank you very much for your input.
S & F

David
David H

Postby JulesTheBit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:51 pm

David H wrote:
Stevecoath wrote:The quote from Lancashire is not exactly clear.

I agree - I now regret posting the complete quote since it has obviously caused confusion and diverted attention away from what it was that I was seeking view on i.e. country membership. I am now going to edit my OP to make it clearer but I don't think I will be able to remove dining from the thread title. Thank you very much for your input.

Dear David

As one of the Mods here I have editted the title of your orginal post which now makes it clear what you intended to ask, but I've left the title of the responses the same to indicate that they were responding in a slightly different context.

As secretary of a University Scheme Lodge (Tetragon, MetGL) I can tell you that we have no subsidies for any kind of member though UGLE does reduce fees for members under 25. Some Provinces also reduce their Provincial fees similarly, currently MetGL does not.

Those who emigrate might choose to remain full members - that's their choice - or may resign and find another Lodge. We give them a great deal of assistance in finding a Lodge in whatever country they might move to.

If they decide to resign then they still receive summonses, remain members of the Lodge WhatsApp group, and have a very similar status to a permanently invited guest.

We don't have a concept of country membership because it's not relevant.

In my opinion the Country membership concept dates back to the time when many (most?) Lodges did include dining fees with the subscription. My own mother Lodge did that. These days that idea has become quite unusual and dining is charged separately. I bygone days a Country member would not pay the dining component of the subscription because he did not attend and dine.

Capitation fees: For the present FY UGLE fees are £39.00 inc VAT plus £17 Grand Charity constribution. The Provincial/MetGL component is extra and varies. Your Lodge secretary or treasurer should be able to tell you what that is in your area.

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Re: Country membership

Postby lew finnis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 pm

We used to have quite a discount for Country members, which pleased me when I lived 200 miles away from my Mother Lodge and only attended once in a blue moon. Given the huge proportion that GL dues etc make up of the total fees, we now only have a nominal discount (£5, I think) but we now have virtually no country members anyway.
Lew Finnis
Craft 8093 PPrSGD(Worcs) PDistGStdB(Malta) PDepGDC(GL/BFG),
RA 784 PPrGReg (Worcs) PDistGSwdB(Malta),
Mark 152 590(hon)PPrGJW(Kent)
RAM 152 590(hon) PrRAMGR
OSM 361 436 PAGDC
SC 36 PGS Kent
KT 325 PGtCofG
RC 103 30°
AMD 210 273 PGStwd
ROS PGL Kent
Athelstan 56 72 PPrGReg
RCC 233 PDivStwd
RSM 39 180 PGSwdB
Operatives
KTP 71 PHP
lew finnis

Postby Trouillogan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm

David, as you know, I live on the south coast and have membership of a number of lodges here. My mother lodge, however, is in Derbyshire and I pay a reduced subscription to the lodge as a 'country member' and have done for many years. The lodge subscription does not include a dining fee, so mine is a true 'country member' figure.

The entry in Information for the Guidance of Members of the Craft has this to say:

'ASSOCIATE MEMBERS’
May the term ‘Associate’ Member be used?
This term is not approved, the terms ‘Country’ and ‘Non-Dining’ being deemed sufficiently comprehensive.

David, there's a PM for you.
Trouillogan

Postby MrBenn » Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Dining fees are included for my London lodge annual dues, country members pay a reduced rate which is less the dining
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:52 am

David nice to see you back on here again!
I get confused with English dining clubs
£35 for a meal? isn't it supposed to be a lodge ?
Another I attend in London is £55 for everyone

in this country it is minimal
Last night I had a nice wee meal at formal harmony after a mark
£3 for members free of course to visitors like me
( so I spent a fiver on raffle tickets treating it like a donation)

David I might be up in Inversneckie at end of month and will call to say hello if I get a chance
maybees take you for a £3 meal somewhere
eckywan2

Postby David H » Wed May 02, 2018 5:01 pm

JulesTheBit wrote:If they decide to resign then they still receive summonses, remain members of the Lodge WhatsApp group, and have a very similar status to a permanently invited guest.

S&F, Jules

Dear Jules
I think that is excellent and thank you very much for the information regarding capitation etc which is very helpful.
S & F

David
David H

Return to United Grand Lodge of England