"Informal Lodge"

The Lodge Room UK research section where you can ask question and get assitance on anything your are researching.

Moderators: Peter Moir, MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

"Informal Lodge"

Postby FreemasonSam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help me with this one. My Lodge King Aelfred 7487 was consecrated in 1956 in Winchester, Hampshire. It was originally formed for the staff at Hampshire County Council and accepted members from all over the public sector. (http://www.kingaelfred.com)

The bit I'm curious about is that it was consecrated an 'informal lodge'. I'm not 100% what this means but speaking to some of the older members of the lodge it appeared that it consisted of several elements:

1. no dinner suits
2. no signs when exiting the lodge or outside of a ceremony (for court bow)
3. no squaring of the lodge

I'm told that there was a book that detailed all these elements and maybe more but it was lost by a secretary a decade or so ago. Can anyone assist or know anything about it?

Sam
FreemasonSam

Re: "Informal Lodge"

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:28 am

In the B of C there is no such thing, so what you describe is just the custom of that particular lodge. There are many lodges where your items 1 and 3 are quite normal. Your item 2 could be considered a matter of respect for the Chair. Some brethren like formality in lodge and some prefer less formal dress and behaviour. Some wear evening dress just for installation meetings and in some, only the officers wear evening dress at their meetings. In one or two University Scheme lodges knee-breeches and hose are worn, along with buckled shoes. Take your pick!
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby FreemasonSam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Thabks, I was aware of that much, it's the reference to a specific book or guide that I was interested in as well. I'll keep looking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
FreemasonSam

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:27 pm

FreemasonSam wrote:Thabks, I was aware of that much, it's the reference to a specific book or guide that I was interested in as well. I'll keep looking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If there is such a thing, I'd be interested to get one.
Trouillogan

Return to Masonic Research