Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby MrBenn » Thu May 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Episode three is great, shows freemasonry in action
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
User avatar
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:43 am

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby MrBenn » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

eckywan2 wrote:Monkey is just telling the truth
why does that upset anyone??

veritas per vigilo semper vincit

fraternal greetings to all as usual



I don't need to expand on the explanation provided by Richard, everyone agrees to abide by the forum rules when they join
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
User avatar
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:43 am

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby mozi » Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 am

MrBenn wrote:Episode three is great, shows freemasonry in action


Agreed. I thought the segment re: The Widow's Sons & their tight bond of brotherhood was particularly poignant.
Lodge Firth of Clyde Gourock No. 626
User avatar
mozi
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Gourock

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Monkey In The Corner » Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Lloyd Wiebe wrote:
Peter Taylor wrote:As far as I could make out no "Signs or Secrets" were revealed.

There are a lots of members in our fraternity that do not know what are and are not Masonic secrets. I do not include you amongst them Peter.
Peter Taylor wrote:As far as I could make out no "Signs or Secrets" were revealed.


I am in the most Brotherly and loving way asking a question here. Love all around Brethren.

Please can you define what are Masonic secrets, because as far as I am aware, all things that go on in Lodge once the O.G. closes the door become secret, otherwise why close and guard it?

I mentioned in a previous post about the first degree obligation, which as well as never reveal etc, also mentions "mysteries." Well, the mysteries have been revealed. From my own experience this week, a potential candidate has been lost due to this series, he said he now knew all he needed to know about Freemasonry and would not be joining.

As for breaking forum rules, I do not post on here very often and I must admit I only assumed the rules were generally the same as Freemasonry in general. I believed this was a forum for discussion, but I am obviously wrong.

Please accept my apologies if I offended anyone, I never intended to do so, but for goodness sake, wake up.

Good night.

Monkey.
Love one another because there is too much hate in this world.
User avatar
Monkey In The Corner
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Aberdeen, UNITED KINGDOM

Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby JohnnyTheFox » Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Monkey In The Corner wrote:From my own experience this week, a potential candidate has been lost due to this series, he said he now knew all he needed to know about Freemasonry and would not be joining.

Monkey.


I also don't post on here very often, but Brother from my own experience, he's exactly the kind of candidate we don't want and who almost certainly would have left anyway after his third degree for precisely the same reason.

We've had a few of those in our Lodge!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
User avatar
JohnnyTheFox
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Truelee478 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:15 am

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
Monkey In The Corner wrote:From my own experience this week, a potential candidate has been lost due to this series, he said he now knew all he needed to know about Freemasonry and would not be joining.

Monkey.


I also don't post on here very often, but Brother from my own experience, he's exactly the kind of candidate we don't want and who almost certainly would have left anyway after his third degree for precisely the same reason.

We've had a few of those in our Lodge!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro


I was about to type the same thing as you!!!!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Peter Taylor » Sat May 06, 2017 11:18 am

Monkey In The Corner wrote:
Lloyd Wiebe wrote:
Peter Taylor wrote:As far as I could make out no "Signs or Secrets" were revealed.

There are a lots of members in our fraternity that do not know what are and are not Masonic secrets. I do not include you amongst them Peter.
Peter Taylor wrote:As far as I could make out no "Signs or Secrets" were revealed.


I am in the most Brotherly and loving way asking a question here. Love all around Brethren.

Please can you define what are Masonic secrets, because as far as I am aware, all things that go on in Lodge once the O.G. closes the door become secret, otherwise why close and guard it?

I mentioned in a previous post about the first degree obligation, which as well as never reveal etc, also mentions "mysteries." Well, the mysteries have been revealed. From my own experience this week, a potential candidate has been lost due to this series, he said he now knew all he needed to know about Freemasonry and would not be joining.

As for breaking forum rules, I do not post on here very often and I must admit I only assumed the rules were generally the same as Freemasonry in general. I believed this was a forum for discussion, but I am obviously wrong.

Please accept my apologies if I offended anyone, I never intended to do so, but for goodness sake, wake up.

Good night.

Monkey.

I think it is accepted that the "secrets" are the modes of recognition. You will recall "there are several degrees in F…y, with peculiar s…and s... restricted to each...... the s… of this degree, or those marks by which Ms are known to each other throughout the length and breadth of the land and are distinguished from the rest of the world by night as well as by day". There are certain parts of our ceremonies that can't be revealed by a Brother because he made a promise not to, whereas, there are things that can be readily discussed. The Lodge is Tyled to keep off those who would want to obtain the "secrets" unlawfully.

However, the difficulty arises when we discuss the meaning of mysteries. These are interpreted in various ways IMHO. They can be from, quite literally, everything that happens in the Lodge to the personal revelation that Freemasonry is to each individual.

