Masonic jewellery outside Lodge

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Masonic jewellery outside Lodge

Postby topcat1974 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Just interested in peoples opinions. In lodge I usually wear S&C cufflinks and a subtle signet ring with the S&C engraved on it.
Until recently i've only ever worn that ring in Lodge - never in public. But I am wondering how many UGLE masons wear masonic jewellery outside Lodge?
As I live in an area where i dont know any masons would it be an idea to find other brethren? Or is it too "overt"?
topcat1974

Re: Masonic jewellery outside Lodge

Postby JohnXRV » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

topcat1974 wrote:Just interested in peoples opinions. In lodge I usually wear S&C cufflinks and a subtle signet ring with the S&C engraved on it.
Until recently i've only ever worn that ring in Lodge - never in public. But I am wondering how many UGLE masons wear masonic jewellery outside Lodge?
As I live in an area where i dont know any masons would it be an idea to find other brethren? Or is it too "overt"?

I'm only an EA (so no masonic ring yet) but wear my cufflinks and provincial tie outside the lodge. I'm proud of becoming a freemason but want to be discreet and will explain their significance if I get asked

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Mike Martin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:55 am

I recently stopped wearing my black onyx S&C ring that I've been wearing for some 10 years since my other half bought it for me (just a phase no actual reason). I can report that apart from the usual places it had also connected me to several brethren who follow the same non-League football team that I do but who I wouldn't have known if it weren't for it. It also sparked some interesting conversations during that time, one with an unattached Mason who is now considering coming back to his Lodge.

In my opinion you should feel free to wear it. However, do remember that when you choose to do so you are choosing to act as an "Ambassador" for the Craft and you should ensure that your behaviour does reflect what Freemasonry is supposed to be so that non-Masons don't get the wrong idea.
Mike Martin
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby topcat1974 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 pm

You know Mike that is exactly how I feel. I've worn it a few times and i am very conscious of other peoples impressions and it therefore makes me try to be a "better" person
That can only be a good thing :)
topcat1974

Postby JohnnyTheFox » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 pm

I've worn a forget-me-not on my business suit for some years now but as this has now also been adopted as a symbol for those suffering from dementia, I may need to re-think this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
JohnnyTheFox
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Mike Martin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 am

JohnnyTheFox wrote:I've worn a forget-me-not on my business suit for some years now but as this has now also been adopted as a symbol for those suffering from dementia, I may need to re-think this!

I find that the forget me not isn't really a good one to wear outside of a Lodge if you want people to know you're a Freemason. It is yet another emblem that we merely borrow and add to its history of use as an emblem. For me this was reinforced when I found out that the "potted history" (supplied with them) has been proven to be legend (let's say allegorical) rather than fact as wearing a non NAZI approved emblem in NAZI Germany would have lead someone to be shot just as quickly as the Square & Compasses, it has also been a relatively common jewellery icon for a couple of centuries (see here: http://artofmourning.com/2011/03/27/sym ... et-me-not/ ).

I used to work at events around the UK including the London and Southampton Boats Shows up to about 12 years ago and thought that the FMN would be a good one (having seen it so many times in Lodge) to wear but all I was meeting were members of the Jill Dando Fund. I know that the British Nuclear Veterans Association encourages its members to wear them as well.
Mike Martin

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Ive two favourites
no 1 is a small thistle emblem with a discreet square and compass inside
which at first glance looks like just a Scots thistle
but on the other hand will be recognised by a brother

also available from bill / Admin here
is a red poppy with choice of Square or mark keystone ( etc) within
which I wear year round as remembrance should not only be on 11/11

Go on Bill what else have you got available !!
eckywan2

Postby kimosabe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Mike Martin wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:I've worn a forget-me-not on my business suit for some years now but as this has now also been adopted as a symbol for those suffering from dementia, I may need to re-think this!

I find that the forget me not isn't really a good one to wear outside of a Lodge if you want people to know you're a Freemason. It is yet another emblem that we merely borrow and add to its history of use as an emblem. For me this was reinforced when I found out that the "potted history" (supplied with them) has been proven to be legend (let's say allegorical) rather than fact as wearing a non NAZI approved emblem in NAZI Germany would have lead someone to be shot just as quickly as the Square & Compasses, it has also been a relatively common jewellery icon for a couple of centuries (see here: http://artofmourning.com/2011/03/27/sym ... et-me-not/ ).

I used to work at events around the UK including the London and Southampton Boats Shows up to about 12 years ago and thought that the FMN would be a good one (having seen it so many times in Lodge) to wear but all I was meeting were members of the Jill Dando Fund. I know that the British Nuclear Veterans Association encourages its members to wear them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

A reflection on expression:
Thankfully, due to the continued diversity of our society, so much as glancing sideways at a person for looking a certain way, is often considered offensive or inappropriate. If Freemasons want to go shopping, jogging or anything else in full dress regalia, then who is to say otherwise?! We and the rest of our society are not under siege and we should do everything we can to ensure that this message is reinforced, by demonstrating our hard-won freedoms at every given opportunity.

