Lodge Officer Duties - Standing Down

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Lodge Officer Duties - Standing Down

Postby colineglos » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Greetings,
Which is the correct way to "Stand Down" from Lodge Officer roles.
Im currently an SD, and I have been informed that shortly I shall be asked to accept the role of JW.

I just feel I need time out of "Officer" roles, and would prefer to sit quietly on the benches (as an ordinary Bro member)
Im bit exhausted, and need some time to gather myself.

I don't want to get to a point when I say "No thank you" when they are actual investing officers.

Do I need to resign my current role, and then refuse to accept the new one?
Info regarding a clear procedure would be appreciated.

S & F
Colin
colineglos
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Lodge Officer Duties - Standing Down

Postby Richard George » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Just speak to your secretary and Master Elect and let them know the situation. You'll remain as SD until the installation, at which point someone else will be appointed/invested as JW.
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby eric384 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 am

I agree completely with Richard, but don't be surprised if they try to talk you in to taking the JW position. Be firm. Tell them that work/family etc come first and you don't have the time to dedicate to getting the JW part right at this time, but you hope to be able to return at some point in future (don't say when, otherwise they might want to hold you to it). The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing nd turn up because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to.
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby colineglos » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm

eric384 wrote:I agree completely with Richard, but don't be surprised if they try to talk you in to taking the JW position. Be firm. Tell them that work/family etc come first and you don't have the time to dedicate to getting the JW part right at this time, but you hope to be able to return at some point in future (don't say when, otherwise they might want to hold you to it). The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing nd turn up because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to.

It was brought to my attention that a fellow brother would have to take the JW role, and that he alreadly has two already positions.
Bit of violins at dawn, but although Im not happy with the emotional blackmail... I did,nt want to put added pressure on a brother who has
also been my good friend since school days.

Maybe by 2019 God willing I can take a back seat.

S & F
Colin
colineglos
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Richard George » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Be aware that you are only allowed to hold one regular office; that's not to say that you can't also hold an 'additional' office. So whether or not he can hold 3 offices (incl. JW) will depend on the 2 he already holds. To be fair though, JW and SW don't really have too much to do; they're really quite quiet offices to give you chance to prepare yourself for the Master's Chair.
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am

As I'm sure all should be aware, although the offices of JW and SW are not demanding in themselves, it is the preparation for the master's chair that is demanding and does take up a great deal of time, thought and self examination. You could say that is why the wardens' work appears light. So the move from SD to JW is a step not to be taken lightly. If being on the officer 'ladder' is seen as a commitment, then the wardens' posts are doubly so and to enjoy them with advantage to the lodge requires as clear a view of one's own future as possible.
Trouillogan

Postby Peter Taylor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am

Richard George wrote:Be aware that you are only allowed to hold one regular office; that's not to say that you can't also hold an 'additional' office. So whether or not he can hold 3 offices (incl. JW) will depend on the 2 he already holds. To be fair though, JW and SW don't really have too much to do; they're really quite quiet offices to give you chance to prepare yourself for the Master's Chair.

You need to visit my Mother Lodge!
The JW delivers the S&S in every Degree, including the Mark and has a fair bit to do in the 3rd Degree as well.
The SW is responsible for delivering the Apron Charge in every Degree, and has a got a good bit to do in the 3rd Degree as well. He is also (officially), the Lodge prompt and there is no written ritual allowed in the Lodge Room, so he has to know it all. He then goes straight to the Chair!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wayne cowley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Richard George wrote:Be aware that you are only allowed to hold one regular office; that's not to say that you can't also hold an 'additional' office. So whether or not he can hold 3 offices (incl. JW) will depend on the 2 he already holds.

Not sure that is strictly true RIchard.

Officers of a Lodge
104. (a) The regular Officers of a Lodge shall be the Master and his two Wardens, a Treasurer, a Secretary, two Deacons, an Inner Guard and a Tyler. The Master shall appoint as additional officers an Almoner and a Charity Steward, and may also appoint as additional officers a Chaplain, a Director of Ceremonies, a Mentor, an Assistant Director of Ceremonies, an Organist, an Assistant Secretary and a Steward or Stewards, but no others. No Brother can hold more than one regular office in the Lodge at one and the same time, but the Master may appoint a Brother who is holding a regular office to one additional office also.

If the brother referred to does fill the office of JW then he can only fill one additional office.

Interestingly, there is no stipulation on the number of additional offices that a Brother can hold if he does not also fill a regular office.

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm

colineglos wrote:
eric384 wrote:I agree completely with Richard, but don't be surprised if they try to talk you in to taking the JW position. Be firm. Tell them that work/family etc come first and you don't have the time to dedicate to getting the JW part right at this time, but you hope to be able to return at some point in future (don't say when, otherwise they might want to hold you to it). The main thing is to enjoy what you are doing nd turn up because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to.

It was brought to my attention that a fellow brother would have to take the JW role, and that he alreadly has two already positions.
Bit of violins at dawn, but although Im not happy with the emotional blackmail... I did,nt want to put added pressure on a brother who has
also been my good friend since school days.

Maybe by 2019 God willing I can take a back seat.

S & F
Colin

I don't understand - what are his other positions?
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stevecoath » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 pm

iirc, You can only hold 1 of the following Regular offices - WM, SW, JW, Chaplain, Treasurer, Secretary, SD, JD, IG, Tyler
and 1 of the additional - Almoner, Chaplain, DC, Charity Stwd, Mentor, Asst DC, Asst Secretary.
So you can be WM and Charity Steward for instance, but not WM and Treasurer.
Remember IPM does not count as an Office.

Not sure how a regular officer can also be DC though.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Hertfordshire KTP 29, Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Richard George » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Fair point Wayne ; didn't have the BOC to hand, one regular office and one additional. Stevecoath - no reason the treasurer can't also be the DC.
Richard George

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Once again the older masonic traditions in Scotland shine through as demonstrated in Peters response.
that the WWardens have more to do especially as we don't just read as many do elsewhere.
One can only hold one office at a time ( EG not both Doc and Treasurer) BUT can be in one office and stand in elsewhere as needed ( EG I'm PM, in office as Almoner, usually this last year have been Biblebearer and even Chaplain too
all at same meeting)

PS I may seem to be lazy in grammer missing out periods etc But I just cant see then on PC if not wearing glasses full stop
eckywan2

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 pm

Richard George wrote:Fair point Wayne ; didn't have the BOC to hand, one regular office and one additional. Stevecoath - no reason the treasurer can't also be the DC.

Guess what - those are exactly the positions that I currently hold in my Mother Lodge!

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm

wayne cowley wrote:
Richard George wrote:Fair point Wayne ; didn't have the BOC to hand, one regular office and one additional. Stevecoath - no reason the treasurer can't also be the DC.

Guess what - those are exactly the positions that I currently hold in my Mother Lodge!

Wayne

If you think about it, Treasurer is the only regular office that doesn't have anything else to do during the normal running of a meeting - most of his work is done outside the lodge, so it's the most obvious combination of regular/additional office ...
Richard George

Postby wayne cowley » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:16 am

Quite so - and that was exactly the logic behind us doing so.

Wayne
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Interest and Discussion