Grand rank.

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Grand rank.

Postby Tazmaniac1977 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:50 pm

I have posted on here a few times usually when I was not sure about what to think or do on something. I was at a lodge a few weeks ago and the new promotions for grand rank had come out. I was talking with a few members from our light blue club which I am an honorary member of. I am a past provincail officer hence the honorary bit. It was being discussed about what being a grand officer means and if members should stride to be one. It was intresting listening to different view points. Some said you never want to be one. Others wanted it and felt they were not worthy of it. And even more felt it was out of their reach. This is something I even have wondered about to be honest. How should we explain what grand officers are their for. How can members look at gaining it. I know for provincail honours it comes from committee and belive me it's a honour as I had an acting role for my area. Its one of the big myths and legends area really.

What do you guys think?
Stewart Aimson PPrGStwd
Tazmaniac1977
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Grand rank.

Postby Trouillogan » Wed May 01, 2019 11:20 pm

All things come to those who wait!

The so called 'honours' system under UGLE at provincial level differs from province to province. For Grand Lodge, it's beyond the wit of man!

On the more practical side, there is often an almost automatic appointment to an active or a past rank at provincial level some years after leaving the chair of a lodge, with a second promotion a few years later. The periods vary between provinces. If a brother has performed particularly outstandingly over a period of years in a lodge, he may well receive a provincial appointment without having attained the chair. The number of active appointments is limited by rule 68 in the B of C.

Grand Lodge appointments are usually on the recommendation from the province but see rules 18 and 19.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Richard George » Thu May 02, 2019 6:19 am

I can speak with some authority on this as I received Grand Rank as part of the Tricentenary awards.

There are appointments made direct from GQS - and what the appointments are for I've no idea!

AFA Provinces etc are concerned though, normally, the only people that are given Grand Rank as a matter of course are DepProvGM, ProvGSec, ProvGDC, ProvGChStwd, ProvGAlm - all on the recommendation of the ProvGM and normally after they've held the post for a couple of years or so. Grand Lodge can say 'no', but that seems to be rare. It's in recognition for they work they do for the Province (and believe me, it's a lot!)

Other appointments are also on recommendation by the ProvGM, but again, it's down to GQS as to whether those recommendations are taken up, but they will have been recommended for what they've done for the Province or the community, so the wider membership may not have the slightest idea why they've been put forward - more than likely in the larger Provinces, but in the smaller ones (like ours), what the individual has done is generally pretty well known. I can think of only one appointment that cause some surprise.

I can state with some confidence that the first the individual knows about it is when the envelope with 'Private and Confidential' stamped on it drops on the mat; my reaction was 'who the ***k uses that on an envelope; talk about pretentious!'. Then I read the contents and my sons learned some new swear words and I walked around in a daze for some time.
I had no idea whatsoever.
I've since been told that my name had been put forward a couple of times for the normal annual appointments (2/3 names are put forward and GQS pick their preference - we get 1 GO a year), but there'd always been someone doing more prominent stuff - almoner, sec, that sort of thing, so I'd never been 'top of the picks', but the Tricentenary enabled the ProvGM to make additional recommendations - hence me.

What had I done? Well, my first appointment to Province was as Registrar at the time that Adelphi was in the pilot stage and it was my job to use and access it for the Province, warts an' all (we were a pilot project). At lodge level, I'd been WM, secretary and DC for my mother lodge, and Founder, WM and DC for my second lodge, and Treasurer for Cambs Installed Masters. After I took early retirement, I offered to help out in the Provincial Office and ended up as Assistant Secretary for 6 years, implementing our own network and server (where before the ProvSec used his home machine). I took over the editorship of our Year Book (which is what I'm doing now). I'd also (entirely unknown to everyone but 2/3), purchased the Province's domain name back before anyone had a website and created our own site (with the ProvGM's approval) - we were one of the first Provinces to have one (we also beat UGLE to the web), and I pretty much devised the rules we now follow on what can be published. I doubt that they remember, but UGLE contacted us/me and asked what criteria I'd used to decide what to publish, and when the original rules came out they were basically what I'd told them over the phone, so we got a 'kite mark' by return! Interestingly, I watched the other Provinces' gradually appear and the domain names tended to mirror ours .. pglcambs.org.uk. At the time, .org.uk wasn't used much - most sites were .org; the reason I picked .org.uk was simply that it was significantly cheaper! The Wayback Machine's first capture was in 2000 - about the time they started. A WHOIS lookup tells me I registered it in June of that year.
My ownership only came to light 2-3 years ago when the new secretary and website maintainer commented that they'd never seen a renewal request and I said 'that's because I own it and pay for it'. I thereafter transferred it to the Province and they now pay for it.

So here we are a year later and it still feels odd to put on that regalia, and even more odd to be sitting receiving salutes - I still find myself standing automatically when it happens. I'll never get used to it and I still don't feel I've done anything to deserve it.

My biggest regret? That my father wasn't alive to see it.

Hope that gives some background!
Richard George
PAGDC (Craft), PProvGTreas (RAC), PPGIWks (Mark), ProvRAMGR, PProvHerald (KT), 30° (A&AR), BB (KTP), ProvConsTwr (ROS)
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby admin » Thu May 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Richard George wrote:
My biggest regret? That my father wasn't alive to see it.

Hope that gives some background!

My Dad died in 1978, I still talk to him, same with Mum. So long as you remember they are still here.
I say to my numerous Gandkids, when I am no longer here to see you will carry me in your heart,
so when you are naughty you will hear that voice I use " Oh no you don't"
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Oh I know he was there, but you know what I mean. What made it more poingant was that the March QC in 2005 (and my investiture was March 2018) was the last time I saw him alive. He died on the following Saturday - two weeks after we told him his second grandchild was on the way (his first was my sister's son).

And yes, I still talk to them (my mum died the year before I went in the chair), and we live in the house I grew up in. I always tell my 2 boys that their grandparents are watching over them whilst they sleep.
Richard George
PAGDC (Craft), PProvGTreas (RAC), PPGIWks (Mark), ProvRAMGR, PProvHerald (KT), 30° (A&AR), BB (KTP), ProvConsTwr (ROS)
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby admin » Fri May 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Well on his behalf, " Well done Son "

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mike Martin » Wed May 08, 2019 10:09 am

Tazmaniac1977 wrote:How should we explain what grand officers are their for. How can members look at gaining it. I know for provincail honours it comes from committee and belive me it's a honour as I had an acting role for my area. Its one of the big myths and legends area really.

What do you guys think?

From my own perspective (because I know it is not universally shared) I would never encourage any Freemason to seek or pursue Provincial Grand Ranks (or even actual Grand Rank) or even use that terminology when speaking of it, except possibly in the case of "active" Offices where someone is volunteering their time to "work" for the Province.

I was taught that a Freemason should seek his own and his Lodges betterment and his brethren's enjoyment of Freemasonry. These ranks that Provinces, seemingly randomly, give to members are supposed (I thought) to be a reward for years of tireless service to a Freemason's Lodge and his Province. Sadly there seems to be a situation where these rewards have become "Buggins' turn" in several Provinces and create more disharmony than reward.
Mike Martin

Postby admin » Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

What he said

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Wed May 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Let's not see an edifice collapse through the weight of its ornamentation!
Trouillogan

Return to General Interest and Discussion