I have never and will never make obfuscatory excuses for being a Mason any more than I do for the colour of my skin, beliefs or behaviour and when I wear my regalia or discuss my membership with anyone, I do so with great pride. Doing anything otherwise negates so much of the great work done over many decades, to counter shameful oppression. Neither do I ever rub anyone's nose in it that I am a Mason. It's as normal to me as breathing.

Hope that minor rant serves as a reminder of how great some parts of our modern society are. We have earned well deserved freedoms, so that's something to shout about, lest they be eroded away unnoticed, one-by-one!

Kimosabe
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 am

kimosabe wrote:
Mike Martin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

A reflection on expression:
Thankfully, due to the continued diversity of our society, so much as glancing sideways at a person for looking a certain way, is often considered offensive or inappropriate. If Freemasons want to go shopping, jogging or anything else in full dress regalia, then who is to say otherwise?! We and the rest of our society are not under siege and we should do everything we can to ensure that this message is reinforced, by demonstrating our hard-won freedoms at every given opportunity.

I have never and will never make obfuscatory excuses for being a Mason any more than I do for the colour of my skin, beliefs or behaviour and when I wear my regalia or discuss my membership with anyone, I do so with great pride. Doing anything otherwise negates so much of the great work done over many decades, to counter shameful oppression. Neither do I ever rub anyone's nose in it that I am a Mason. It's as normal to me as breathing.

Hope that minor rant serves as a reminder of how great some parts of our modern society are. We have earned well deserved freedoms, so that's something to shout about, lest they be eroded away unnoticed, one-by-one!

Kimosabe

I'm not following the logic of that rant being attached to a quote of me explaining why my experience leads me to feel that a forget me not isn't a good emblem to be worn if you want to show you're a Freemason???
Mike Martin

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 am

The forget-me-not is often misunderstood but the correct story is here by a mason friend of mine who was interned by the Nazis. As you will see, it was not worn generally until after 1947:
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/bernheim3.html

I do find that its wearing provides recognition between masons. The public generally are not aware, why should they be? As it is also used by other organisations, is that a bad thing? Of course not and if it bring you into contact with others of a caring disposition, surely so much the better.

As far as the wearing of masonic regalia in public is concerned, this is forbidden under UGLE rule 178 unless permitted by dispensation - clear and simple. Rings, pins, ties and so on are not 'masonic regalia' as defined in the Book of Constitutions.
Trouillogan

Postby colineglos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 pm

I used to wear a small square & compass pin on various coats/jackets. Then one day I stopped.

The reason:
A very good friend of mine (and fellow mason) always used to wear a small discreet S&C on his jacket lapel.
The badge was small, (about 5mm square), and gold in colour, so small you could hardly notice it, and to be
frank not many people did.

Then one evening he was out with his wife, entertaining a business contact (and his spouse), and all was well
until the contacts wife, said about his "pretty little" lapel badge. "What exactly is it ? she asked....

My friend answered truthfully, and all hell broke lose.
His business contact, interrupted the conversation with "You're not one of those are you?"
"One of what?" answered my friend. To which the business contact and his wife, got up from the table, leaving
both meals and drinks, and shouted "we're going".

That was the very last he saw or even heard from that business contact (despite making several attempts
at trying to sort out what the actual problem was).

It's nowadays often safer to not display anything which may cause an individual to flare up.
Though nowadays people seem annoyed/offended at the slightest thing, with many becoming quite "tribal".

Nowadays I stick to a small poppy badge in November.

S & F,
Colin
colineglos
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Scott1984 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 pm

colineglos wrote:I used to wear a small square & compass pin on various coats/jackets. Then one day I stopped.

The reason:
A very good friend of mine (and fellow mason) always used to wear a small discreet S&C on his jacket lapel.
The badge was small, (about 5mm square), and gold in colour, so small you could hardly notice it, and to be
frank not many people did.

Then one evening he was out with his wife, entertaining a business contact (and his spouse), and all was well
until the contacts wife, said about his "pretty little" lapel badge. "What exactly is it ? she asked....

My friend answered truthfully, and all hell broke lose.
His business contact, interrupted the conversation with "You're not one of those are you?"
"One of what?" answered my friend. To which the business contact and his wife, got up from the table, leaving
both meals and drinks, and shouted "we're going".

That was the very last he saw or even heard from that business contact (despite making several attempts
at trying to sort out what the actual problem was).

It's nowadays often safer to not display anything which may cause an individual to flare up.
Though nowadays people seem annoyed/offended at the slightest thing, with many becoming quite "tribal".

Nowadays I stick to a small poppy badge in November.

S & F,
Colin
it’s hard to imagine why someone would behave in that way.

