Lodge Summons - Issued 14-days min?

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Lodge Summons - Issued 14-days min?

Postby bonixuk » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Does anyone know the actual minimum number of days a Lodge Summons needs to be
issued before the actual Lodge meeting is to take place?

According to the following document: (its 14-days min)
http://www.pglel.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... /33174.pdf
Page 7 of the pdf.
But maybe that's just particular to that PGL/area.

Perhaps someone can point me to a rule in the BoC.

S&F
Bob
bonixuk
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Lodge Summons - Issued 14-days min?

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:02 am

I does depend on what is taking place.

Rule 39 requires seven days.
Rule 40 requires seven days.
Rule 83(d)(i) requires three months.
Rule 105(b) requires 14 days.
Rule 106 requires 7 days.
Rule 112(c) requires ten days.
Rule 141(i) requires seven days.
Rule 164(b) requires ten days.
Rule 181(a)(ii) requires 10 days.
Rule 187(i) requires 21 days.

This is not an exhaustive list but you get the idea I'm sure!
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby bonixuk » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:03 am

...This is not an exhaustive list but you get the idea I'm sure!

But certainly an extensive one to be getting on with! (15)

S&F
Bob
bonixuk
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby admin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:15 pm

I always worked on what was drummed into my head by my old Mentor 30 days. That was in thedays with the large size summons and posting them out.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com -
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:24 am

Ah but these days, Bill, a lot can and does happen in those 30-days! Besides e-mail is quick and free.
Trouillogan

Postby colineglos » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am

...Don't forget to check your Spam box.
You would be suprised what end's up in there!
colineglos
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby lew finnis » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Where I am Secretary/Scribe etc, I aim to send the summons out 4 weeks before a meeting, then I e-mail out the menu 2 weeks later. The menu triggers a surprising number of apologies from those who didn't bother first time round (I always list those who have already apologised). It's a deliberate tactic.
Lew Finnis
Craft 8093 PPrSGD(Worcs) PDistGStdB(Malta) PDepGDC(GL/BFG),
RA 784 PPrGReg (Worcs) PDistGSwdB(Malta),
Mark 152 590(hon)999 PPrGJW(Kent)
RAM 152 590(hon) PrRAMGR
OSM 361 436 PAGDC
SC 36 PPrGS Kent
KT 325 PGtCofG
AMD 210 273 PGJD
ROS PGL Kent
RCC 233 PGPref
RSM 39 180 PGSwdB
Operatives RCT VI
KTP 71 PGIIP
PP 12
lew finnis

Postby Stevecoath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 am

I have been asked to send out the menu before and did consider it,
until one of the brethren then remarked that by viewing the menu he could then decide whether to attend the meeting or not.

The confusing thing I find is that some of my units require a confirmation that I am attending and dining, whereas others assume I am, unless I send my apologies.
PM, Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ, Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
WM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; WCN, Gladsmuir RAM 367; EP, Preceptory of Jacques de Molay 670; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440; John Mortimer Council R&SM 247; Edgecumbe Council AMD 35(TI); Hertfordshire KTP 29; VII°, Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Stevecoath

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 am

Some of our ^Units^ in Scotland have masonic meetings and fraternal discussions not just a dining club
priorities please brethren , Lodge unit first, soup and / or pie and pint afterwards with an unknown number of visitors increasing our enjoyment.

Merry Christmas b all
eckywan2

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 am

eckywan2 wrote:Some of our ^Units^ in Scotland have masonic meetings and fraternal discussions not just a dining club
priorities please brethren , Lodge unit first, soup and / or pie and pint afterwards with an unknown number of visitors increasing our enjoyment.

Merry Christmas b all

I quite agree, Ecky, the sooner UGLE lodges get away from this dining club environment the better. And I suspect that the quality of the membership would improve also. Half the evening spent in pointless and repetitive toasting, with vacuous speeches and locked in rigid seating plans; all that stifles fraternal discourse and tends to encourage the trivial, because of the frequent interruptions from the chair.

Grumpy old man here!
Trouillogan

Postby ozmike » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Grumpy old man here!

