Motto

Open discussion area for those who wish to learn more.

Moderators: Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar, wayne cowley

Motto

Postby Urlicht » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I am to be proposed to Metropolitan College in the near future and am interested in how the Fratres decided on their mottoes.

I have many in mind that I like and that encapsulate an ideal or two of mine, but I would love to hear about the thought processes that went into deciding them and for those who have been Fratres for a while, if you have any thoughts on mottoes with the benefit of hindsight.
Urlicht

Re: Motto

Postby Peter Taylor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 pm

School
Regards, Peter
Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire, PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789, Honorary, 49, 54, 99, 164, 225, 299, 317, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, Proxy Master 1371 SC, Zambia: Associate 198, Colorado: PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RW Mark Master: RAM, CC: AASR 31°, PMWS, PGC: SRIS 9°: ROoS: OSM: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby middlepillar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Urlicht wrote:I am to be proposed to Metropolitan College in the near future and am interested in how the Fratres decided on their mottoes.

I have many in mind that I like and that encapsulate an ideal or two of mine, but I would love to hear about the thought processes that went into deciding them and for those who have been Fratres for a while, if you have any thoughts on mottoes with the benefit of hindsight.

Hi Urlicht

I found the process of choosing a motto a really personal and intersting experience.

I decided to try and find a phrase that summed up my attitude toi life and then I Latinised it (I am not sure that is a word!)

I have a reputation for not giving up and I like to finish what I start so I came up with 'achievement through perseverance'

The best I could do when converting it to Latin was 'Perseverando Conficiere' so that is what my Latin Motto is

I look forward to seeing you come in to Metropolitan College do you have a date yet?

All the best
There is nothing more easy than to come to the gate of truth; there is nothing more difficult than to enter it. This applies to most of the wise of this world. 'Louis Claude de St Martin'
middlepillar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Taylor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

My school motto was "Per Perseverantia", (By Perseverance), so I have adopted that.
Regards, Peter
Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire, PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789, Honorary, 49, 54, 99, 164, 225, 299, 317, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, Proxy Master 1371 SC, Zambia: Associate 198, Colorado: PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RW Mark Master: RAM, CC: AASR 31°, PMWS, PGC: SRIS 9°: ROoS: OSM: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Urlicht » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am

Peter - With hindsight I wish I had done some Latin at school as I am now very interested in etymology, but in reality I would have been too busy playing the fool...

Middlepillar - I am taking the same approach, but a friend who learned Latin at school laughed like a drain when I tried to pronounce some of my attempts, and thought Google was doing a Month Python "hungarian phrasebook" on me with its translations. Much funnier for him than me at the moment as I'd rather not start off looking too much of a pillock.

I am hoping to send my form back to my proposer, Chris, tomorrow and am unsure how long it will take until I am invited to come along, but the meeting at the end of Jan would make me a happy man as I have been considering this for ages and now my mind is set I am raring to get going!
Urlicht

Postby gord_vokes » Mon May 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Urlicht wrote:I am to be proposed to Metropolitan College in the near future and am interested in how the Fratres decided on their mottoes.

I was fortunate in that the Celebrant who was also Dir of Studies, a good friend and fellow founder; sent me a sheet of Latin mottoes used in Colleges. One per college of course. I picked : Est Deus in nobis. I got several different translations from different machines. The one I like was: There is a God within us all. I choose that to mean, God is within us all, but only you can understand your way as no two can understand the ineffable the same way. But then of course, you all will understand the quote differently. The beauty of a motto.

S&F,
Gord
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Susurration » Mon May 25, 2015 9:03 pm

When I joined Inverness College there was a long list of Latin mottoes provided, along with (loose) English translations. I didn't spend very long on it at all and chose the one that jumped off the page at me. Since we've got the Aberdeen College off the ground, I've reused the Inverness list, expanded it a bit, corrected some typos and used it for aspirants to choose from.

A couple of aspirants have provided their own mottoes - one was a school motto, one a clan motto.
Cheers,
Bill
Susurration

Postby Saracen1970 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:57 am

In my college (West of Scotland) the secretary chooses the motto, he is very good at it.

Mine is Plus Ultra, which I thought was very apt.
Alex
of what use are flambeaux, torches and spectacles to him who shuts his eyes so as not to see?
Saracen1970

Postby Eckywan » Sat May 30, 2015 10:57 am

Hi all
I got a surprise .....only asked to provide motto on the evening and just before joining

So I abused Police motto.... semper vigilo, and added , in hoc semper vincit, mixed it all up added .... truth
and got.....Veritas Per Vigilo Semper Vincit
I didnt attempt to get any real translation Jist went for it!
BUT secy was a language Professor and he didnt object ( maybees kindly)
and Im happy with MY translation
Truth,by vigilance, always wins.

Susurration Id love to see it "Doric ised"

Eckywan Metropolitan Coll SRIS
Eckywan

Return to Rosicrucians