Attending Loi with other lodges

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Attending Loi with other lodges

Postby kimosabe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:11 pm

I had a poorly thought out idea some time ago, that it could be of some use for people to attend Loi's of other lodges. Maybe work has taken them away from home and they're going to miss a useful Loi. Maybe they just need more practice.

I've certainly been in a position shortly before the meeting begins of wondering what the next thing to do is and only because I hadn't had enough physical practice. So if someone approached your lodge with this request, what might you say/ have you said?

All the best,

Kimosabe
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Re: Attending Loi with other lodges

Postby Stevecoath » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:13 pm

As Preceptor of an LOI I have floated this idea several times but have not met with positive vibes.
The main bone of contention seems to be if "outsiders" want to do there own thing.
This is easily rectified in that you let it be known what ritual you will be working (Taylors, Emulation etc) and then try to stick to a programme (Openings in all 3 degrees, full run through of one degree etc).
Also some LOI's seemed to have become LORs (Lodge of Rehearsal) in which we will only rehearse what we are doing at our next meeting. - This may be of use if the "visitor" just wants to work some ritual and is not fussy, but if they want to work something different then it would not be of such use.

If managed well however, it is of benefit both for the LOI in general and the member of the other Lodge.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby MrBenn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Stevecoath wrote:Also some LOI's seemed to have become LORs (Lodge of Rehearsal) in which we will only rehearse what we are doing at our next meeting.

One of my pet peeves - LoI should be for instruction and improvement, not simply rehearsing 'the next performance'
I'm also of the belief that at least one meeting in each masonic year should be given up for a lecture - even in London lodges which only meet 4 times a year
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby P471 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 pm

We have a joint LOI, which is shared between 4 Lodges and it actually works really well. We work emulation and in LOI we stick to the book even though each of the 4 Lodges have subtle differences.
I don't see a problem with attending other Lodge's LOI if you understand they are working their ritual, not yours.
S&F
Paul

SD - Silurian Lodge No. 471
Universities Lodge No. 5461
1st AS - Silurian Chapter No. 471
St. Mary's RCC No. 1010
P471
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Trouillogan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 am

MrBenn wrote:
Stevecoath wrote:Also some LOI's seemed to have become LORs (Lodge of Rehearsal) in which we will only rehearse what we are doing at our next meeting.

One of my pet peeves - LoI should be for instruction and improvement, not simply rehearsing 'the next performance'
I'm also of the belief that at least one meeting in each masonic year should be given up for a lecture - even in London lodges which only meet 4 times a year

Exactly, MrBenn, exactly. Rehearsals are one thing and probably best kept to the members of one lodge. Lodges of instruction are very much something else and are more like study circles, where we learn the 'message', alternative interpretations, how to translate what we learn into our lives in the outside world.
Trouillogan

Postby Stevecoath » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:10 am

Trouillogan wrote:Exactly, MrBenn, exactly. Rehearsals are one thing and probably best kept to the members of one lodge. Lodges of instruction are very much something else and are more like study circles, where we learn the 'message', alternative interpretations, how to translate what we learn into our lives in the outside world.

I could not agree more. however despite several years of trying I have now given up on that approach. If an individual member is interested then I prefer to meet with them and discuss this in a more social setting. As for the rest, well the phrase "pearls before swine" springs to mind.
PM Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
MM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; Gladsmuir RAM 367; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Jacques de Molay KT 670: Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440;
Stevecoath
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Truelee478 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:43 am

MrBenn wrote:

I completely agree with Lodges having at least one lecture per year.

I honestly believe that we are breeding a culture of knife and folk Masons.

Personally I believe that Grande Lodge has a greater issue with retention than it does with recruitment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Truelee478 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 am

Trouillogan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

Exactly, MrBenn, exactly. Rehearsals are one thing and probably best kept to the members of one lodge. Lodges of instruction are very much something else and are more like study circles, where we learn the 'message', alternative interpretations, how to translate what we learn into our lives in the outside world.
wonderful concept

Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby wayne cowley » Tue May 02, 2017 12:48 pm

We introduced such a concept in my Mother Lodge when I was in the Chair first time round. We have continued the practice ever since.

Last week we had a lecture on King Solomon's Temple

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 am

wayne cowley wrote:We introduced such a concept in my Mother Lodge when I was in the Chair first time round. We have continued the practice ever since.

Wayne

Excellent Wayne - way to go!
Trouillogan

Postby Truelee478 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:13 am

wayne cowley wrote:We introduced such a concept in my Mother Lodge when I was in the Chair first time round. We have continued the practice ever since.

Wayne

Very impressive

Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Peter Taylor » Wed May 03, 2017 10:37 am

We carried out 3 Lectures last year, (5 the year before), and 1 already this year.
This has been a regular feature here for many years.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Truelee478 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Peter Taylor wrote:We carried out 3 Lectures last year, (5 the year before), and 1 already this year.

Where does your lodge meet?

Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Peter Taylor » Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Truelee478 wrote:
Peter Taylor wrote:We carried out 3 Lectures last year, (5 the year before), and 1 already this year.

Where does your lodge meet?

Dundee.
Check my signature to my Lodges websites.
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Truelee478 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:42 am

I should have guessed that you are under the Scottish constitution.

Many of my friends in the USA and in the Caribbean are Scottish Masons and it appears to me that you all place a lot more emphasis on Masonic education as a group activity. The English Lodges that I visit and I am familiar with are more focussed on ritual IMHO and Masonic education is something that as an individual each brother has to seek out themselves.

I don't even see the research Lodges being promoted as such.

Truelee478
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby kimosabe » Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 pm

I agree that Loi should be exactly as stated above and that 'Rehearsals' need to be a very different occasion. "...for the instruction and guidance of the Craftsmen..."... not enough of either goes on and my guess is that this doesn't happen because of the decline in Masonry leading to a 'let's just get through this as best we can' mentality taking hold. I miss not seeing the boys (every Mason under 85 is a 'boy' in my lodge) outside of Loi or at meetings, because our Loi tend to be a rehearsal. A great loss to Masonry as a whole.
kimosabe
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Trouillogan » Fri May 12, 2017 10:58 am

There is a couplet penned inside the cover of a Preston's Syllabus in our archive that runs:

Blank the stare of symbol and of sign
Unless th'internal import through them shine

The owner of the book wrote this in the early teens of the nineteenth century after receiving the Syllabus pages (they were unbound in those days) directly from the hands of William Preston while he was a member of Lodge of Antiquity just before the 1813 union. So the lack of masonic education is not a new problem. However, lodges of research continue to exist in most parts of England and Wales. They appear to be much more frequent abroad, particularly in New Zealand and in Australia; I don't know why this should be so.

I would advise finding your local research lodges and joining one of them (you will find a few listed on the Quatuor Coronati Lodge web site but there are many more). This way you will be encouraged to create and deliver your own papers (there and in other lodges), all the time making your daily advancement in masonic knowledge, instead of being frustrated by lack of progress. You will never change our present nominal 'lodges of instruction' into real lodges of instruction - I wish it were otherwise.
Trouillogan

Return to General Interest and Discussion