Learning Ritual

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Learning Ritual

Postby Lobbus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Thank you so much much for that Gilles, I followed your advice and took a VAK test. It would appear that I am a "visual" learner.

Back to the book!
Regards,
Lobbus
Lobbus
LRUK Master
LRUK  Master

Postby gord_vokes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 pm

gcoudert wrote:There are three/four main types of learners:

Most people are visual or kinesthetic learners; very few are auditory. If, like me, your auditory score is low, forget about the dictaphone method; it simply won't work.

Trust me, this is true. We have used this in schools for years across the globe and it does work. We teachers are now expected to teach the way pupils learn using a multisensory approach instead of expecting pupils to adapt to our way of teaching. This is valid for ritual learning. Hope it helps.

Gilles

Best advice yet.
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby JordanB » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:19 pm

I've recently just learnt the Ancient Charge and found learning it paragraph by paragraph and also typing it out multiple times helped me out a great deal. I also used the recording tool on my iPhone to record myself speaking it aloud and whenever you find yourself with spare time ( on the bus etc.) pop in some earphones and play It over.
Jordan - 21

Master Mason - Minerva Lodge No.250

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
JordanB
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Learning Ritual

Postby thatboy_m » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Repetition always helped me, I remember in university I would learn my notes bit by bit, using keywords to jog my memory if needed.

Also try and sing the parts if that helps as you'll find it works really well! Similar to when you hear your favourite song - you can just sing the lyrics.

Regards ,

Mitesh

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
E.A (1st)
thatboy_m
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby 3651paulh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Wow all this ritual to learn , I've mastered the 1st and second wts and let me a.. In both degrees just been raised so now have 1 or 2 small pieces to tackle thn I'm thinking of maybe 2nd tb or ne corner . Advice on here will be gratefully put to good use as it has taken me 12 months to learn these bits but I do know them inside out even after a few weeks not looking at them

Can't wait to get in to Tyler part of site as I've learnt so much from here already

Yours s&f paul
3651paulh
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Kaiser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:46 pm

3651paulh wrote:Wow all this ritual to learn , I've mastered the 1st and second wts and let me a.. In both degrees just been raised so now have 1 or 2 small pieces to tackle thn I'm thinking of maybe 2nd tb or ne corner . Advice on here will be gratefully put to good use as it has taken me 12 months to learn these bits but I do know them inside out even after a few weeks not looking at them

Can't wait to get in to Tyler part of site as I've learnt so much from here already

Yours s&f paul

The ne corner is one of my favourite pieces of ritual and always a pleasure to do but the best one for me is the 2nd dtb, I did the tb by learning it as three stories. The good thing about it is when presenting it, you have the tb in front of you which is an excellent prompt, I actually looked up a picture of it on google and used it to practice with when rehearsing at home, I found that helped a lot.
Malo Mori Quam Foedari........ I would rather die than be disgraced

Pelham Lodge No. 939
Fire Service Lodge No 8401
Pelham Chapter No 939
Kaiser

Postby vondes » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:03 pm

You are spot on there Allan. There is no easy way except to repeat, repeat, repeat until you can say it forwards, backwards and even upside down and inside out! When anyone asks about learning ritual I like to quote from the working tools of my first degree...
vondes

Postby The Uninitiated » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:18 am

David A wrote:Another great way of learning is to type out the working tools verbatim into a word processor (even Notepad will do). ... Print out the result and carry it around with you.

Isn't there something about solemnly promising that "that I will not write those secrets, indite, carve, mark, engrave, or otherwise them delineate, ... on anything, movable or immovable, under the canopy of Heaven, whereby or whereon any letter, character, or figure, or the least trace of a letter, character, or figure, may become legible, or intelligible to myself or any­one in the world"
;-)
Andrew
PM of Mercury Lodge No.4581 & PSoj of Mercury Chapter No.4581, Ch.Std of Mid-Wessex LoIM No.8859
MMM/RAM: Camberley No.1131 - WM/WM-elect
A&AR: 30° and MWS of Ferneberga No.1096
RCC: PDivStwd(Surrey), DepCapt DivSG., St George's No.18 (etc)
RSM: Weyside No.277 -+- AMD: Farnham No.235
KT: Agincourt No.517 -+- KTP: Chertsey No.195
The Uninitiated
LRUK Super Member
LRUK Super Member

Postby JulesTheBit » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:27 am

The Uninitiated wrote:
David A wrote:Another great way of learning is to type out the working tools verbatim into a word processor (even Notepad will do). ... Print out the result and carry it around with you.

Isn't there something about solemnly promising that "that I will not write those secrets, indite, carve, mark, engrave, or otherwise them delineate, ... on anything, movable or immovable, under the canopy of Heaven, whereby or whereon any letter, character, or figure, or the least trace of a letter, character, or figure, may become legible, or intelligible to myself or any­one in the world"
;-)

That depends on what you consider to be the secrets. If you think every word of the ritual should be considered secret then you should not even have quoted the promise! (27)

If you think the secrets are the details of modes of recognition then you can copy out everything else.

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby eric384 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:33 am

JulesTheBit wrote:
The Uninitiated wrote:

;-)

That depends on what you consider to be the secrets. If you think every word of the ritual should be considered secret then you should not even have quoted the promise! (27)

If you think the secrets are the details of modes of recognition then you can copy out everything else.

S&F, Jules

Nor possess a ritul book
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby mindmagic » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:08 pm

That's why Craft ritual books have gaps and abbreviations.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Previous

Return to United Grand Lodge of England