Should I or shouldn't I?

Open discussion area for those who wish to learn more.

Moderators: Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar, wayne cowley

Should I or shouldn't I?

Postby lew finnis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 pm

I have for many many years avoided SRIA on the basis that I am more into the historical side of Freemasonry rather than the esoteric. However, I do wonder whether it might give my brain a bit of overdue exercise? I can do a Secretary's job in my sleep (no rude comments, please!) but I don't think I've exercised my intellect very much since I finished teaching 12 years ago. Constructive comments, please?
Lew Finnis
Craft 8093 PPrSGD(Worcs) PDistGStdB(Malta) PDepGDC(GL/BFG),
RA 784 PPrGReg (Worcs) PDistGSwdB(Malta),
Mark 152 590(hon)999 PPrGJW(Kent)
RAM 152 590(hon) PrRAMGR
OSM 361 436 PAGDC
SC 36 PPrGS Kent
KT 325 PGtCofG
AMD 210 273 PGJD
ROS PGL Kent
RCC 233 PGPref
RSM 39 180 PGSwdB
Operatives RCT VI
KTP 71 PGIIP
PP 12
lew finnis
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Postby aprado » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:32 am

Esotericism is the science of the soul, By its theory and practice, we come to know ourselves and creation.
The SRIA helps you on this path by providing in each grade, an introduction to a subject (Numbers, Alchemy etc) for your further investigation.
One subject you will encounter much is the Qabalah, so it may well benefit you to have a little google on the subject and see if it lies within your own compass.
My own personal point of view, The order has improved my life immeasurably with its beauty and among its members, i have found gentlemen whose wisdom has improved my relationship with god and my self incredibly.

Good Luck Lew.
I have desired to do good
But i have not desired to make noise
Because i have felt that noise did no good
And that good made no noise.
-LCDSM
aprado
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Peter Taylor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 am

I think you have already found much of Craft Masonry is already very "esoteric". I'm sure you would enjoy the SRIA Bro. It does require study and commitment and as has already been said, a study of the Kabbalah is essential, so have a look around and see if it awakens any interest in you!
Regards, Peter
Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire, PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789, Honorary, 49, 54, 99, 164, 225, 299, 317, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, Proxy Master 1371 SC, Zambia: Associate 198, Colorado: PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RW Mark Master: RAM, CC: AASR 31°, PMWS, PGC: SRIS 9°: ROoS: OSM: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JulesTheBit » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 am

Just to add to some of the excellent input already posted, SRIA is a more spiritual, philosophical order than most, but it's also very flexible. The papers presented at convocations cover a wealth of subjects and you are free to choose your own path of interest which can take you in many directions.
Some of the Orders you already belong to have quite a deep spiritual, even religious aspect and SRIA goes even further in that direction.
It's not to everyone's taste, evidenced by its relatively small membership, but if you're looking for something that makes you think then it's excellent.
Jules
Metcol and LCA, VII
JulesTheBit

Postby Saracen1970 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:23 pm

I would heartily recommend the SRIS/SRIA Lew

There is so much to recommend it and very little (if any) against it.
Alex
of what use are flambeaux, torches and spectacles to him who shuts his eyes so as not to see?
Saracen1970

Postby wayne cowley » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 pm

I have found that some of the lectures of the First Order grades have certainly made me think deeper. In addition, when there are well researched papers presented (as there was in a College I visited a few weeks ago when a paper on numbers was presented by a fairly new member - linking it to Kabbalah) then there is a great scope for looking at a whole range of areas.

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 am

Go for it Lew !
Ive been very much a devotee of the Historical story of our craft continually fighting to discuss the truth
but SRIS gave me an extra edge to my interests and as Wayne says it make you think deeper about it all,
I like Aprado's comment meeting others and improving relationships !
I'm just a humble old plod who is cheeky enough to demand truth and SRIS has made me think about subjects Id not dared to before.
I'm just researching what should be my first paper with intentions of visiting other colleges to offer it
So watch out Peter here I come !

Yours aye
Ecky
Met coll ,,,,,, the original one that is !
eckywan2

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:48 am

Happy New year all
Care fratres
anyone coming to Edinburgh for Metropolitan College ( 8/1/18) tonight?
eckywan2

Postby eric384 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Unfortunately I'm working in York today.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Apologies Eric I should have posted /advertised meeeting earlier
watch out for the Vikings !
eckywan2

Return to Rosicrucians