Hello Brethren - New Member

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Hello Brethren - New Member

Postby Noble A Toast » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello Brethren,

Having very recently been initiated, I thought it would be useful to join this forum to help support my advancement of knowledge and for the purposes of asking simple questions.

Ive been reading various books (Fred's Five Minute Talks, Freemasons for Dummies etc..), and learning the obvious, to keep occupied until my second degree which is scheduled early next year. Luckily I have also had the opportunity to visit 2 other lodges already, and witness initiations/ experience their festive boards.

Being a young Mason in my late 20’s, I am keen to show my commitment to the craft (if only to myself) from the offset. However, I am aware this could conversely be seen as being over eager. Any advice (either general or specific) on this front would be appreciated, even if it is just to let my lodge members know I have been undertaking research, or perhaps offering to bring raffle prizes to the festive board every so often, etc…

I have also paid for a subscription to The Square Magazine, and joined the Quatuor Coronati’s Correspondence Circle as I enjoy reading news and research. I wonder if any brothers on this forum could point me in the direction of other useful magazines, books aimed at EA's and/or online blogs?

Thank you.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

Postby admin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes go to the top of the forum and you will see downlaods plenty stuff there, all FREE.

Welcome
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wayne cowley » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 pm

A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Noble A Toast wrote:Hello Brethren,

Having very recently been initiated, I thought it would be useful to join this forum to help support my advancement of knowledge and for the purposes of asking simple questions.

Ive been reading various books (Fred's Five Minute Talks, Freemasons for Dummies etc..), and learning the obvious, to keep occupied until my second degree which is scheduled early next year. Luckily I have also had the opportunity to visit 2 other lodges already, and witness initiations/ experience their festive boards.

Being a young Mason in my late 20’s, I am keen to show my commitment to the craft (if only to myself) from the offset. However, I am aware this could conversely be seen as being over eager. Any advice (either general or specific) on this front would be appreciated, even if it is just to let my lodge members know I have been undertaking research, or perhaps offering to bring raffle prizes to the festive board every so often, etc…

I have also paid for a subscription to The Square Magazine, and joined the Quatuor Coronati’s Correspondence Circle as I enjoy reading news and research. I wonder if any brothers on this forum could point me in the direction of other useful magazines, books aimed at EA's and/or online blogs?

Thank you.

Welcome 'Noble a Toast'. From what you say, you appear to me to have made some pretty good decisions already! The Square is a good choice because it does not necessarily focus on the official line from GQS but can give other and wider views. In AQC you may find one or two articles tough going at your stage but hang in there and write to the editor with any questions you have. I'm sure you will appreciate the academic rigour of the research these guys do. And you can believe what Bill says, there's no rubbish among the books in his store - and that saves you having to sort things out by trial and error. Fred Lomax's Five minute Talks are very useful, as are ones by Neville Cryer, such as 'I Just Didn't Know That' and 'Did You Know This Too?'. The world is your lobster!
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Noble A Toast » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm

admin wrote:Yes go to the top of the forum and you will see downlaods plenty stuff there, all FREE.

Welcome

Thanks, I will have a look this evening, always good to hear when something is free.

I look forward to contributing to the forum, thank you for accepting my account.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Noble A Toast » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:53 pm

wayne cowley wrote:A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne

Thank you Wayne, good to be here.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Noble A Toast » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Trouillogan wrote: Welcome 'Noble a Toast'. From what you say, you appear to me to have made some pretty good decisions already! The Square is a good choice because it does not necessarily focus on the official line from GQS but can give other and wider views. In AQC you may find one or two articles tough going at your stage but hang in there and write to the editor with any questions you have. I'm sure you will appreciate the academic rigour of the research these guys do. And you can believe what Bill says, there's no rubbish among the books in his store - and that saves you having to sort things out by trial and error. Fred Lomax's Five minute Talks are very useful, as are ones by Neville Cryer, such as 'I Just Didn't Know That' and 'Did You Know This Too?'. The world is your lobster!

Thanks Trouillogan, I will look out for the Neville Cryer books you have mentioned.

It's great to know that I am on the right track and not wasting time or money with the books/subscription/membership that I have already purchased.

As you mention, I am expecting AQC to be quite heavy for where I am masonically, but theres nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end... (I wonder if I'll be saying that when I've started reading).
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Steve Treacle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 pm

A warm welcome from Sussex, Bro!
"Never fire a gun loaded with someone else's bullets."
Steve Treacle
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am

Welcome from sunny Leith in Scotland
where are you based Brother
when are you coming here? Ready whenever you are
Frat greetings too
eckywan2

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am

A warm welcome to LRUK!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Noble A Toast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Steve Treacle wrote:A warm welcome from Sussex, Bro!

Thanks bro.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Noble A Toast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 pm

eckywan2 wrote:Welcome from sunny Leith in Scotland
where are you based Brother
when are you coming here? Ready whenever you are
Frat greetings too

Thanks Brother,

I'm based in Yorkshire. Thank you for the invite!
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Noble A Toast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Peter Taylor wrote:A warm welcome to LRUK!

Thank you brother!
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Peter Dowling » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Welcome to the forum. You can never be too eager. You will find that (in my experience anyway) not many members in your lodge will do further research. I know of only a handfull in my lodges that do.
The best way to further knowledge (along with reading) is to attend all lodge of instructions, even if doing a higher degree. You will get asked to leave before opening in the 2nd degree but can return to see tbe closing in the first. Take interest in lodge workings/proceedings and ask questions to members and on here.
You can ask a question and get 100 different answers!. All the fun of different aspects of Freemasonry!
Have fun and remember, its the journey not the destination thats important. Everyone in your lodge has been where you are now on your journey. Which path you take is up to you. Good luck. (7)
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, PProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby P471 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forum Brother. Enjoy it
S&F
Paul

SD - Silurian Lodge No. 471
Universities Lodge No. 5461
1st AS - Silurian Chapter No. 471
St. Mary's RCC No. 1010
P471

Postby Noble A Toast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Peter Dowling wrote:Welcome to the forum. You can never be too eager. You will find that (in my experience anyway) not many members in your lodge will do further research. I know of only a handfull in my lodges that do.
The best way to further knowledge (along with reading) is to attend all lodge of instructions, even if doing a higher degree. You will get asked to leave before opening in the 2nd degree but can return to see tbe closing in the first. Take interest in lodge workings/proceedings and ask questions to members and on here.
You can ask a question and get 100 different answers!. All the fun of different aspects of Freemasonry!
Have fun and remember, its the journey not the destination thats important. Everyone in your lodge has been where you are now on your journey. Which path you take is up to you. Good luck. (7)

Thank you for the sound advice.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Noble A Toast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm

P471 wrote:Welcome to the forum Brother. Enjoy it

Thanks.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby MrBenn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:37 am

Welcome to the forum

As well as your additional enquiries I can thoroughly recommend reading the first degree ceremony and the charge after initiation - several times - and also the first degree tracing board.
These are the marrow - the rest is the meat - and you will put yourself in very good stead for your future masonic journey if you invest time now to establish solid foundations
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Noble A Toast » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Lloyd Wiebe wrote:Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.

Thanks, over time I hope to add value.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Next

Return to Landing Pad