Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Dalkeith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Good evening Brethren All,

Anyone else watching this series? I am very interested on everyone's thoughts.
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Inside the Freemasons. Documentary on Sky 1

Postby Richard George » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Recording it to watch tomorrow (the missus is watching the Arsenal game - she's a Spurs fan so wants to see them lose!)
Richard George

Postby Hertsman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Only watched the last half hour. Was hoping that the programme would attract interest/new members but not convinced this will be the effect.
Hertsman

Postby Dalkeith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 pm

I know what you mean, but I'll wait and watch all 6 episodes before I decide if it's a good or bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 am

Just to be clear, the tv programme 'Inside the Freemasons' was not instigated by GL, so is not a 'recruitment' effort. One of the Sky production companies do various series called 'Inside [this or that]'. They approached GL to make this particular series to broadcast on successive Mondays. GL hope it will be OK but we won't know until we have seen them all. I don't have a telly, so I won't be seeing them!

GL have a bee in their collective bonnet about recruitment. But they seem to have forgotten that this is a fraternity and it's not a numbers game. Dr George Oliver could have told them that if only they'd listen!
Trouillogan

Postby Stevecoath » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:53 am

The part that really made me look up was the young SD practicing the charge with his girlfriend prompting him from the ritual book.
I could hear the sound of a thousand PM's spinning in their graves.

Also I am expecting comments from north of the border from the comment "Freemasonry was started in England 300 years ago".

A quick straw poll in my office this morning (where most people know I am on the square) has led to roughly a 50/50 split in comments, from "That was really interesting, I didn't know that" to "What colour is your pinny?"
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Stevecoath wrote:Also I am expecting comments from north of the border from the comment "Freemasonry was started in England 300 years ago".

That was the bit that made me cringe!

I would have been far more comfortable had it been phrased something like "the way that freemasonry is currently organised started in London 300 years ago". I think we all appreciate that freemasonry was in existence prior to 1717

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

wayne cowley wrote:
Stevecoath wrote:Also I am expecting comments from north of the border from the comment "Freemasonry was started in England 300 years ago".

That was the bit that made me cringe!

I would have been far more comfortable had it been phrased something like "the way that freemasonry is currently organised started in London 300 years ago". I think we all appreciate that freemasonry was in existence prior to 1717

Wayne

I think that had the programme been a UGLE production they just might have done that differently (no guarantee though!). But I suppose it shows what information the outside world gets.
Trouillogan

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Very true

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Taylor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 am

I'm not sure how much of an "attraction" the first episode would portray to any young man wishing to join. We could argue all day about some of the sweeping statements which seem to want to paint Freemasonry under UGLE as being universal, and of course some of the historical inaccuracies are best left to another date to discuss. I think we need to wait to see every episode and then see.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caelum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Are there any suggestions for how to watch this show if you don't reside in the U.K. and/or subscribe to SKY 1?

Be very interested to see it so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
St John's Lodge Malmö Grip
Carl Friedrich Eckleff Research Lodge
Grand Lodge of Sweden
--
CC Quatuor Coronati Lodge No. 2076
--
Join Sign A Tyle the NOT for profit Masonic social network and lodge locator app.
www.signatyle.com
iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sign-a- ... 52890?mt=8
Caelum
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby eckywan2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I missed it but given the comments above That's maybe a guid thing
I'm biased though having been born in Kilwinning
and I still haven't seen Terra Masonica which put the lie to the 1717 nonsense, again.
fraternal greetings to all.
eckywan2

Postby admin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 pm

If its your Birthday and someone starts singing 'Happy Birthday' , you dont stop them and explain you were actually born at 5 minutes to twelve so your Birthday was actually yesterday.

You wait for the singing to stop and have a good time.

300 years and we are still going why not be content with that. Or to use the Masonic Calendar in the year 4,300. Peter was born in the year 4200 but he looks good for an old timer.

Now there is another conspiracy theory How does Peter Taylor keep looking so young.
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Matatu Man » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 am

@ Caelum

I bought an Android TV box especially for this!

I watched it via the Mobdro app and enjoyed it very much.

Hundreds of Android TV boxes available and can be bought online. Google and Youtube have loads of info on this subject.
S&F,

John Martin
PM, F4, GLL. - http://freemasonry-luxembourg.org/
P.G:.C:., GLL.
Founder, F11 (Grnd Chptr of Belgium)
RA 972 (Prov. of East Kent)
KT 325
MMM & RAM 1815 (Mark Dstrct of Belgium)
Tranquility Lodge 2000, A.F. & A.M.
- http://tl2k.org/
Matatu Man

Postby Caelum » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Matatu Man wrote:@ Caelum

I bought an Android TV box especially for this!

I watched it via the Mobdro app and enjoyed it very much.

Hundreds of Android TV boxes available and can be bought online. Google and Youtube have loads of info on this subject.

Thank you very much for the information! :-) I shall be looking for one of those then.

/C
St John's Lodge Malmö Grip
Carl Friedrich Eckleff Research Lodge
Grand Lodge of Sweden
--
CC Quatuor Coronati Lodge No. 2076
--
Join Sign A Tyle the NOT for profit Masonic social network and lodge locator app.
www.signatyle.com
iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sign-a- ... 52890?mt=8
Caelum
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby mozi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 pm

First time back on the forum for a long while, but after watching the first episode of this series today I was interested to see the general opinion on how the Craft were portrayed.

Personally speaking, it's difficult to gauge after just one instalment. Yes, nothing was revealed that necessarily shouldn't have been, however I did feel that some of the filming, particularly within the Lodge Room during ceremony, a bit too intrusive.

Some things, such as these, should be left to the imagination of others & the enjoyment of members. The intruige of not knowing what lay behind those doors was part of the attraction for me & added to the whole experience of joining Freemasonry.

All in my humble opinion of course.

Look forward to the remainder of series to see how it expands.
Lodge Firth of Clyde Gourock No. 626
mozi
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Richard George » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 am

mozi wrote:Personally speaking, it's difficult to gauge after just one instalment. Yes, nothing was revealed that necessarily shouldn't have been, however I did feel that some of the filming, particularly within the Lodge Room during ceremony, a bit too intrusive.

I don't recall anything being filmed in the lodge room other than a procession or a snippet of the installation of a ProvGM (unless I missed something?). Processions used to be public - and indeed still are in KT (in England) or at the Lord Mayor's Show, and seeing a ProvGM being invested doesn't really reveal anything about normal lodge meetings surely? On the contrary, the commentary explicitly said that initiations were reserved for members and the initiates themselves.
Richard George

Postby admin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Truelee478 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Trouillogan wrote:Just to be clear, the tv programme 'Inside the Freemasons' was not instigated by GL, so is not a 'recruitment' effort. One of the Sky production companies do various series called 'Inside [this or that]'. They approached GL to make this particular series to broadcast on successive Mondays. GL hope it will be OK but we won't know until we have seen them all. I don't have a telly, so I won't be seeing them!

GL have a bee in their collective bonnet about recruitment. But they seem to have forgotten that this is a fraternity and it's not a numbers game. Dr George Oliver could have told them that if only they'd listen!

I am so pleased that I am not the only one that feels this way. However I do think that we need to build a culture where Masons are more open about their involvement with the craft.
Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby JohnXRV » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Must admit I was taken aback by the EA who was made FC within 3 months. I was initiated last October and it will be this October before my 2nd. Thought "bloody hell, wish mine was that quick!" but only because I get booted out of the lodge too often

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
JohnXRV
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Next

Return to General Interest and Discussion