When to join Holy Royal Arch

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

When to join Holy Royal Arch

Postby LiamStedman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:28 pm

After some advice and thoughts,

When should you join the Holy Royal Arch? I was raised in April and hear alot of people saying to wait but why and how long should you wait

Thanks

Liam
LiamStedman

Re: When to join Holy Royal Arch

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:02 pm

There's no rush! There's a lifetime of stuff in the three degrees as it is; start asking questions about why this, why that and how they came about. Was anything really lost, or was it the means of communication? Should I join Mark first? Why is there an historical gap (in England) between the Craft and the RA? What happened to the RA at the Craft Union of 1813? By the time you have some answers that satisfy your curiosity about those things and others, then might be the time to consider joining the RA. If you join it now, you would likely be doing so without knowing why you are. I would suggest that you obtain Neville Cryer's booklet 'I just didn't know that' - available from most masonic suppliers at less than £10. The chapter on 'What is the point of other than the Craft Degrees' is particularly relevant to your question.

Every good wish for your future in masonry.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby russellholland » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:57 am

I found it useful to read the Sumerian mythology in order to understand Holy Royal Arch - including why it is named as such.
russellholland

Postby JulesTheBit » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 am

As Trouillogan has so eloquently said, when you're sure you're in a position to take on more Freemasonry, and you've decided that a step into the RA is right for you, then that's the time.

The RA is heavily promoted in England as the logical next step after the Craft but it's not absolutely mandatory.

If you don't take that step you will be missing something. And if you don't join every other Masonic Order in existence you will also be missing something.

Choose which step you take, and when you take it wisely. In particular, try hard not to yieled to the "recruiting sergeant" attitude of some Masons.

S&F, Jules
Who loves the RA but willingly acknowledges that others may differ
JulesTheBit

Postby Dalkeith » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I think things are slightly different up here north of the border. As we generally do our Mark degree in Craft lodge (can be done in RA Chapter too) it is still a very personal choice for anyone. Here you have to have been MM for 12 months before applying to join a chapter. I know people that joined as soon as they could, and others that have been in the craft for many years and have no intension of joining RA.
As I said it's a personal choice, as all steps in Freemasonry are.

Hope that helps
S&F
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith

Postby LiamStedman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you for all your comments.
LiamStedman

Postby russellholland » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:14 am

> Here you have to have been MM for 12 months before applying to join a chapter.

I had to go through the Chair in the craft lodge before I was eligible for HRA. In retrospect that was good timing.

That was 25 years ago and these days I am not sure that Freemasonry is as engaging as it once was in which case to maintain the numbers it may be useful to push brethren into other degrees quickly so that they do not drop out.

Such speed however does not have regard for the processes of inner unfoldment of the brethren and may not do much for the quality of Freemasonry. For example the EA TB illustrates a specific technique veiled by Jacob's Ladder and without that technique much of Masonic Science is inaccessible. So we speed past in search of further degrees but without one of the important keys to the genuine secrets.
russellholland

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 am

russellholland wrote:> Here you have to have been MM for 12 months before applying to join a chapter.

Same in Scotland.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Interest and Discussion