My personal opinion is that it would have been better not to have shown any of the workings that go on inside the Lodge Room to avoid that conflict, but the "secrets" in terms of the modes of recognition were not revealed.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
User avatar
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17172
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby eckywan2 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Just as an aside ....
one of the Widows Sons motor bikers shown was Bro Willie Hara who served with me in Portobello Police station ( same time as our present PGM Bro Norrie Macleod) Willie is present RWM of St Leonards 580 at Loanhead
eckywan2
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby eckywan2 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 pm

PS congrats to Bro Peter Taylor reinstalled as MWC of SRIS East of Scotland today !!
eckywan2
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby wayne cowley » Sun May 07, 2017 6:19 am

Apparently the next episode (episode 4) contains footage shot in South Wales including the consecration of a new lodge.

They also filmed the annual meeting of Provincial GL (just the processions) but don't know if that will be shown

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
User avatar
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14234
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:08 pm
Location: Newport, Wales, UK

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Lazza21 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:42 am

The booklet "Information for the guidance of members of the Craft" (which comes with the Book of Constitutions) page 28 under the heading MASONIC SECRETS states "Every Freemason is bound by his obligations not to reveal the traditional modes of recognition. This admits of no compromise." It goes on to say "it is greatly desirable that even those parts of our ceremonies which do not fall strictly within the scope of the preceding paragraph should be kept private.........in order that the impact of those ceremonies on candidates may not be diminished."
Hence the program hasn't revealed the secrets according to the Board of General Purposes of UGLE.
I do think it's a pity that any part of what goes on in a meeting should be revealed, what we do is private and to outsiders a mystery. I prefer it that way, the mystery was one of the incentives to join in the first place.
Wheatsheaf Lodge No.9445
Clerkenwell Lodge of Installed Masters No.9628
Greenhythe Chapter No.5449
Lazza21
LRUK Super Member
LRUK Super Member
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm
Location: Meopham, Kent

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Richard George » Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 am

That booklet also states that firing must not be used when non masons are present. I pointed that out to our communication and information officers - neither of whom had spotted it.
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Stevecoath » Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 am

Richard George wrote:That booklet also states that firing must not be used when non masons are present. I pointed that out to our communication and information officers - neither of whom had spotted it.


I also thought the same, having once been chewed out when I failed to lock the kitchen door allowing one of the staff to wander in with a teapot.
The thing is, fire is not purely a masonic "thing" as anyone who has dinned in an Armed Forces Mess will tell you.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: London

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Richard George » Mon May 08, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't dispute that for one minute, but when it also states that it's content is to be regarded as part of the BoC, then it means that sanction has been given to putting part of it aside. Should we then (rhetorical question) be expecting a change to be forthcoming? (might raise that question...!)
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Stevecoath » Mon May 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Completely agree, something along the lines of
"Now that the practice of delivering "fire" at the Festive Board has been broadcast via the UGLE sanctioned "Inside the Freemasons" tv program, does this mean the requirement for the room to be tyled while this is being taken can now be relaxed?"
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: London

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Truelee478 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Stevecoath wrote:Completely agree, something along the lines of
"Now that the practice of delivering "fire" at the Festive Board has been broadcast via the UGLE sanctioned "Inside the Freemasons" tv program, does this mean the requirement for the room to be tyled while this is being taken can now be relaxed?"


While I don't necessarily agree with it having been included within the documentary, there is no reason why we shouldn't continue with our usual protocols going forward.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Dalkeith » Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Not a bad episode tonight, I love Nooky Bear, took me back to my childhood.

Nice to see that they mentioned other degrees and orders, but I don't think that they are correct saying that you can join other orders. It's not as easy as that for some, and of course, there are orders that not every mason can join.
Maybe I'm just being too critical of the program.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
User avatar
Dalkeith
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Truelee478 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Dalkeith wrote:Not a bad episode tonight, I love Nooky Bear, took me back to my childhood.

Nice to see that they mentioned other degrees and orders, but I don't think that they are correct saying that you can join other orders. It's not as easy as that for some, and of course, there are orders that not every mason can join.
Maybe I'm just being too critical of the program.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think it's probably better for them to have generalised as the documentary was not geared towards a Masonic audience.

I missed this evenings episode but it sounds interesting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby JohnXRV » Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 am

I was very impressed with the grandeur of the Cardiff lodge

Anybody else recognise Mungo Jerry?

I thought this episode had the broadest appeal to non- Masons


Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:23 am

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Trouillogan » Tue May 09, 2017 9:19 am

Stevecoath wrote:Completely agree, something along the lines of
"Now that the practice of delivering "fire" at the Festive Board has been broadcast via the UGLE sanctioned "Inside the Freemasons" tv program, does this mean the requirement for the room to be tyled while this is being taken can now be relaxed?"

In one of GL's pronouncements about this (I can't find it right now) they said that although there would be scenes from inside tyled lodges, that does not set any precedent. Which I think personally is a little contra-intuitive. Outsiders could easily be confused by mixed messages and 'authorities' might be encouraged to demand access to our private meetings. Make no mistake, I'm in favour of us being more accessible in the public space (participating in civic processions, foundation stone laying etc.) but I believe the privacy of our meetings should be sacrosanct. Or am I just being an old fashioned grumble-futtock?
User avatar
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
LRUK Grand Supreme Master
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: West Sussex, UK

PreviousNext

Return to General Interest and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests