Resignation Vs Demit

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Resignation Vs Demit

Postby Richard George » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 am

... And state the date from which you wish your resignation to be effective to ensure you don't become liable for next year's subscriptions!
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby kimosabe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:24 pm

bonixuk wrote:
Richard George wrote:There is a form - but it's only for those wishing to resign from Freemasonry. That's obtained via the Provincial Secretary direct. But working on the assumption you're only resigning from the lodge, it's just a letter bearing your signature stating you are resigning as of such and such as date (can be in the future - eg. last day of the lodge's financial year and before the next year's subs are due). As Trouillogan said, you don't need to give any reason why you are resigning.

I think it best I keep it straight and simple, a quick letter to the lodge secretary, and hopefully that's that.
I was going to resign next year before the new financial year, but I've just found out that I've been removed
from my lodges mailing list.

I found out by chance as a brother asked me if I was attending the xmas social festivities etc - I said I had no idea of dates and such.
He then forwarded me a copy of the invite, and after looking in the "CC" section of the email, I found all the subscribing members
email addresses except my own - which for some reason had become omitted. I phoned up the lodge secretary who informed me
their was a glitch on his PC, and that it would be rectified asap.

Maybe so, but apparent I've also been omitted from several other December "Get togethers" . I now realise I must
resign and resign quickly, if only for my own sanity. I really am too old for silly games.

As Trouillgan stated earlier in this section, occassionally things like this do happen, but thankfully they are rare.
Thanks for all your comments. I really do appreciate the advice given.

Hopefully, I can now contribute something more joyful to this forum! (44)

S&F
Bob

Bob,
Sometimes maturity and age never quite amalgamate within a person and lodge politics is simply an extension of that. Whenever I hear "ahh but in this Lodge we do it this way", I translate it to mean "I demand we do it my way and nobody has successfully disagreed". This is not Freemasonry, it's politics; one of the two outlawed subjects of discussion, the other being discussion of Religion, which are ironically also the most widely inflicted and misrepresented topics in any lodge meeting but that's by the by.

If you were joining my lodge and I knew even half of your history, you would be welcomed as a brother among equals and nobody would be looking down on you. Some of us have worked hard to eradicate such nonsense politics and you are the Mason we and I know many other Lodges, are looking for!

take your time,

Kimosabe
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Steve Treacle » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Bob, Best of luck finding a new lodge. I am sure you will soon get settled.
Ordo ab chao.
Steve Treacle
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby banjocrewe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:37 am

Does any one know how to resign from a Lodge, when one is not of a "fixed abode".

I spend about 8-12 months per year traveling around the UK. Im seeking to resign from one of my Lodges,
mainly due to difficulties attending.

However, Im no longer in a fixed abode, and the company I work for books me into a hotel, or B&B for
the period Im in that area.

How do I resign from Lodge, (by written resignation) if this is the case, especially if my details no longer
have been update as I earlier requested in writing to the Secretary.

S&F
John.M
banjocrewe
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:10 pm

banjocrewe wrote:Does any one know how to resign from a Lodge, when one is not of a "fixed abode".

I spend about 8-12 months per year traveling around the UK. Im seeking to resign from one of my Lodges,
mainly due to difficulties attending.

However, Im no longer in a fixed abode, and the company I work for books me into a hotel, or B&B for
the period Im in that area.

How do I resign from Lodge, (by written resignation) if this is the case, especially if my details no longer
have been update as I earlier requested in writing to the Secretary.

S&F
John.M

It doesn't matter if you have no fixed address - think Navy! Write your resignation to your lodge secretary. If you wish to give a contact address, then give your company address and for correspondence to be marked 'Private, for addressee only'. Let your company know you might have mail so marked. They should then be able to get correspondence to you in the normal way. When you resign, make sure your subscription is up to date first. Then at some future time you can ask for a clearance certificate, otherwise it will be difficult for you to join another lodge in the future. All that can be done by e-mail but not the resignation, which must, in your case, be by a physical signed letter.

Every good wish.
Trouillogan

Postby banjocrewe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for the NAVY hat-tip !

If I send a letter of resignation into one of my lodges, how do I prevent the secretary
from reading out all my personal details in front of lodge.

Could I mark the letter: Prviate and Confidential?
Or wouldn't that cut it, so to speak.

We've had alot of newbies join and I dont really mix that well with them
(different kettle of fish), or Im too set in my ways perhaps, and I dont want
my details flowing about in Lodge.

Regards,
S&F

John.M
banjocrewe
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

banjocrewe wrote:Thanks for the NAVY hat-tip !

If I send a letter of resignation into one of my lodges, how do I prevent the secretary
from reading out all my personal details in front of lodge.

Could I mark the letter: Prviate and Confidential?
Or wouldn't that cut it, so to speak.

We've had alot of newbies join and I dont really mix that well with them
(different kettle of fish), or Im too set in my ways perhaps, and I dont want
my details flowing about in Lodge.

Regards,
S&F

John.M

No need for you to put any reasons or private details in the resignation letter. In a nutshell, all you need to say is that you resign from the lodge with immediate effect under rule 183 and that you require your clearance certificate under rule 175(ii). You need say nothing more.

If in future anyone asks you why you resigned, you can just say it was for private reasons. Some lodges may say they need to put a reason on their 'exit form' for the province. No they don't!

Once the secretary receives your resignation letter, your resignation is irrevocable unless the lodge votes to ask you to reconsider. To which, there is no need for you to respond if you wish your resignation to stand.
Trouillogan

Postby eckywan2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi guys
Im always sad to hear of any such need to resign but c'est la vie
just be carefull and follow Trouillys advice and dont fall into the problem that others have
( specially my redcoat pal )

Hope it all works out for you brother!
frat
Ecky
eckywan2

Postby banjocrewe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:21 pm

... But how do I stop my Residential Address being ready out in Lodge,
as I hardly know half the people who are currently brethren?

Its very much a matter of privacy.

S&F
John.M
banjocrewe
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 pm

banjocrewe wrote:... But how do I stop my Residential Address being ready out in Lodge,
as I hardly know half the people who are currently brethren?

Its very much a matter of privacy.

S&F
John.M

I'll send you a PM.
Trouillogan

Postby banjocrewe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Appreciate it. Many thanks.
banjocrewe
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby David H » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:40 am

The post made a few minutes ago disappeared almost immediately - I hope that signifies a resolution to the problem. Good luck for the future
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm

I hope so too.
Trouillogan

Previous