Meeting blaggers/ Cowans

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Meeting blaggers/ Cowans

Postby kimosabe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:46 am

Ever met anyone who wanted to or who tried to blag their way into a lodge meeting who wasn't a Freemason?
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Re: Meeting blaggers/ Cowans

Postby Mike Martin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Not into a meeting no but I have come across many both on the Net and in person who pretended to be Freemasons.
Mike Martin
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby JulesTheBit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:00 pm

kimosabe wrote:Ever met anyone who wanted to or who tried to blag their way into a lodge meeting who wasn't a Freemason?

Yes, I know a situation where this was attempted using a relative's regalia and GL certificate. Did not succeed, but came very close.

Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby Peter Dowling » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Not a meeting but a few who have claimed to be on the SQ but were not. Obvious when talk to them though.
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, PProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:02 pm

I know of someone who purported to be a Mason for personal gain; but he never attempted to gain entrance into a Lodge.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stevecoath » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:35 am

A guy who I once worked who kept mentioning he was a high level Freemason but of course could never tell anyone about all the secrets he knew. Every day he wore a square and compass ring as well.
One day he was asked if he was in the same Lodge as myself (he didn't know I was on the square)
The next day and every day after he never wore that ring to work and tried to claim he had never admitted being a freemason.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Richard George » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 pm

I know of someone who did gain admission as a guest of a member of the lodge. He attended a number of times I understand. His host then died just before he was to propose the guy for joining membership, so someone else did on the say-so of the now-deceased brother (who had been one of the lodge 'seniors'). Unfortunately, the secretary omitted to check the certificate(!) or gain clearance and it wasn't until the guy was being pre-registered that it was found that there was no record of him in Adelphi and that the quoted lodge name and number of his mother lodge didn't match - they were opposite ends of the country. The secretary was wrist-slapped big-time(!) and was made to chase the guy concerned. When eventually cornered - it took the secretary several attempts, he confirmed that he wasn't a mason at all.
Richard George

Postby kimosabe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:14 pm

I wonder why they wouldn't simply apply to join like everybody else and if found to not be insane, permitted to join and find out for themselves. I don't think they'd be around much after their first, if it wasn't for them.

I suppose the long-standing secrecy surrounding Freemasonry has much to do with people either pretending to be a Mason to abuse the position, or not realising how easy it is to join. It's not as if Grand Lodge can do background checks on anybody and even the periodic declaration of criminality or whatever it's called, is a waste of time.

Just wondered, as apart from the usual online loons, i've never personally come across it.
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Peter Taylor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:06 pm

kimosabe wrote:I wonder why they wouldn't simply apply to join like everybody else and if found to not be insane, permitted to join and find out for themselves. I don't think they'd be around much after their first, if it wasn't for them.

I suppose the long-standing secrecy surrounding Freemasonry has much to do with people either pretending to be a Mason to abuse the position, or not realising how easy it is to join. It's not as if Grand Lodge can do background checks on anybody and even the periodic declaration of criminality or whatever it's called, is a waste of time.

Just wondered, as apart from the usual online loons, i've never personally come across it.

Like a lot of folk I suppose? Wanting something for nothing? Attention seekers? Trouble maker? Trollers? And more!
Regards, Peter
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:53 am

Or just didn't want to pay the 50 odd quid registration fee. He obviously enjoyed it enough to want to be a joining member. Probably didn't realise that details would be checked during the process and was too far in to go back and admit what he'd done knowing he'd then never get the chance to do it properly.

And in case you're wondering how I know all this, I was the Assistant Provincial Secretary doing the preregistration.
Richard George

Postby kimosabe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Peter Taylor wrote:
kimosabe wrote:I wonder why they wouldn't simply apply to join like everybody else and if found to not be insane, permitted to join and find out for themselves. I don't think they'd be around much after their first, if it wasn't for them.

Like a lot of folk I suppose? Wanting something for nothing? Attention seekers? Trouble maker? Trollers? And more!

Maybe but why assume the worst? But isn't there something valuable in demonstrating to people whose curiosity gets the better of them (however that manifests), that Masonry can help them to become a 'better' person after all? Is that not the purpose of all of this? So they start off on the wrong foot (which would be the right foot ;) and through this experience, discover themselves to be worthy of good friends.... who aren't mad (I speak for myself there ;)?

Just reflecting on this and thinking out loud...infact I might also have been muttering out loud but let's not talk about that
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Peter Taylor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am

kimosabe wrote:
Peter Taylor wrote:

Maybe but why assume the worst? But isn't there something valuable in demonstrating to people whose curiosity gets the better of them (however that manifests), that Masonry can help them to become a 'better' person after all? Is that not the purpose of all of this? So they start off on the wrong foot (which would be the right foot ;) and through this experience, discover themselves to be worthy of good friends.... who aren't mad (I speak for myself there ;)?

Just reflecting on this and thinking out loud...infact I might also have been muttering out loud but let's not talk about that

It'd be interesting to find out if anyone who actually attempted to gain entry into a Lodge using false credentials, actually did join the Craft? IMHO I doubt that very much, but there are 1000s of years experience on LRUK, so I may be wrong!
Regards, Peter
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Not quite what you were meaning Peter but I was once at St Davids 36 now the university lodge, when a group of 4 Italians appeared
instantly identified as Grand Orient and not recognised here , by the RWM who was French
Why did they come ? without writing or even checking if they were going to be allowed when even I knew they were not
and they even went to bother / expense of hiring full kilt outfits for the occaission !
My only thought is suggestion of French habit of visiting non recognised lodges but NOT signing attendance book which offer I have decline a few times over there
eckywan2

Return to General Interest and Discussion