Term of Office

Open discussion area for those who wish to learn more.

Moderators: Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar, wayne cowley

Term of Office

Postby norwichman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 am

Does anyone know when the current Supreme Magus's Term of office expires? I believe that he was Installed as SM in October 2005, this was initially for 5 years I know he got an extension but I do not know how long that extension was for. Someone told me the other day it was for 3 years. This means technically his Patent has expired if true!

Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help
norwichman
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Term of Office

Postby MrMason » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:16 pm

That's interesting. In Scotland I don't think there is a time limit.

Does that mean he is still in office or is it technically vacant?
Regards
Bob
MrMason
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby bboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:13 am

As Mr Masons says in Scotland it is an job for life, or until the SM decides to pass it on to some other worthy luminary. I would have assumed that it sould be the same south of the border too.
bboy

Postby norwichman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 am

Hi BB

No it is initially for 5 years and then the current SM applied for a further 3 years. It turns out that most of High Council did not realise the term of 3 years ended on 31st Oct. So technically The SM should vacate and hold an election!
norwichman
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby MrMason » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:10 am

Any update on the SRIA situation, has it been resolved?
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Postby bboy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:09 pm

SOunds interesting! Is there anyone else who may wish to take on the role?
bboy

Postby norwichman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Just seen this! sent to me by a friend concerned about the 'fairness' of any election!

TO THE ELECTORS OF THE SOCIETY
Due to miscalculation of dates and conflicting data, the Office of Supreme Magus is currently vacant.
I therefore give notice to the Electors of the Society (Grades 8 and 9) the Electoral College, of the election of a Supreme Magus and invite nominations for the Office of Supreme Magus of the Society which must be accepted by the Candidate and proposed and seconded by 2 Electors of the Society and returned together with a short résumé of why the Candidate considers himself suitable for the Office to the Secretary-General either by post or electronic mail within 14 days.
Ballot Papers shall be sent to all Electors of the Society together with a résumé of each Candidate. The ballot paper shall be returned within a period of thirty days to the Secretary-General to be scrutinised and verified by the General Purposes Committee. Voting will be determined on a transferable vote basis (Majority preference voting – see appendix VIII in the Ordinances)
M.W. Frater John Paternoster has indicated his intention to stand for the Office of Supreme Magus, proposed by R.W. Frater Brian Price and seconded by R.W. Frater John Buffoni.
John has done sterling work for the Society with a period of stability and growth, an efficient and effective administration team and recognition by the Major Orders. Having secured our headquarters and our very precious library; returned our rituals to the ways of our founders; brought in the recognition of the various Christian Rosencreutz awards, it is John’s desire to complete that which he set out to do by completing the new website and introducing a new meaningful Study Course to introduce those who wish, to the basics of the Cabalistic Tradition.

It seems that the SM who is no longer SM having served a full 8 years needs to have an unfair advantage by announcing his intention to stand and sending his resume 14 days before any other would be candidate can do so! A peculiar sens of fair play I dare to venture!
norwichman
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby MrMason » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Norwichman,
It does seem a bit of an unfair advantage seeing as his resume is out before others. I would have thought that after the 14 day period is up all resumes would have been published together.

Although it's not my constitution, one wee point I picked up on, in that does he need to be SM to complete a web site and introduce a new cabbalistic course?
I'm sure if someone else got the job he could still complete his work for the society.
Also does the society need to be recognised by the' mainstream orders'. I would have thought it preferred to remain distant from them and not get caught up in the back scratching that can go on!

As mentioned, in Scotland our SM holds the position until he wants to hand it over, however I prefer the 5yr rule as with our other mainstream orders, but that's as far mainstream as I'd like to see the SRIS go!
Regards
Bob
MrMason

Postby eric384 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:44 am

Bob

There seems to be some within SRIA who would like to see ever closer ties with UGLE and MMH, though there are others who prefer the Scottish "arms-length" situation.

Eric
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby Bro_Madden » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Dear Norwichman,

Just going by the "tone" of your posts within this thread, can I safely assume that you're not a fan of the immediate past Supreme Magus?

S & F

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Bro_Madden

Postby norwichman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Bro Madden

I think the Past Supreme Magus has done a fine job, I wonder why someone who was elected for five years who then asked for another 3 to get the job he started done would decide that he needs another 5 years!

I do feel that GM's can easily fall into the trap of enjoying thier position to the point of it no longer being beneficial to The Order they are running.

Overall though I would say I have lots of respect for the way he has ruled over the Society, I am not sure about the direction the Society seems to be heading now.
norwichman
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Bro_Madden » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:18 am

Norwichman,

Those are valid points which you have put across and in truth points that those on the "lower rungs" probably haven't considered, instead taking each meeting as a singular rather than holding them with forward vision.

I wonder if the ensuing Supreme Magus, whomever that may be, will offer a 5-Year Plan for the viewing pleasure of all Fratres.

S & F
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Bro_Madden

Postby bboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 pm

He surely can't be that compitent at the job (Sup. Mag) if he didn't know he wasn't actually supposed to be Sub Mag any longer!

Thats a bit of a Homer Simson "Doh!" moment
bboy

Return to Rosicrucians