Masonic jewellery outside Lodge

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Masonic jewellery outside Lodge

Postby topcat1974 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Just interested in peoples opinions. In lodge I usually wear S&C cufflinks and a subtle signet ring with the S&C engraved on it.
Until recently i've only ever worn that ring in Lodge - never in public. But I am wondering how many UGLE masons wear masonic jewellery outside Lodge?
As I live in an area where i dont know any masons would it be an idea to find other brethren? Or is it too "overt"?
topcat1974

Re: Masonic jewellery outside Lodge

Postby JohnXRV » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

topcat1974 wrote:Just interested in peoples opinions. In lodge I usually wear S&C cufflinks and a subtle signet ring with the S&C engraved on it.
Until recently i've only ever worn that ring in Lodge - never in public. But I am wondering how many UGLE masons wear masonic jewellery outside Lodge?
As I live in an area where i dont know any masons would it be an idea to find other brethren? Or is it too "overt"?

I'm only an EA (so no masonic ring yet) but wear my cufflinks and provincial tie outside the lodge. I'm proud of becoming a freemason but want to be discreet and will explain their significance if I get asked

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Mike Martin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:55 am

I recently stopped wearing my black onyx S&C ring that I've been wearing for some 10 years since my other half bought it for me (just a phase no actual reason). I can report that apart from the usual places it had also connected me to several brethren who follow the same non-League football team that I do but who I wouldn't have known if it weren't for it. It also sparked some interesting conversations during that time, one with an unattached Mason who is now considering coming back to his Lodge.

In my opinion you should feel free to wear it. However, do remember that when you choose to do so you are choosing to act as an "Ambassador" for the Craft and you should ensure that your behaviour does reflect what Freemasonry is supposed to be so that non-Masons don't get the wrong idea.
Mike Martin
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby topcat1974 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 pm

You know Mike that is exactly how I feel. I've worn it a few times and i am very conscious of other peoples impressions and it therefore makes me try to be a "better" person
That can only be a good thing :)
topcat1974

Postby JohnnyTheFox » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 pm

I've worn a forget-me-not on my business suit for some years now but as this has now also been adopted as a symbol for those suffering from dementia, I may need to re-think this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
JohnnyTheFox
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Mike Martin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 am

JohnnyTheFox wrote:I've worn a forget-me-not on my business suit for some years now but as this has now also been adopted as a symbol for those suffering from dementia, I may need to re-think this!

I find that the forget me not isn't really a good one to wear outside of a Lodge if you want people to know you're a Freemason. It is yet another emblem that we merely borrow and add to its history of use as an emblem. For me this was reinforced when I found out that the "potted history" (supplied with them) has been proven to be legend (let's say allegorical) rather than fact as wearing a non NAZI approved emblem in NAZI Germany would have lead someone to be shot just as quickly as the Square & Compasses, it has also been a relatively common jewellery icon for a couple of centuries (see here: http://artofmourning.com/2011/03/27/sym ... et-me-not/ ).

I used to work at events around the UK including the London and Southampton Boats Shows up to about 12 years ago and thought that the FMN would be a good one (having seen it so many times in Lodge) to wear but all I was meeting were members of the Jill Dando Fund. I know that the British Nuclear Veterans Association encourages its members to wear them as well.
Mike Martin

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Ive two favourites
no 1 is a small thistle emblem with a discreet square and compass inside
which at first glance looks like just a Scots thistle
but on the other hand will be recognised by a brother

also available from bill / Admin here
is a red poppy with choice of Square or mark keystone ( etc) within
which I wear year round as remembrance should not only be on 11/11

Go on Bill what else have you got available !!
eckywan2

Postby kimosabe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Mike Martin wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:I've worn a forget-me-not on my business suit for some years now but as this has now also been adopted as a symbol for those suffering from dementia, I may need to re-think this!

I find that the forget me not isn't really a good one to wear outside of a Lodge if you want people to know you're a Freemason. It is yet another emblem that we merely borrow and add to its history of use as an emblem. For me this was reinforced when I found out that the "potted history" (supplied with them) has been proven to be legend (let's say allegorical) rather than fact as wearing a non NAZI approved emblem in NAZI Germany would have lead someone to be shot just as quickly as the Square & Compasses, it has also been a relatively common jewellery icon for a couple of centuries (see here: http://artofmourning.com/2011/03/27/sym ... et-me-not/ ).

I used to work at events around the UK including the London and Southampton Boats Shows up to about 12 years ago and thought that the FMN would be a good one (having seen it so many times in Lodge) to wear but all I was meeting were members of the Jill Dando Fund. I know that the British Nuclear Veterans Association encourages its members to wear them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

A reflection on expression:
Thankfully, due to the continued diversity of our society, so much as glancing sideways at a person for looking a certain way, is often considered offensive or inappropriate. If Freemasons want to go shopping, jogging or anything else in full dress regalia, then who is to say otherwise?! We and the rest of our society are not under siege and we should do everything we can to ensure that this message is reinforced, by demonstrating our hard-won freedoms at every given opportunity.

I have never and will never make obfuscatory excuses for being a Mason any more than I do for the colour of my skin, beliefs or behaviour and when I wear my regalia or discuss my membership with anyone, I do so with great pride. Doing anything otherwise negates so much of the great work done over many decades, to counter shameful oppression. Neither do I ever rub anyone's nose in it that I am a Mason. It's as normal to me as breathing.

Hope that minor rant serves as a reminder of how great some parts of our modern society are. We have earned well deserved freedoms, so that's something to shout about, lest they be eroded away unnoticed, one-by-one!

Kimosabe
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 am

kimosabe wrote:
Mike Martin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

A reflection on expression:
Thankfully, due to the continued diversity of our society, so much as glancing sideways at a person for looking a certain way, is often considered offensive or inappropriate. If Freemasons want to go shopping, jogging or anything else in full dress regalia, then who is to say otherwise?! We and the rest of our society are not under siege and we should do everything we can to ensure that this message is reinforced, by demonstrating our hard-won freedoms at every given opportunity.

I have never and will never make obfuscatory excuses for being a Mason any more than I do for the colour of my skin, beliefs or behaviour and when I wear my regalia or discuss my membership with anyone, I do so with great pride. Doing anything otherwise negates so much of the great work done over many decades, to counter shameful oppression. Neither do I ever rub anyone's nose in it that I am a Mason. It's as normal to me as breathing.

Hope that minor rant serves as a reminder of how great some parts of our modern society are. We have earned well deserved freedoms, so that's something to shout about, lest they be eroded away unnoticed, one-by-one!

Kimosabe

I'm not following the logic of that rant being attached to a quote of me explaining why my experience leads me to feel that a forget me not isn't a good emblem to be worn if you want to show you're a Freemason???
Mike Martin

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 am

The forget-me-not is often misunderstood but the correct story is here by a mason friend of mine who was interned by the Nazis. As you will see, it was not worn generally until after 1947:
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/bernheim3.html

I do find that its wearing provides recognition between masons. The public generally are not aware, why should they be? As it is also used by other organisations, is that a bad thing? Of course not and if it bring you into contact with others of a caring disposition, surely so much the better.

As far as the wearing of masonic regalia in public is concerned, this is forbidden under UGLE rule 178 unless permitted by dispensation - clear and simple. Rings, pins, ties and so on are not 'masonic regalia' as defined in the Book of Constitutions.
Trouillogan

Return to General Interest and Discussion