OT Philippines

Anything you think is news worthy

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

OT Philippines

Postby Eldberg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:22 pm

I know that Masonic aid usually is given locally, but may I ask you all to please think of the Philippines when next you feel like giving? The Red Cross disaster fund may be a good channel.

I am married to a Philippina and she has spent most of her income the last four years building a small house in Baso, Biliran province. The house was finished two months ago and was intended to provide a better accommodation for us when we go there. Her parents and two siblings have a house next door, built of plywood. Our new house was lightweight brick.

At this time we don't know exactly how much remains of any of these houses. Someone managed to get a message through from the nearest town saying the roof is gone. But more important, we don't know if any of the relatives survived. Apparently, many neighbours (living in bamboo houses) took shelter in our house. The place is right in the path of the worst weather, and the city of Tacloban only 100 km southeast was totally demolished.

People in the countryside are the last to receive help. Roads are broken, phones are down, food deliveries are cancelled.

Please pray for them all.

Åke
Tradition is guarding the fire, not saving the ashes.
Eldberg
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: OT Philippines

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:06 am

What a horrible thing those people are having to endure. Prayers sent.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby MrBenn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 am

The images in my newspaper this morning show scenes of total devastation

I hope that your relatives are all safe and well

In the UK you can donate to the Red Cross appeal for the Phillipines using the following URL

http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/M ... yan-Appeal
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eldberg » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:11 pm

We found out a little more concerning our relatives. The immediate family (wife's parents & siblings) are alive but have no food, no electricity and no house. The roof of our house blew away and most other houses in the neighborhood are just gone. Fortunately the Philippine climate means you won't freeze to death, but exposure to rain & wind can still be dangerous. Some cousins and other distant relatives are missing. Wife is on Facebook & Yahoo all the time finding out. If we didn't have a 5 year old daughter, she would have volunteered for the relief group now forming in Stockholm.

Well, that's just us. The rest, you can see on TV.

Åke
Tradition is guarding the fire, not saving the ashes.
Eldberg

Postby MrBenn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 am

Happy to hear that your wife's immediate family are safe, hopefully there will be good news for the extended family soon

in the UK the DEC has formed an appeal in response to the situation in the Philippines, please see www.dec.org.uk

The DEC comes together to form a united appeal across 14 different charities and relief organisations who co-ordinate their response in order to be more effective in times of emergency such as this
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to News Items