Emirat Temple

The Shriners are coming to Europe, the Middle-East and Africa!! Here is your chance to ask questions and find out about this organisation.

Moderator: JulesTheBit

Emirat Temple

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Emirat Temple #194 in Germany now has it's charter. Welcome to Shrinedom Europe.
Lloyd Wiebe
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Emirat Temple

Postby cemab4y » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:41 pm

I am delighted to hear this. Please post more information, and specifics: location, meeting times, etc. In the USA, the term "Shrine Temple" has been phased out, we prefer to use the term "Shrine Center".
cemab4y
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Charles,

At last years Imperial Session in Toronto it was deemed that the term "Temple" could once again be used.
The new Temple is in Heidelberg. You can find them through yahoo or google by typing in: Emirat temple or emirat shriners
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby seekeroftruth » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Here is the link to their website
http://emiratshriners.org/
"Die Freimaurerei war immer"
G. E. Lessing

"No one possesses the Truth; We all seek it"
K. T. Jaspers
seekeroftruth
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby touristmaniac » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 pm

The organization is headquartered in Tampa, Florida. Shriners International describes itself as a fraternity based on fun, fellowship and the Masonic principles of brotherly love, relief and truth. There are approximately 340,000 members from 194 temples (chapters) in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Republic of Panama, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Europe and Australia.....
Even peace may be purchased at too high a price.
Benjamin Franklin
touristmaniac

Postby gord_vokes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 pm

cemab4y wrote:I am delighted to hear this. Please post more information, and specifics: location, meeting times, etc. In the USA, the term "Shrine Temple" has been phased out, we prefer to use the term "Shrine Center".

As someone has already noted it is now (and properly to my mind) called the Shrine Temple.

Using the term Centre or Center in American was just too pc for most of us. The one I disliked the most was Shriners International, giving it a world-wide jurisdiction which it doesn't have. But it is all hair-splitting in the end. A very good friend of mine's daughter's spine started to curve when she entered puberty and it was bending so quickly if it hadn't been for the Shriners getting the case quickly she would have died from a collapsed rib cage and abdomenal organs and heart and lungs.

Places where miracles like that happened in antiquity were called 'Temples'.
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes

Postby cemab4y » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Frankly, I prefer the term "temple". Not to be a nit-picker, but the miracles do not occur in the meeting buildings, but in the Shriner's hospitals. I have transported kids to/from the hospitals many times, and I have always enjoyed seeing the hospitals up close and personal.
cemab4y
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Megamenza » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:35 am

gord_vokes wrote:
cemab4y wrote:I am delighted to hear this. Please post more information, and specifics: location, meeting times, etc. In the USA, the term "Shrine Temple" has been phased out, we prefer to use the term "Shrine Center".

As someone has already noted it is now (and properly to my mind) called the Shrine Temple.

Using the term Centre or Center in American was just too pc for most of us. The one I disliked the most was Shriners International, giving it a world-wide jurisdiction which it doesn't have. But it is all hair-splitting in the end. A very good friend of mine's daughter's spine started to curve when she entered puberty and it was bending so quickly if it hadn't been for the Shriners getting the case quickly she would have died from a collapsed rib cage and abdomenal organs and heart and lungs.

Places where miracles like that happened in antiquity were called 'Temples'.

This is true. And I believe that there is no space for nit-picking over pc terms in such scenarios as outlined above.

I traveled to the States last year and was surprised with the level of concern I encountered over what words were appropriate in this day and age. There was much talk of how to 're-term' certain things, and attempt to 'universalise.' (Apologies for all these words I am making up ...!)

I am neither celebrating nor condemning this, only remarking.
"Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that." Brother Norman Vincent Peale
Megamenza

Return to Shriners in Europe, Middle-East and Africa