Lodge Bank Accounts - BACS payments

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Lodge Bank Accounts - BACS payments

Postby Richard George » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm

Harmony wrote:I find it really annoying at times that Lodges / Chapters etc don't accept subs by direct transfer, as this is what i do for almost every payment.

A subs request comes out, I e-mail to say "can you give me the bank details and I'll set up a standing order", and the response is "We don't do that. Could you just post me a cheque"? My mind boggles every time I get this, and it is the vast majority of the units i am in that seem to insist on cheque or cash.

My view is that Standing Order is easiest all round, especially if you have your name in the payment details so the Treasurer can just tick you off. I also think that it would mean that people just keep paying automatically, rather than needing chased (and probably after they may have left anyway, as people rarely cancel SO's).

Wow! - I've had a Standing Order in place since 1989 when I joined!
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Peter Taylor » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:32 pm

We have Standing Orders in place.
I pay a monthly fee which covers my annual dues, my weekly collection and a donation to round it up to something you can divide by 12!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS 18°, Grd Comm 30°: SRIS 9° Sec-Gen: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wurzell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Thank you Brethren for the superb and very useful replies.

@Trouillogan in particular for your spot on reply on [url]masonic-forum.com[/url]

"The answer might be to get an up to date Book of Constitutions! All editions since 2012 have had as the final sentence to rule 153(a), the following:

The Lodge may by resolution authorise the Treasurer, but on no pretence any other Brother, to make payments from the Lodge’s account by electronic means; in the absence of any such resolution all payments from Lodge funds shall be made by cash or by cheque.

The newest edition of the B of C is 2018 but is also downloadable from here:

https://www.ugle.org.uk/about/book-of-constitutions"
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Wurzell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

@Trouillogan in particular for your spot on reply on masonic-forum.com

"The answer might be to get an up to date Book of Constitutions! All editions since 2012 have had as the final sentence to rule 153(a), the following:

The Lodge may by resolution authorise the Treasurer, but on no pretence any other Brother, to make payments from the Lodge’s account by electronic means; in the absence of any such resolution all payments from Lodge funds shall be made by cash or by cheque.

https://www.ugle.org.uk/about/book-of-constitutions"
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Wurzell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:37 pm

@Trouillogan in particular for your spot on reply on https://masonic-forum.com/

To quote:

The answer might be to get an up to date Book of Constitutions! All editions since 2012 have had as the final sentence to rule 153(a), the following:

https://www.ugle.org.uk/about/book-of-constitutions
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Glad to have been of assistance - but one 'thank you' is quite enough!
Trouillogan

Postby Wurzell » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:26 pm

My ongoing frustration with the relationship between Freemasonry and banking continues. I have been elected as treasurer of my Chapter. Trying to take over the HSBC held account is proving to be a complete nightmare. I was initially given a set of forms in June to complete, I did so but because I moved house in July by the time I got them all signed off and ready for submission I carefully blanked out my old address with cut out strips showing my new address in the boxes provided. Our Scribe E. dropped the forms off at the branch where the account is held. Speedily we received a letter telling us they had been rejected because the address for me had been altered on the virgin form. Also, any changes had to be completed online by then.

The outgoing treasurer duly spent an age both online and on the phone going through the necessary forms which were then duly completed and sent in by mail. This was rejected as well because the forms had not been ‘signed in accordance with our signing rules.

We currently only have the two signatories the outgoing treasurer and one of our more senior members who has held just about every post in Chapter that ever existed.

This batting contest continued with several attempts to tick all the boxes. Yesterday having completed yet another set of mandates I had an appointment in HSBC Bath with a Business Banking Manager (there is no longer one in the local towns where the account is held or the one to which I have now moved). The young lady went through the mandate that was trying to get me listed as a signatory but speedily concluded that the problem lay with the fact there is no record of who the current Secretary is (Scribe E) nor is the Scribe E listed as a signatory. Neither of the two current signatories is designates as Secretary. Therefore, it seems we are at a total impasse as the jobsworth form must be signed off by the current secretary who must also be listed as a signatory. I have now again written to their customer relations department seeking their advice on how we might resolve this seemingly impossible conundrum.

I have explored the options to 'switch' the bank account to another bank but because I'm not a signatory I can't start that process. Meanwhile, the active year is upon us and subs are trickling in.

Has anyone experience and a recommendation toward how we might get around this silly issue, please?
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Banking Ombudsman??
Trouillogan

Postby Wurzell » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:04 pm

An excellent suggestion thank you for making it Trouillogan. As it seems that others have experienced the same issue with this particular bank I think I will explore that. After all we are asking for something relatively easy to complete and the fact they seem to be cloth-eared about it makes me wonder if they are trying to make Treasurer accounts with them a bit of history.
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 am

Best of luck, Wurzell, I hope they can help. It would seem that some banks are really awkward when it comes to treasurer accounts. Fortunately one of my lodges has an ex-bank manager as treasurer and he seems to have both the 'mason word' and the 'banker word', if there is such a thing!
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Trouillogan wrote:the 'banker word', if there is such a thing!

Quite probably!!
Richard George
Richard George

Postby Matatu Man » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:32 am

Both my UK Royal Arch Chapter and KT Preceptory have always been quite happy to receive a bank transfer from me and other members who are resident on the Continent, as cheques haven't existed here since the 90s.
S&F,

John Martin
PM, F4, GLL. - http://freemasonry-luxembourg.org/
P.G:.C:., GLL.
Founder, F11 (Grnd Chptr of Belgium)
RA 972 (Prov. of East Kent)
KT 325
MMM & RAM 1815 (Mark Dstrct of Belgium)
Tranquility Lodge 2000, A.F. & A.M.
- http://tl2k.org/
Matatu Man

Postby admin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:52 am

I agree I set up Standing Orders some time back just a photo copied paper which member fill in and that can be a rough figure taking into account meals etc. When I had both jobs I had an SO just for Lodge and included Chapter fees which I just paid over in a lump sum.

Paying checks into a Lloyds account can be done at any Post Office, just takes longer to clear and you need a Lloyds paying in slip.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wurzell » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 pm

It's great to see that UGLE have included a BACS payment option this year with their annual return. Will this now catch on with Provincial Lodges?
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Richard George » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:53 am

We've been able to pay Province by BACS for a couple of years now.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby Mike Martin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:52 pm

My favourite catch phrase at talks - "47 Provinces, 30 different ways to do exactly the same thing".
Mike Martin

Previous

Return to General Interest and Discussion