Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Stevecoath » Tue May 09, 2017 11:53 am

I feel that last nights program missed an opportunity to clear up a huge misconception.
To the ordinary viewing public watching the program it gives the impression that all Freemasons are members of UGLE.
Yes there was a few mentions of women Freemasons but normally either just before or just after the breaks.

We heard several members state that FREEMASONRY (not UGLE Freemasonry) is male only. We also heard that there will never be female Freemasons.
Then later there was a brief line that there are female Freemasons, who call each other Brother, followed by more of the "Freemasonry is male only".

There was a mention that the only female Freemason was a woman who had sneaked into a Lodge room, but that was it.
I would rather have heard something along the lines of "Although the United Grand Lodge of England is male only, there are female only Lodges and mixed Lodges".

I say this because I work with quite a few Lady Freemasons and that is their major gripe about last nights episode.

I also detest when anyone calls other Degrees "side orders". This phrase needs to be struck from our vocabulary.
Also did anyone notice the amount of incorrect jewels worn and sashes over the wrong shoulder?
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Dalkeith » Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Stevecoath wrote:I feel that last nights program missed an opportunity to clear up a huge misconception.
To the ordinary viewing public watching the program it gives the impression that all Freemasons are members of UGLE.
Yes there was a few mentions of women Freemasons but normally either just before or just after the breaks.

We heard several members state that FREEMASONRY (not UGLE Freemasonry) is male only. We also heard that there will never be female Freemasons.
Then later there was a brief line that there are female Freemasons, who call each other Brother, followed by more of the "Freemasonry is male only".

There was a mention that the only female Freemason was a woman who had sneaked into a Lodge room, but that was it.
I would rather have heard something along the lines of "Although the United Grand Lodge of England is male only, there are female only Lodges and mixed Lodges".

I say this because I work with quite a few Lady Freemasons and that is their major gripe about last nights episode.

I also detest when anyone calls other Degrees "side orders". This phrase needs to be struck from our vocabulary.
Also did anyone notice the amount of incorrect jewels worn and sashes over the wrong shoulder?

Steve, I agree. The programme is called "Inside the Freemasons" not Inside UGLE.

I would like them to at least recognise that in the UK, there are 3 Grand Lodges, and could maybe touch on other countries too. ( I might be jumping the gun a bit as there are still 4 episodes to go), but so far all the emphasis is on "freemasons HQ" - UGLE, which of course is not true for Brethren from other constitutions.
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Stevecoath » Tue May 09, 2017 2:04 pm

[quote="Dalkeith
I might be jumping the gun a bit as there are still 4 episodes to go[/quote]

I thought there were only 5 episodes in total ?
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Dalkeith » Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Stevecoath wrote:[quote="Dalkeith
I might be jumping the gun a bit as there are still 4 episodes to go

I thought there were only 5 episodes in total ?[/quote]

I thought I read 8 somewhere, I might be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dalkeith

Postby Richard George » Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am

Dalkeith wrote:Steve, I agree. The programme is called "Inside the Freemasons" not Inside UGLE.

I would like them to at least recognise that in the UK, there are 3 Grand Lodges, and could maybe touch on other countries too. ( I might be jumping the gun a bit as there are still 4 episodes to go), but so far all the emphasis is on "freemasons HQ" - UGLE, which of course is not true for Brethren from other constitutions.

Although to be fair, the narrator says on a number of occasions "England and Wales" - and the series is about UGLE, not GLoS or GLoI. The fact that they don't mention them is something to take up with the producers; not UGLE.
Richard George

Postby Dalkeith » Wed May 10, 2017 8:40 am

Morning Richard,

I am not blaming UGLE, and for what it's worth , I think that the programme isn't too bad over all, but as it is aimed at people with no knowledge of freemasonry and is being shown on a UK wide channel, there may be people who are in either Ireland/NI, Scotland, who have an interest in joining but no idea how to go about enquiring.

In that instance, they may think that they have to get in touch with UGLE, and may be sent round the houses a bit to get the answer they need.

I do think it is a fault with the programme creators, however, I would have thought this would have been explained by the masonic advisers that they must have to make such a programme.
Last edited by Dalkeith on Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalkeith

Postby mindmagic » Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 am

As I've commented elsewhere, for me it's not about giving away Secrets - it's a case of giving too many Spoilers for potential initiates and for candidates for higher degrees. At least they haven't shown the inside of a chapter room - yet ...
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby Richard George » Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 pm

... And FWIW, I also think they should at least mention the other two GLs; they've mentioned the two women's GL in England and Wales, and the obvious question is "what about Scotland and Ireland?" - for exactly the reason you gave... It's a UK-wide programme.
Richard George

Postby kimosabe » Wed May 10, 2017 5:06 pm

If you were asked to be the person asking the questions for the last episode, what questions would you ask and what questions would you not ask?

I particularly liked the explanation of why Freemasonry went 'underground' due to the Nazis, though I would have like to have seen a massive effort by Grand Lodges to resume the outward facing approach of pre WW2 Masonry; seeing as it all happened such a long time ago and Freemasons are not persecuted. Wearing black ties, morning suits etc is no longer obligatory and never should have been permitted to be considered so. Also, I think this whole 'don't do any research before you join or find out anything you haven't yet been told about' is incredibly counter-productive, as with rare exception, it's simply not how things work any more.

The highlight for me was finally learning what happened to Mungo Jerry.
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Dalkeith » Wed May 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Well Brethren, not that the series has finished, any final thoughts?

Personally, I can see good and bad points. Other than what has already been discussed, I don't know what a non-mason would get out of watching it. Probably created more questions than answers.
Making a programme called "Inside the Freemasons" it should have encompassed a lot more than UGLE, with the repeated phrases like " HQ for Freemasons round the world" really annoying me, as it is not freemasonry HQ, it is only for that particular constitution.

A non mason watching that would probably think that GQS is the head office for all masons.

Just my tuppence-worth, of course, and I know that the majority of this site are UGLE masons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dalkeith

Postby LiamStedman » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am

I think it hasn't done us any harm. Yes people will say it has shown too much. If it makes one person enquire about being a mason it must be a good thing. For me the main think it has shown is that we are just normal people
LiamStedman

Postby JohnnyTheFox » Sat May 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Inside the Freemasons DVD now available to pre-order http://www.freemasonrytoday.com/ugle-sg ... -pre-order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
JohnnyTheFox
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby wayne cowley » Sun May 21, 2017 8:02 am

Apparently, South Wales Province has received about 60 enquiries as a result

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JohnXRV » Wed May 31, 2017 7:17 am

Is that it finished?
My box has only recorded 5 and the planner says no future ones

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby mindmagic » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

Yes, there were five in the series.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby JohnXRV » Wed May 31, 2017 12:28 pm

mindmagic wrote:Yes, there were five in the series.

Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Previous

Return to General Interest and Discussion