summer chat

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

summer chat

Postby forester » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am

Hi All, as it is a bit quiet in the office and am on holiday mode (go away in 3 days) I thought i would pose a few queries, however none are based on real events (7) but may generate chat

1. Gent resigns from his lodge but still enjoys the company of the members and would like to attend unofficial LOI held at a members house, would this be allowed ?

2. Gent resigns from his lodge and holds provincial rank, if at a later date he rejoins a lodge in London, would he join as MM or his previous Provincial rank

Just a couple for you all to ponder over (7)
forester
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: summer chat

Postby PM7751 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:02 pm

1. There is nothing to stop a former member of a lodge enjoying a social event with lodge members and there is nothing in Rule 127 to prevent an unattached mason visiting LOIs as often as he wishes- unless he has been excluded rather than resigned, he has resigned from the whole Craft or he has been expelled/ forced to resign from the Craft.

Strictly, "unofficial" LOIs are actually prohibited under the Bof C- see Rule 132. Whether this, or either of the following rules, are more honoured in the breach than the observance is not known.

2. I cannot see anything that deprives a member of his rank when he becomes unattached.
PM7751

Postby forester » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm

thanks for the reply - of course the questions I posed are hypothetical but interesting replies. I shall have to think of some more :-)
forester

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:32 pm

forester wrote:Hi All, as it is a bit quiet in the office and am on holiday mode (go away in 3 days) I thought i would pose a few queries, however none are based on real events (7) but may generate chat

1. Gent resigns from his lodge but still enjoys the company of the members and would like to attend unofficial LOI held at a members house, would this be allowed ?

2. Gent resigns from his lodge and holds provincial rank, if at a later date he rejoins a lodge in London, would he join as MM or his previous Provincial rank

Just a couple for you all to ponder over (7)

1. As the meetings you mention are unofficial, that is, not being held under any sanction (see rules 132-135) by a lodge or by a Provincial Grand Master, then they are private social affairs and your attendance would be up to the person in whose house they are held.

2. If he has provincial rank, then he is likely to have been through the chair of a lodge, in which case he is a Past Master, otherwise he will be a MM. In any lodge that he joins he will take precedence after the most recent PM. He will only regain membership of his Provincial Grand Lodge when he becomes a subscribing member of a lodge in that province (rule 65). He only holds provincial rank within the province that awarded it (rule 72) but he may wear his provincial regalia in other provinces. Don't forget rule 127 about unattached brethren!
Trouillogan

Postby Peter Dowling » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

I was thinking of getting a log cabin erected in my back garden (10m x 5m) as a man cave and setting it up as a lodge room to practise ritual with my freinds (brothers). If this is unofficial and not linked to a specific lodge ( would practise different orders and degrees as and when) would this technically be be breaking any laws? (7)
Mark Well.
Peter
Peter Dowling

Postby JohnXRV » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Peter Dowling wrote:I was thinking of getting a log cabin erected in my back garden (10m x 5m) as a man cave and setting it up as a lodge room to practise ritual with my freinds (brothers)[

Mine is supposed to have my engineering equipment in so I can slowly turn big bits of metal into small bits but it's ended up full of garden furniture, bikes and the BBQ so don't hold your hopes out

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby forester » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

JohnXRV wrote:
Peter Dowling wrote:I was thinking of getting a log cabin erected in my back garden (10m x 5m) as a man cave and setting it up as a lodge room to practise ritual with my freinds (brothers)[

Mine is supposed to have my engineering equipment in so I can slowly turn big bits of metal into small bits but it's ended up full of garden furniture, bikes and the BBQ so don't hold your hopes out

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

(36) (36) (36) (36) (36)
forester

Postby Trouillogan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:56 am

Peter Dowling wrote:I was thinking of getting a log cabin erected in my back garden (10m x 5m) as a man cave and setting it up as a lodge room to practise ritual with my freinds (brothers). If this is unofficial and not linked to a specific lodge ( would practise different orders and degrees as and when) would this technically be be breaking any laws? (7)

No, of course not, other than local planning laws perhaps! It would be ideal as a lodge room because it will end up full of broken down old things that are well past their 'best before' dates. (2)
Trouillogan

Return to General Interest and Discussion