Visiting Masonic locations while on holiday

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Visiting Masonic locations while on holiday

Postby Noble A Toast » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Do any brethren, when on holiday in foreign jurisdictions, make a habit of visiting Masonic locations either as a tourist (to tour a building etc..) or for attending a lodge meeting?

I thought it may be interesting to have a thread for brothers to post where they have visited to date, any recommendations or tips they have, and where they would like to visit in the future.

I will be flying to the USA with my other half in a few months, hoping to visit a couple of masonic sites if I get the chance.
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Visiting Masonic locations while on holiday

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Enjoy your travel and visiting. Visiting lodges abroad can have its pitfalls because many are not 'regular' or 'recognised' by our Grand Lodge. You would need to check with our Grand Lodge through your own lodge secretary - he will know the ropes. As to freemasonry in the USA, there are Grand Lodges in each State and their freemasonry has considerable differences from the way e run things here. Of course, go and see anything of masonic significance and you will undoubtedly meet and talk with masons there. You will find 'masonic' jewelry being worn by all and sundry - not just masons, so beware!

Enjoy your trip.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby MrBenn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:38 am

As a first degree you will find visiting as a tourist easier than attending meetings - and I would definitely encourage it
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Noble A Toast » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 pm

MrBenn wrote:As a first degree you will find visiting as a tourist easier than attending meetings - and I would definitely encourage it

Thanks, I'll look to see if there are any public tours!
Noble A Toast
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby forester » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 pm

I always tend to 'snoop' around the outside of a temple when abroad and on occasion have ventured inside for a show around when by chance a member happens to be on here (2) Adds to the joy of a organisation that is universal
forester

Postby JulesTheBit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:57 pm

A couple of weeks ago I set up a visit to Zetland Hall in Hong Kong for an EA in my Uni Scheme Lodge. Without a GL certificate such visiting isn't as easy as it will be when you have your 3rd degree, but it's possible if your Lodge secretary or another experienced brother understands what needs to be done and can help you.

I was in San Francisco for a few weeks at very short notice in the 1990s. The hospitality was almost overwhelming, I lost count of the Lodges I visited.

Enjoy!

S&F, Jules
Tetragon Lodge, 6302 and other Lodges & Orders
JulesTheBit

Return to General Interest and Discussion