I personally have never worn anything Masonic outside the lodge as don’t see the need. I don’t wear a badge for any other organisation/club/team I am involved with. Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott1984
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby MrBenn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Scott1984 wrote:it’s hard to imagine why someone would behave in that way.

Really?
There are quite a lot of people out there with a real antagonistic bent towards freemasonry - often unjustified - but there are at least two people I know who feel this way and I have some sympathy with their feelings.
They were waiting staff at their respective local masonic hall and subjected to unpleasant and unwanted attention on more than one occasion from members at the FB - these were in different locations across England.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scott1984 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Scott1984 wrote:it’s hard to imagine why someone would behave in that way.

Really?
There are quite a lot of people out there with a real antagonistic bent towards freemasonry - often unjustified - but there are at least two people I know who feel this way and I have some sympathy with their feelings.
They were waiting staff at their respective local masonic hall and subjected to unpleasant and unwanted attention on more than one occasion from members at the FB - these were in different locations across England.
I’ve met people who are less than keen on freemasonry as the generally have no idea about it but to never speak to someone again is extreme! I suppose people get upset about not very much these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott1984
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby JulesTheBit » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:08 am

Progress is slow, but we are making some. I remember a discussion in another online discussion group where brethren felt that we should never display any Masonic symbols outside the Lodge. At that time some even tried to claim that the prohibition on wearing regalia in public extended to rings and ties. That was in 1999 and at least one of our Rulers took a lead and said that he was going to wear a S&C lapel pin in public.

I'm retired now, but when I worked freelance I would explain that I was a Freemason to those who worked closely with me. Generally there was no issue, and a couple of very good Masons resulted from those chats. But organisations very, and on one or two occasions it was clear that I was working for an institution where Freemasons weren't popular. One organisation in particular springs to mind, where a major disagreement had developed between two people. The internal rumour mill said that they were both Freemasons and the dispute was over something that had happened in the Lodge. A popular man had somehow been wronged, they were both Freemasons and therefore Freemasonry must be a bad thing.

The truth of the matter was that the disagreement was entirely personal and nothing to do with Freemasonry at all. The 2 individuals were both Freemasons but had never even attended a Lodge together. The individuals concerned had endeavoured to make a truce and decided not to discuss the matter with anyone at work in the hope that it would be forgotten, but the anti-Masonic rumours persisted for years.

Hopefully we can lift the veil over parts of our organisation to the point where we are better understood.

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby Stevecoath » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am

Reminds me of a masonic friend of mine whose brother was continually passed over for promotion in the London Fire Brigade.
The reason was obviously Freemasonry, despite there being no Freemasons on the board.

It was only years later after some soul searching that he realized the reason he had been passed over was he wasn't up to the job.

My father in law is the same, absolutely hates Freemasons because he believes we only promote our own.

When I used to work at Ford Motor Company I was rolling out a major global transformation project while still being a member of the hourly paid workforce.
Things were going great with the exception of the Salaried staff, especially middle management who refused to follow directions from a "shop floor oik".

My GM had a simple solution - he made me a member of the salaried staff (resulting in my having to take a substantial pay cut in bonus' etc) problem solved but to my Father in Law it was obvious I had been given my job because of Freemasonry despite my GM being a non Mason.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:56 am

same subject but different though
Our lodge has just lost an Hon Member
and we are invited to his funeral service
Starting with service within their lodge then on to another in crematorium facility
WE are in Leith they are in Fife
Here we don't wear regalia outside of Lodge
while in Fife they will wear it while at Lodge service . then journeying to Crem
and wear it there
Likewise if it was an interment they would wear regalia in cemetery
which I've seen happening elsewhere in Scotland .

Which bring me to think of next November
There has been talk about a masonic parade in Edinburgh remembering those that died in "Great War"
which was initially blocked by City of Edinburgh Council
( ie from Castle Esplanade in regalia down 300 yards to St Giles cathedral for memorial service)
now it might just be from No 1 ( 19 Hill Street Edin , round the corner to Grand Lodge in George Street
( slightly shorter distance ) all wearing regalia
How will the guid folk of Edinburgh react?
eckywan2

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 pm

topcat1974 wrote:Just interested in peoples opinions. In lodge I usually wear S&C cufflinks and a subtle signet ring with the S&C engraved on it.

In Canada we wear our rings proudly with very little comment from the uninitiated. I have often wondered if the hiding of Masonic identity in the U.K. may have something to do with all the secret society comments that you Brethren seem to have to endure. If it were more open would the general population just become more accepting?
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby Stevecoath » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 am

Freemasonry in the UK didn't always used to be so secret.
It all stems from WW2 when Freemasons across Europe were rounded up and put in concentration camps.
That job would have been so easy if the UK had ever been over run as identities of Freemasons were so publicly displayed.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Stevecoath » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16 am

Incidentally I was asked this week if Freemasons don't have anything to hide why do we have secrets, in this day and age there is no need for anyone to have secrets.

my reply "So, what's your bank PIN?"
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Next

Return to General Interest and Discussion