The Black Cube of Harmony

Lay out any Complaints and suggestions so we can get to grips with them

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: The Black Cube of Harmony

Postby Mark Master » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:06 am

Paterson Burns wrote:It's interesting that you assume you know what org was being referred to.

As a matter of fact, I was a Shriner. My mentor was a Shriner and the very first meeting that had anything to do with Masonry in my life, was being a guest visitor to the Oriental Band. My mentor shaped my perspective on my journey in the Craft.

As well, little else irritates me more than any member, of any org that would presume to tell me that I am not entitled to my opinion, especially if my opinion is drawn from experience.

I am also a Past Master of my Lodge. I have traveled extensively in the Craft and beyond. I am a Mentor. I presently have several brothers whose Masonic journey I am party to and many more who are now Past Masters themselves.

I'm not bashing your organization. Just because I choose to focus on the Lodge, instead of the rest of the orgs, does not mean I think that my favorite part of Masonry is any better or worse than yours.

Why can't we have a hypothetical discussion on what the Masonic landscape would look like if the Craft, AASR, AAONMS, RAM, CR, KT etc... were to fend for themselves for membership?

What if our future requires us to rethink how we do business and how develop and or retain membership?

I'm not quite sure how your Canadian model operates, but throughout Australia any member of an appendant order ,in my case the York Rite must remain in good standing with his own Craft Lodge. It would be financially impossible for any of the appendant bodies to operate independently of the Blue Lodge, nor IMO would it be desirable-if that is what you are suggesting. Under our system, Masonic centres have rostered meeting for ALL Craft and appendant orders. My own RA Chapter officers are the only ones to wear regalia specific to the order in which the Chapter is opened ; the rest of the troops wear the apron and sash of the RA.

As for the Shrine, I can make no comment , except to say that it is in an embryonic stage in Oz at the moment. How it will develop is another matter.

While your opinion is welcomed and valued, I wonder whether it is completely necessary to remind us all of your Masonic credentials. It pays to remember that this an internationally populated forum and everyone is entitled to their views, hopefully expressed in both a polite and respectful manner. Given your stated background, I think that it is beholden upon you to set an example to other less illustrious Brothers, rather than complain when your views are put under the microscope and possibily disagreed with.

S&F
Last edited by Mark Master on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merv Sprague. MM
Lodge Thespian No 268h EC
Mark Master
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby MrBenn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Paterson Burns wrote:It's interesting that you assume you know what org was being referred to.

As a matter of fact, I was a Shriner. My mentor was a Shriner and the very first meeting that had anything to do with Masonry in my life, was being a guest visitor to the Oriental Band. My mentor shaped my perspective on my journey in the Craft.

As well, little else irritates me more than any member, of any org that would presume to tell me that I am not entitled to my opinion, especially if my opinion is drawn from experience.

I am also a Past Master of my Lodge. I have traveled extensively in the Craft and beyond. I am a Mentor. I presently have several brothers whose Masonic journey I am party to and many more who are now Past Masters themselves.

I'm not bashing your organization. Just because I choose to focus on the Lodge, instead of the rest of the orgs, does not mean I think that my favorite part of Masonry is any better or worse than yours.

Why can't we have a hypothetical discussion on what the Masonic landscape would look like if the Craft, AASR, AAONMS, RAM, CR, KT etc... were to fend for themselves for membership?

What if our future requires us to rethink how we do business and how develop and or retain membership?

Which parts of the world have you spent time in and experienced freemasonry?

None of the side orders/appendendant orders can exist without the craft - that is a founding principle of the orders - we can't simply ignore it as an irrelevance

A lot of your assertions about the state of masonry I don't recognise or agree with - if they are a reflection of your current GL then I suggest you get involved and start making changes locally as that would be where you would see the most benefit
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paterson Burns » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 pm

My good Brothers,

I have not stated my Masonic credentials.

I am not offended by my Brother's view of the organization he is partial to, nor will I ever complain when a passionate brother shares his passionate viewpoint.

However, to your questions, even the back handed ones, Brother Lloyd made the assumption that I was not a Shriner and that I was not personally familiar with the organization, so I clarified that and the fact that I don't have an interest in bashing him, or the Shrine.

I am currently active in Masonry in North America, at a national and international level and have been for 10 years now.

I do know a thing or two about change in Masonry, in fact perhaps I may know more about it than most if you were to get right down to it, but I choose not to blow my own horn as there is no value in that and each of our experiences in the Craft has equal value.

I must confess that I have not drilled down into the membership here on LRUK, but I am going to go out on a limb here and submit that..... I doubt there is anyone else here who is as familiar with the state of affairs of our Craft, in Saskatchewan, as I am. If there is, please kindly PM me your contact details and if you are willing to engage, there is always room for those willing to put talk into action.

More to the point though, whether you agree with what I have to say or not, it doesn't change the state of things where I am.

Yes, things really have gotten that bad here and no, there are not checks and balances in place to keep things from getting worse. In fact I foresee change happening here before anywhere else because our GL is almost bankrupt and finds it necessary to again raise the assessment, which in turn will further decrease the number of lodges because most are already in negative cash flow territory.

Yeah fellas, Masonry in Saskatchewan is not healthy and things are really going to get worse.

So just because the landscape of the Craft is rosy in your backyard, you can't assume it is the same all over and those of us left standing in another 10 years time will have some tough decisions to make about the future going forward.

Saskatchewan does not have Ontario's population of Masons and we certainly don't come close to that of the UGLE, so how long can it go on the way it is when dues average $100.00 a year and GL assessment gets 60% of that and rising, when there are fewer and fewer men joining and worse, fewer being retained and only some 2700 members province wide?

Thank you for the excellent discussion so far Brothers, I am grateful for all of your perspectives.
Paterson Burns
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Previous

Return to What can be done to Improve Freemasonry