Social Distancing

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Social Distancing

Postby David H » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:09 pm

MrBenn wrote:To be honest I usually find the administrators of these closed groups to be nothing more than egotistical bampots - we used to see it in pre-facebook days with forums springing up left right and centre - now they appear on Social Media as 'closed' groups but the goal is the same - to flatter the ego of the admin

Two years ago I found that comment both supportive and hilarious. In recent days one of those "bampots" has banned a very good Italian friend from posting on a Lodge mail list and I have been threatened with similar treatment for supporting my friend and endeavouring to get a response from other members including the Master. In essence what my friend did was simply to annoy principally one member due to the regularity and slightly "off the wall" nature of some of his posts. Who wouldn't be more than a little scared and fraught living in Italy right now? The person who objected could have simply pressed a button and seen no more of my friends posts, instead of which he posted numerous attacks against my friend on list. The sanction against the responder? Absolutely zero!

We are indeed in very strange times. We have one Lodge acting in this disgusting manner but thank God the vast majority of Lodges are doing absolutely fantastic work to reach out and keep members involved and feeling looked after by ringing around etc. Meanwhile my friend, who describes himself as "ostracised" is effectively in a Masonic wilderness apart from a trickle of emails from those who put loyalty to him before obedience to the bejewelled bampot who banned him. Needless to say I will not be renewing my membership of that Lodge.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Social Distancing

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm

Your action, David, would seem to be quite reasonable, although I know nothing of the detail, and I think you've come across something similar in the past. In that case, the lodge dwindled and closed fairly soon after. It might be that the same will happen there. I realise that the locations of lodges where you are tend to be somewhat scattered but joining (affiliating) another shouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps you can take one or two like minded brethren with you? As a general observation, though, In many (most?) groups you will find a range of behaviours and attitudes. So the occasional bad apple is bound to appear. If the bad apple persists, just move on. This is why the good Dr Oliver's (1782-1867) famous aphorism is so important to bear in mind when taking in new members: 'Be very cautious whom you recommend as a candidate for initiation; one false step on this point may be fatal. If you introduce a disputatious person, confusion will be produced, which may end in the dissolution of the Lodge. If you have a good Lodge, keep it select. Great numbers are not always beneficial.' I'm sure you are well aware of this but others may not be .
Trouillogan

Postby David H » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 am

Trouillogan wrote:,,,,,,,,Dr Oliver's (1782-1867) famous aphorism is so important to bear in mind when taking in new members: 'Be very cautious whom you recommend as a candidate for initiation; one false step on this point may be fatal. If you introduce a disputatious person, confusion will be produced, which may end in the dissolution of the Lodge. If you have a good Lodge, keep it select. Great numbers are not always beneficial.'

Thank you very much for responding and the quotation is absolutely excellent advice. My heart always sinks when I see prospecive candidates told by all and sundry (no doubt all very well meaning) "join my lodge it is absolutely fantastic" when all to often it simply isn't for the person asking the question. It's rather like dentists where everyone thinks they have the worlds best one.

Social media has rafts of stuff supported by UGLE to the effect "raise a glass at 9" etc etc. Many lodges (and the Inner Wheel, which Gill is a Ctte member of) are organising rotas of members to ring around members to make sure they are ok, wheras a member of the lodge I am referring to has effectively cast my new friend, who incidentally lives in Italy where the situation is vile, into the wilderness whilst completely ignoring extremely offensive posts on the same mail list by what I assume to be one of his chums who lives here in the UK where the situation though extremely bad, in no way shape or form equates to that in Italy. The situation absolutely stinks. The poor man is obviously very frightened and needs much more support than I am able to give him, much though I would like to.

Am I stupid to expect that when a complaint is made direct to the WM he should either deal with the complaint in a timely manner or ensure that a nominated member of the lodge deals with the case and provides a sunstantive answer? There has been no substantive timely answer, instead a threat to me from the misguided person who peremptorily banned the Bro. in Italy!

Incidentally although I am based in the Scottish Highlands the Lodge I am referring to is an UGLE one, where centrally such superb efforts are being made to encourage Lodges to do the right thing.

One last question please. Can you advise on what in your opinion is the best/easiest system to use to be in touch with people online. Skype, Whatsapp, or something else?

All the very best to
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am

Given the proliference of iPhones, try Facetime. If you've got his mobile number (and he has an iPhone) he'll have it .. it's included in the OS and there by default.
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 am

David, I think I would have approached the lodge almoner directly with the Italian contact details. It's unlikely that would have met with a rebuff and it's probably not too late to do so now. I'm not at all sure what you mean by the WM having 'banned' that brother. You might also consider talking with the provincial almoner, as he has far more experience than have lodge almoners and he has the contacts to make things happen which, again, a lodge almoner may not, however willing. Discussions with the provincial almoner is in my view the more confidential. In your discussions it might be best not to make reference to the failed efforts you have made so far.

If he is or has been a UGLE member he can make a call along the lines I will send you in a PM.

