Lewis and freemasonry

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Lewis and freemasonry

Postby KTG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Hello Brethren,

Wast night at the festive board we had a discussion about the right of our sons to join earlier than the age of 21.

Now this in Bulgaria is not a common practice, haven't checked if it's allowed at all. I promised the brethren to research the subject and report on our next meeting.

As I was initiated in England when I was 20, on that premise that I was a son of a mason, I would like to ask about some assistance on reading on the history of that tradition.

S&F,
Kalin

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
KTG

Re: Lewis and freemasonry

Postby admin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

I believe you can be initiated at 18 if you join a University Lodge or your Father is a Mason.

However you still have to get permission from your Province first.

I have had an application turned down twice. That was because the Father was a joining member ?
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

First, the word 'lewis' appears nowhere in the UGLE Book of Constitutions. It does appear in the accompanying booklet Information for the Guidance of Members of the Craft but only in relation to precedence in lodge if one of two brethren are initiated together and one is a lewis.

Now, as to the age of initiation under UGLE - 21 is the minimum age allowed normally but a candidate can be accepted under certain circumstances by dispensation down to the age of 18. Dispensations are granted by Provincial or Metropolitan Grand Masters. Among the special circumstances is if the applicant is a university student applying to a lodge in the UGLE Universities Scheme. Other special circumstances may apply at the discretion of the Provincial Grand Master.

In Scotland a lewis may be initiated from the age of 18 but that does not apply under UGLE where being a lewis carries no weight.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Richard George » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Strictly speaking, anyone can be initiated at 18, but only with a dispensation which are only granted in special circumstances or more often, when the lodge applying is one in the university scheme - and then only when the university intake comes from pretty much all over. At 21 no dispensation is needed.

Here in Cambridge we have two universities; the University of Cambridge and Cambridge University. The former is the one everyone knows, and the latter is more correctly known as Anglia Ruskin. The lodge connected to the former (INUL) regularly apply for and are granted dispensations, whereas the latter's intake by and large are more local and so any applications are looked at more closely. I should note that there is (to my knowledge) no lodge in the scheme that is 'connected' to the AR; any applications are just directed to one of the various lodges that meet in the city.

I would also note that there is a second lodge in the University Scheme with connections to the University of Cambridge - Alma Mater... but it's intake is normally restricted to postgraduate students so doesn't need to ask for dispensations (!)
Richard George

Postby KTG » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Thank you brethren, that was very informative.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
KTG

Return to General Interest and Discussion