Existing Military lodges with Travelling warrants

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Existing Military lodges with Travelling warrants

Postby forester » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:25 am

Whilst at lodge meeting last night discussion was made regarding military lodges and travelling warrants. I know of two - Glittering star and St Pat's lodge both of the Irish Constitution. At one time most regiments in the British Army had a lodge but now, as far as I am aware, only one actually is connected with a regiment - St Patrick's 295 (Royal Dragoon Guards) currently based at Catterick who always have a good installation meeting in November to which I will be attending.

Unfortunately my own lodge Glittering Star 322 no longer has a connection with its regiment (29th regiment of foot / Worcestershire regt)

Just one for you all to muse over.

regards
Chas
WM Glittering star 322
forester
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Existing Military lodges with Travelling warrants

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

Can't have Officers and men fraternising, don't y'know!
Trouillogan

Postby forester » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:50 am

Trouillogan wrote:Can't have Officers and men fraternising, don't y'know!
(2) of course not
forester

Postby ozmike » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm

When and why was the connection lost?
ozmike
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby forester » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm

ozmike wrote:When and why was the connection lost?

Not sure, during the 17th 18th centuries it was very popular in the military but as time moved on I think it fell out of favour.
forester

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Maybees it was popular as a place where officers and men could meet on the level !
eckywan2

Postby Mike Martin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm

forester wrote:Unfortunately my own lodge Glittering Star 322 no longer has a connection with its regiment (29th regiment of foot / Worcestershire regt)

What efforts has the Lodge made to reach out and try to re-establish that historical link? Obviously the 29th will have forgotten the Lodge as it went through a load of amalgamations over the last 130 years but the Lodge hasn't. I know if I was in the Chair of that Lodge I would be in correspondence with the Mercians' Regt Assoc to see if there was any wish to rekindle a regimental tradition.
Mike Martin

Postby ozmike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 am

Could the reason for there no longer being a connection with the regiment be that the lodge is now under the GL of Ireland? I assume it was the then English GL that originally issued the Travelling Warrant?
ozmike
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 am

ozmike wrote:Could the reason for there no longer being a connection with the regiment be that the lodge is now under the GL of Ireland? I assume it was the then English GL that originally issued the Travelling Warrant?

No reason to assume that at all, the British Army (I suspect the Royal Navy was the same) always had collections of Freemasons from the 3 Home Grand Lodges. As mentioned above St Patricks 295 (GLoI) is still attached to a British Regiment.
Mike Martin

Postby ozmike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Was St Patricks 295 under GLoI when it was consecrated? I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the history of the GL of Ireland
ozmike
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm

ozmike wrote:Was St Patricks 295 under GLoI when it was consecrated? I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the history of the GL of Ireland

On 24th June, 1758, the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ireland granted a Warrant to establish a Masonic Lodge in the First Regiment of Horse, afterwards the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards, and then styled the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards, and now styled the Royal Dragoon Guards,-it having ceased its role as a Cavalry Regiment and now operates as a unit of the Royal Armoured Corps
Mike Martin

Postby ozmike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info.
ozmike
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Just for completeness it was an Irish Lodge No. 441 travelling with the 38th Regt of Foot (British Army) that Initiated Prince Hall in Boston in March 1775
Mike Martin

Postby forester » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Mike Martin wrote:
forester wrote:Unfortunately my own lodge Glittering Star 322 no longer has a connection with its regiment (29th regiment of foot / Worcestershire regt)

What efforts has the Lodge made to reach out and try to re-establish that historical link? Obviously the 29th will have forgotten the Lodge as it went through a load of amalgamations over the last 130 years but the Lodge hasn't. I know if I was in the Chair of that Lodge I would be in correspondence with the Mercians' Regt Assoc to see if there was any wish to rekindle a regimental tradition.

I believe the approach has been made at various quarters but as yet no uptake. I am currently the WM and the only member still serving (although these days as a reservist) with the regiment after several amalgamations. St Pat's lodge still has a good link with their regiment.
forester

Postby JulesTheBit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 pm

forester wrote:
Mike Martin wrote:

I believe the approach has been made at various quarters but as yet no uptake. I am currently the WM and the only member still serving (although these days as a reservist) with the regiment after several amalgamations. St Pat's lodge still has a good link with their regiment.

I was a camp follower of 322 before you became a member Forester. I recall the secretary at that time trying hard to build a good link with the regiment without much success :(

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby Mike Martin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:02 am

forester wrote:I believe the approach has been made at various quarters but as yet no uptake. I am currently the WM and the only member still serving (although these days as a reservist) with the regiment after several amalgamations. St Pat's lodge still has a good link with their regiment.

That is such a shame! Travelling Warrants were once such an integral part of the Craft and responsible for much of its spread around the World.
Mike Martin

Return to General Interest and Discussion