King George VI 1946 Victory stamp

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

King George VI 1946 Victory stamp

Postby thevault » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 am

Good morning,

One of my work colleagues handed me an envelope with a franked stamp this morning as I finished my early shift as, knowing my involvement in Freemasonry, he thought I would be interested.

When I saw it I was indeed as it depicted several very recognizable masonic symbols.

It depicted the King (crowned) facing East to West looking out to a dove with an olive branch, the square and compasses in 2nd degree position and a wall and trowel (significant still in Scottish Lodges)

I then did a wee bit of research and found several articles which I found very interesting and indeed learned several facts I was previously unaware of.

https://www.featherstonelodge.co.uk/1946-victory-stamp/
https://www.postalmuseum.org/discover/c ... ry-stamps/
http://irishfreemasonry.com/blog/?p=2647
https://www.unionwaterloo.org.uk/King%2 ... emason.pdf

If anyone collects stamps and wish this for their collection please let me know and I will send it on.

Regards.
RWM Lodge Carron 139
MMM Lodge Carron 139
PZ Carron RAC 478
PWCN/MEC Carron L & C 478
Falkirk CC 210
thevault
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: King George VI 1946 Victory stamp

Postby Lazza21 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 am

Really interesting, thanks for posting.
Wheatsheaf Lodge No.9445
Clerkenwell Lodge of Installed Masters No.9628
Greenhythe Chapter No.5449
Lazza21

Re: King George VI 1946 Victory stamp

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 pm

A little while ago I was moved to write a short piece on this stamp. The text of which follows thus:
George VI 1946 “Victory Issue” Postage Stamp 1
Description of this design 2
“The stamp was designed by a Mr. Reynolds Stone (a descendent of the painter Sir Joshua Reynolds, but not a freemason). It was one of a number of designs submitted to H.M. King George VI when it was decided in 1946 to celebrate the ending of the second World War and the beginning of a necessary period of reconstruction. Hence the designer used the Dove of Peace (a time immemorial symbol) to symbolise the coming of peace; the trowel and brick wall were to symbolise rebuilding; the square and compasses (the implements of architects and planners) were to symbolise planning for the future. The curly scrollwork, rather than representing a chain of figure threes or the F.P. of F. is simply the artist's device to unify his design. Similarly, the arrangement of the square and compasses is not connected with the F.C. but is an artists/designer's arrangement of those implements well known in a non-masonic context, where the device has appeared on books, maps, charts and pottery since the seventeenth century. It is impossible to state whether or not the masonic symbolism which it is possible to read into some of the design had any influence on His Majesty when he chose the design.
“At the time of the issue of the stamp the King was not Grand Master as, like his predecessors, he resigned all masonic offices on his accession. In 1936 when he succeeded his brother he was Provincial Grand Master for Middlesex, England, and Grand Master Mason of Scotland. He was invested as a Past Grand Master of England at an Especial Grand Lodge held on 30th June 1937 in celebration of his coronation”.

1 The idea for this dissertation was inspired by a Provincial Grand Orator. The content herein, however, is my own.
2 Excerpted from correspondence received from the late Bro. T.O. Haunch, Librarian and Curator, United Grand Lodge of England, printed in Masonic Bulletin, vol. xli, no. 1, September 1977, p. 7.

Speculative Masonic Description
Were one to speculate on this design from a masonic viewpoint, one could envisage a number of fortuitous symbolic references although they probably could not have been in the mind of the designer, not being a freemason. Different ideas might be engendered in the mind of a different freemason, as masonic symbolism has ever been a personal aspect of the art. What follows, therefore, is my interpretation of the symbols that I can see in this design.
1. The overall shape is that of an ‘oblong square’, as is that of our lodge rooms and can be supposed to be oriented east and west.
2. Within this ‘oblong square’ we can regard the crowned depiction of King George VI as being in the position of the ruling master of a private lodge and situated in the east, thereby representing such a master. Until his accession to the throne, he was a ruler in the craft, being the Provincial Grand Master for Middlesex as well as Grand Master Mason of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
3. The united square and compasses has ever been one of the chief and most recognisable symbols of freemasonry and is here shown in a most prominent position; the square reminding us to square our conduct in life and the compasses to keep our thoughts and passions within due bounds of propriety.
4. The trowel reminds us that no matter how high an eminence a brother has reached in outside life, he is proud to exchange the regal sceptre for the masonic trowel, which used to be the implement provided to the newest masonic apprentice on his acceptance into the craft. Nowadays, the trowel also reminds us that we are bound to spread the cement of human kindness wherever we we find it wanting.
5. The bricks can be a representation of that human and spiritual edifice that we begin to build from the moment we are admitted into freemasonry and continue to construct thoughout our lives.
6. The dove and olive branch are, to us, symbols of hope; the dove being the messenger and the olive branch that message. The combined symbol is the identifying badge of the lodge deacons whose duties are to bear messages from the master.
7. The curly scroll-work hints at the intricate windings of this mortal life through which we are conducted as we approach the throne of grace.
8. The number 3 appears thoughout the world generally as an important symbol within many fields of thought: philosophy, religion, alchemy and esoteric traditions, also as a portent of either good or bad luck in different cultures and situations. For freemasons, we have three great lights, three lesser lights, three principal officers, three original Grand Masters, three craft degrees – the list is endless!
9. The letter ‘D’ can imply duty, diligence, dedication and many other wholesome ideas we should keep in mind.
10. Two pillars between which each of us must pass in travelling from east to west, each comprising seven letters, equal in number to the seven liberal arts and sciences: grammar, rhetoric, logic, arithetic, geometry, music and astronomy.
11. The colour purple, a combination of red and blue, is associated with royalty, mystery and piety – we have had and have now royal members. Mystery is a word that relates to the secrets of various operative trades which used to perform the ‘mystery’ or trade plays in medieval cities but now degenerated into summer processions in some towns. Piety keeps us in mind of our religious duties.
Trouillogan

Return to General Interest and Discussion