I'm not the one to ask about social media as I do not subscribe to any such because of my undoubtedly outdated concerns over security and maleficent actors. However, for free one to one video or audio communication I use Skype and that works just fine for me worldwide and without the disadvantages of unwanted social media chatter.

Stay healthy and, after this, wash your hands!
Trouillogan

Postby David H » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Richard George wrote:Given the proliference of iPhones, try Facetime. If you've got his mobile number (and he has an iPhone) he'll have it .. it's included in the OS and there by default.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, unfortunately (in the circumstances) neither of us have an iPhone
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am

What tech stuff do you have access to? (each of you)
Richard George
Richard George

Postby The Uninitiated » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:18 am

Richard George wrote:What tech stuff do you have access to? (each of you)

WhatsApp seems a good app... supports groups as well as one-to-one, with video calls as well as text
Facebook's Messenger is OK for text
Skype is fine for small group calls
Zoom
WebEx
Andrew
Mercury Lodge No.4581 & Mercury Chapter No.4581 - Master & Steward respectively 2020/21
Camberley Lodge of MMM/RAM No.1131 - Senior Overseer 2020/21 & Guardian 2019/20 respectively
A&AR: Ferneberga Chapter No.1096 - Marshall 2019/20
RCC: St George's Conclave No.18
The Uninitiated
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby David H » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:36 am

Richard George wrote:What tech stuff do you have access to? (each of you)

Richard, thank you very much for your help. Myself and my wife each have Ding Ding smartphones which we very rarely use as they are so complicated when rarely used. We also each have "simple" mobiles and numerous pc's spread around the house as we both have mobility problems,

My friend in Italy has a Blackberry and is already connected to whatsapp but I now understand that he does not wish to communicate other than by written messages as he says his english is very poor and he relies upon an online translation service which is obviously excellent.

I am hoping to get Skype going for myself and my wife shortly as it seems fairly simple to implement. Then I am going to have a go at implementing whatsapp for pc for both of us as we both have an aversion to mobiles. Gill has Glaucoma and I have very fat fingers. The daft thing is I pay a hefty amount each month to be able to make "free" UK landline (and possibly mobile) calls but talking on the phone seems to have gone out of fashion :)

Just last night a friend messaged me about his Light Blues Club which is podcasting using Anchor, Spotify etc..... "Stir crazy" thank goodness no, as I am so busy trying all these alternatives. "I used to be confused, now I am not so sure" :)
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:41 pm

The smartphones would appear to be Android devices - WhatsApp would be the best thing there as it has text and video calling .. although don't bother trying the PC version; a) it's unreliable and b) piggybacks on to your smartphone .. it's not supported directly - I've tried it and dumped it, it often loses connection to the smartphone and (from memory) is only text based. For the PC, just use skype .. it's now (semi) built-in as it's owned by Microsoft. You just sign up/connect an account and that's it. The downside is that you get lots of Russian girls "wanting to be your friend".
Richard George
Richard George

Postby David H » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Richard George wrote:The smartphones would appear to be Android devices - WhatsApp would be the best thing there as it has text and video calling .. although don't bother trying the PC version; a) it's unreliable and b) piggybacks on to your smartphone .. it's not supported directly - I've tried it and dumped it, it often loses connection to the smartphone and (from memory) is only text based. For the PC, just use skype .. it's now (semi) built-in as it's owned by Microsoft. You just sign up/connect an account and that's it. The downside is that you get lots of Russian girls "wanting to be your friend".

Richard, I simply can't thank you enough for your kindness in explaining the options for me. I now have WhatsApp installed on my cheap smartphone and your comments about the PC version are most welcome as that's exactly how I proposed to use it. I think for now I will concentrate mainly on Skype - at the moment I am experimenting with communicating with Mrs H on the floor below, before I go live.

Sadly just today I heard from a friend in Ireland, who has a serious long term illness, that he would like to be in touch via Facetime as in his words, "we have much to discuss". I am determined to have a go at that even though I realise it would involve buying an iPhone, but after all you are only young once, and my friend is certainly worth any effort and expense it takes.

Thank you again.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:34 am

My pleasure David.
(I'm a retired software engineer :) )

Facetime is a doddle; you open the app, select the contact (or vice versa), and press either the video camera or text button as appropriate and that's it.
FWIW, I used to have an Android phone (HTC) and, good as it was, I do prefer the iPhone - now on my second incarnation .. started with iPhone 6, now an iPhone 8.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby David H » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 am

Richard George wrote:My pleasure David.
(I'm a retired software engineer :) )

Facetime is a doddle; you open the app, select the contact (or vice versa), and press either the video camera or text button as appropriate and that's it.
FWIW, I used to have an Android phone (HTC) and, good as it was, I do prefer the iPhone - now on my second incarnation .. started with iPhone 6, now an iPhone 8.

Aha - if it's a doddle I might be able to master it then. I am thinking of one of the 6 series as I shall only really be using it to contact my Irish friend. Many thanks :)
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Return to General Interest and Discussion