I don't think you are being a grumpy old man by saying that. As you said, the sooner (not only UGLE) gets away from the dinning club mentality the better.

I visited a RA Chapter here in Vienna and there is no formal dining afterwards although a dinner is provided. It is held in one large room and all the chapters that were meeting on that day are mixed in together. There is no formal seating and no toasts are given. It's a great chance to meet and chat to other companions and any companion can leave when they wish. One of the chapters happened to have an exaltation on that particular day so they did a toast to him which was spontaneously joined in by all the companions from the other three chapters present. Im sure it made a great impression for the candidate on his first convocation.
ozmike
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby wayne cowley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Trouillogan wrote:I quite agree, Ecky, the sooner UGLE lodges get away from this dining club environment the better. And I suspect that the quality of the membership would improve also. Half the evening spent in pointless and repetitive toasting, with vacuous speeches and locked in rigid seating plans; all that stifles fraternal discourse and tends to encourage the trivial, because of the frequent interruptions from the chair.

With you all the way on that

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eric384 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 pm

wayne cowley wrote:
Trouillogan wrote:I quite agree, Ecky, the sooner UGLE lodges get away from this dining club environment the better. And I suspect that the quality of the membership would improve also. Half the evening spent in pointless and repetitive toasting, with vacuous speeches and locked in rigid seating plans; all that stifles fraternal discourse and tends to encourage the trivial, because of the frequent interruptions from the chair.

Wayne

Would make being a DC a LOT easier.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:16 pm

That me sat down recovering from all the agreement !
But I do like French Lodges catering too
Dining clubs take away from the original needs of providing food, shelter, and work for visiting brethren where simple food is all that is required
I joke sometimes with foreigners that we will only provide a pie and pint or cuppa and sandwiches but that as our priority is our craft not fancy dining
J'ai dit
Now which lodge will I choose to visit tonight?
eckywan2

Postby wayne cowley » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:26 pm

eric384 wrote:
wayne cowley wrote:

Wayne

Would make being a DC a LOT easier.

A BIT easier perhaps - I always find getting the ceremonial side of it running well more stressful. The Festive Board is far easier to control

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:59 am

L Roman eagle last night, known as CLX as latin version of its number 160
Soup
Mince and tatties
Free to visitors so I spent a fiver on raffle !
good craik or craic or even crack with an Englishman in the chair, cornwall guy as SD and an Argentinian candidate (2nd)
eckywan2

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:34 pm

eckywan2 wrote:L Roman eagle last night, known as CLX as latin version of its number 160
Soup
Mince and tatties
Free to visitors so I spent a fiver on raffle !
good craik or craic or even crack with an Englishman in the chair, cornwall guy as SD and an Argentinian candidate (2nd)

Visited there about 10 years ago - had a great evening

Wayne
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DavidGoode » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Grumpy old man here!

Grumpy Trouillogan, it doesn’t have to be like that. Come to Cambridge and enjoy!
Isaac Newton University Lodge No. 859, Cambridge
Isaac Newton University Lodge of Mark Master Masons No. 112, Cambridge
Euclid Royal Arch Chapter No. 859, Cambridge
DavidGoode
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby eckywan2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:00 am

David you have missed the point that harmonies should be a chance to speak informally to one an other , to get to know the candidate and help mentor newbies
By the way thats the biggest problem in the disaster that has been Scotland's only Uni lodge
St David 36 in Edinburgh has fallen by the wayside and is making itself a bit of a pariah due to the conduct of some who should know better
Worst of all students who could have been directed to other lodges when they made enquiries at GL or website are NOT taking part in visiting which we still call the life blood of our craft in Scotland . They are not mentored in any way and wither on the vine.
In contrast Ive now got a great pal in one of the last St David brethren before the trial period who is already well known all over Scotland and has been to lodges in Iceland France America and even UGLE.
St Davids now does full dining every meeting ( Saturday lunchtime) and when its trial is over ( soon) no doubt they will report themselves a s a success
eckywan2

Return to United Grand Lodge of England