Power corrupts - absolute power ...

Lay out any Complaints and suggestions so we can get to grips with them

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Power corrupts - absolute power ...

Postby colineglos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:34 pm

A short simple suggestion is better safeguarding of individuals against lodge dictatorship. An easy system whereby one can remove or at least report tyranny and not be afraid to speak out when reporting such matters.

Ive come across two cases of where the DC's have run Lodges like their own personal Private Lodge. Both instances were (in my opinion) brought on by the lackadaisical approaches of the WM's. The power of the DC's in these cases - was absolute. I've seen them 'override' WM's decisions, and the WM's themselves have been either lacking knowledge or maybe even to hesitant to challenge the DC themselves.

I reported one DC for trying to intimidate me as I did,nt subscribe to his personal view on some isssue (I received veiled threats of non-progression towards the chair, etc). Little was done, and the PGL just sat on the whole affair, citing that the matter could be dealt with by the Committee (which was itself running scared of offending the DC). A few months later I left the lodge, and last I heard, little had changed (the DC remained unchanged). He remains the power behind the throne. Probably due to the fact he was knowledgeable, and a very domineering sort of guy. I dont think they have had a new EA for years. Which is itself quite sad.

We need simple and effective ways to rid ourselves of such people, especially those who think the lodge is their Private institution.
As my Father said to me "Fascism comes in many forms".

S&F, Colin
colineglos
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Power corrupts - absolute power ...

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I too have seen this sort of thing though not restricted to DCs (as a DC myself you won't be surprised to hear me say that). Lodge Secretaries can also have a similar stranglehold on a lodge.

You are certainly right about new WMs not having the knowledge or experience to challenge overpowering DCs or Secretaries. It was certainly the case when I first went through the Chair, though the second time (about 8 years later was a very different proposition). Unfortunately I can't see things getting much better as brethren seem to be reaching the Chair much faster these days.

In such cases, you have to hope that the Lodge committee has sufficient brethren of experience and backbone to support the WM.

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:32 pm

colineglos wrote:A short simple suggestion is better safeguarding of individuals against lodge dictatorship. An easy system whereby one can remove or at least report tyranny and not be afraid to speak out when reporting such matters.

Ive come across two cases of where the DC's have run Lodges like their own personal Private Lodge. Both instances were (in my opinion) brought on by the lackadaisical approaches of the WM's. The power of the DC's in these cases - was absolute. I've seen them 'override' WM's decisions, and the WM's themselves have been either lacking knowledge or maybe even to hesitant to challenge the DC themselves.

I reported one DC for trying to intimidate me as I did,nt subscribe to his personal view on some isssue (I received veiled threats of non-progression towards the chair, etc). Little was done, and the PGL just sat on the whole affair, citing that the matter could be dealt with by the Committee (which was itself running scared of offending the DC). A few months later I left the lodge, and last I heard, little had changed (the DC remained unchanged). He remains the power behind the throne. Probably due to the fact he was knowledgeable, and a very domineering sort of guy. I dont think they have had a new EA for years. Which is itself quite sad.

We need simple and effective ways to rid ourselves of such people, especially those who think the lodge is their Private institution.
As my Father said to me "Fascism comes in many forms".

S&F, Colin

The problem has answered itself - as this one usually does - by lack of candidates and resignations. Eventually the lodge dwindles until the DC/Secretary finds he's in a lodge of one!
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:03 pm

The DoC has a much less part to play in Scottish Freemasonry, however, very often Lodge Masters are rushed to Chair without the necessary knowledge if "how things work", let alone the Ritual, and (here) it's usually the Lodge Secretary who gets lumbered with sorting everything out.
Regards, Peter
Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire, PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789, Honorary, 49, 54, 99, 164, 225, 299, 317, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, Proxy Master 1371 SC, Zambia: Associate 198, Colorado: PZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RW Mark Master: RAM, CC: AASR 31°, PMWS, PGC: SRIS 9°: ROoS: OSM: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to What can be done to Improve Freemasonry