can a women master freemason initatie a male apprentice?

Explanations and examination for the enlightenment of all.

Moderator: MrBenn

can a women master freemason initatie a male apprentice?

Postby goodlight » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 pm

and continue to teach until mastered? If not..why not?

Do women have better morals than male masons?

Are women the real power behind freemasonry?

Do male masons fear that women freemasons hold the power, to good moral freemasonry?

Kind regards
a goodlight
goodlight
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: can a women master freemason initatie a male apprentice?

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:53 am

goodlight wrote:and continue to teach until mastered? If not..why not?

Do women have better morals than male masons?

Are women the real power behind freemasonry?

Do male masons fear that women freemasons hold the power, to good moral freemasonry?

Kind regards
a goodlight

While UGLE 'acknowledges' the existence of women's freemasonry and that, in England, they appear to be regular in all respects other than gender, no interaction is permitted either by UGLE or by the two mail women's Grand Lodges. There is at least one organisation of mixed gender freemasonry which is regarded in a similar prohibitive light.

It has often been said, with some justification, that a woman can be 'the power behind the throne' and 'behind every good man is a good woman'!
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby eckywan2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:05 am

I was asked by a Roslin contact to give a walking tour of Edinburgh Royal miles masonic history to 15 Austrians
But he didnt tell me they were all female!
Great fun with them displaying full knowledge of history and more
eckywan2

Postby harmonw1958 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:18 pm

I don't know much of women Freemasons other than bits and pieces i find on the internet, how did they come about? Is there ritual the similar to Male only freemasonry? do they have the order of Eastern Star?

PM Harmon Weston
St. John's Lodge 29
MW Prince Hall Grand Lodge of New York
harmonw1958

Postby Richard George » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 pm

Their history can be found on their websites - https://www.owf.org.uk/ and http://www.hfaf.org/ .. there are two such GLs in England. The ritual they use is exactly the same as the mens and the regalia they is is also the same (although the owf also wear surplices) - and (certainly here), no, they don't have the Eastern Star - that seems to be specific to the US. And they call each other 'Brother'.
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby eric384 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 pm

The Eastern Star has a sovereign Grand Chapter in Scotland, though many Chapters have closed in recent years. According to their website, they have 10 Chapters in England, mainly in the north, but there are two listed in Hampshire. It is a proscribed body by UGLE but not by GLoS.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby YHWH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:46 pm

(7) (7) http://lodgeroominternationals.com/mass ... 65e19ce397

a rather interesting discussion in this link; do not be scared: google-translate works miracles
WM (Grande Oriente d'Italia)
KBHC
MMM
RAC
RAM
HP
RSM
SEM
York Rite
YHWH
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Richard George wrote:Their history can be found on their websites - https://www.owf.org.uk/ and http://www.hfaf.org/ .. there are two such GLs in England. The ritual they use is exactly the same as the mens and the regalia they is is also the same (although the owf also wear surplices) - and (certainly here), no, they don't have the Eastern Star - that seems to be specific to the US. And they call each other 'Brother'.
Eastern Star is also very active in Canada.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby David H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:36 pm

Richard George wrote:and (certainly here), no, they don't have the Eastern Star - that seems to be specific to the US.

The Order of the Eastern Star (and the other 2 "Womens orders", The Shrine and The Amaranth are still operating in Scotland. I put womens orders in quotes as that is what they are referred to up here albeit that they are open to men and women. Some posts are female only, some posts are male only, and some are gender neutral.

I was interested to see a report and photograph on social media recently regarding a stand operated by a Sussex Lodge at a local event with an HFAF poster prominently displayed amongst the other UGLE posters. I think that is rather a good move. The current Grand Master of HFAF lives in Sussex and at least one of their lodges has the regular use of a malecraft lodge in Sussex, after being priced out by the local Council.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:06 pm

The local women's lodge here in Cambridge use the Masonic Hall.
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm

David H wrote:
Richard George wrote:and (certainly here), no, they don't have the Eastern Star - that seems to be specific to the US.

The Order of the Eastern Star (and the other 2 "Womens orders", The Shrine and The Amaranth are still operating in Scotland. I put womens orders in quotes as that is what they are referred to up here albeit that they are open to men and women. Some posts are female only, some posts are male only, and some are gender neutral.

I was interested to see a report and photograph on social media recently regarding a stand operated by a Sussex Lodge at a local event with an HFAF poster prominently displayed amongst the other UGLE posters. I think that is rather a good move. The current Grand Master of HFAF lives in Sussex and at least one of their lodges has the regular use of a malecraft lodge in Sussex, after being priced out by the local Council.

What is even funnier, David, is that while the HFAF attend our stand at the university Freshers Week with their banner prominently displayed as you noticed, our premises are used by the OWF and prominent in the main entrance lobby is that very HFAF poster - they have to walk past it! The HFAF at the moment only have one lodge in Sussex, as far as I'm aware, and that meets some 70 odd miles away in the Lewes masonic hall. The HFAF G Sec tells me that they and the OWF try to minimise their overlaps without actually staking out territory.

I have addressed the HFAF lodge at Lewes (called off) and it was just as amusing to them when their Master was mistakenly addressed as W Mother! I've not done the OWF yet but they do look rather intimidating en mass. I think it's great that they both use GQS for major celebrations.
Trouillogan

Postby David H » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Interesting points Trouillogan, thank you

I hope I am not driving this thread too far off topic when I mention that I am told the Grand Master of the HFAF travels extensively in England and abroad consecrating new Lodges etc. Just out of curiosity I asked whether she had or would travel to Scotland. I was told she would if there was sufficient demand and so I spoke to several female members of the Eastern Star and asked if they would be interested in joining. To a woman they were absolutely horrified "Oh no, Freemasonry is for men!" was the reply. As has already been mentioned the Womens Orders in Scotland are in quite a rapid state of decline and it seemedm to me sensible for them to suggest putting up posters in Lodges informing the men about the Women's orders in case their wives, partners or girl friends might like to join. That suggestion went down like a lead balloon, with the comment "Oh no, the Masons dont like us!" notwithstanding that roughly 20% or so members of the Eastern Star are Freemasons. I am confused.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:58 pm

I can only say, David, that probably 10% of the masons I know have wives in ladies' lodges - and they normally have more gold braid than their husbands! Seriously though, the ladies seem to be much more circumspect than we are and certainly any advancement is definitely only through merit and ability. Importantly, it gives a further lasting bond to their relationship.

Point them to:

HFAF: http://www.hfaf.org/

OWF: https://www.owf.org.uk/
Trouillogan

Return to Womens Freemasons