Lodge Bank Accounts - BACS payments

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Lodge Bank Accounts - BACS payments

Postby Wurzell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Our cater would very much like us to switch to paying for meals by BACS rather than giving a cheque for the total sum on the night.

We run a two signature authorisation on payments on the account which is with Lloyds.

I'm wondering how, or indeed if we can accommodate the caterers request?

One of our signatories doesn't have a computer and is unlikely to ever get one. I as treasurer am the only signatory who currently has online access and I can't really see any of the other 'chaps' being enthusiastic about setting up online access to tick a box authorising the payment were it possible. I was wondering if somehow at our forthcoming GP meeting we could have a proposition authorising me as treasurer to make the necessary online payment to just the one regular payee?
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Lodge Bank Accounts - BACS payments

Postby MrBenn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:29 pm

Something you would really need to discuss with the Lodge, then if they aren't in agreement, the caterer.
I can totally understand why the caterer prefers direct account payment - much simpler for them
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby P471 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:28 pm

Yes, you could propose to allow the Treasurer to make electronic payments. It is eventually the way it's going to go as cheques are fast becoming extinct. I know with our bank account (HSBC) you can set limits so for example a max transaction of £x and a daily limit which would reduce risks. But personally I think the fact that the Treasurer has been elected by the members shows the trust they have in him and is enough.

BoC - Rule 153 (a) ... The Lodge may by resolution authorise the Treasurer, but on no pretence any other Brother, to make payments from the Lodge’s account by electronic means; in the absence of any such resolution all payments from Lodge funds shall be made by cash or by cheque.
S&F
Paul

SW & Master Elect - Silurian Lodge No. 471
Asst. Sec. - Universities Lodge No. 5461
J & H Elect - Silurian Chapter No. 471
Treasurer - St. Mary's RCC No. 1010
P471
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby admin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:26 am

You could just get his bank details and pay a chq into his bank. Just need a payslip. But you have to go down rto the bank to do that of course. It amounts to the same thing.

But I would imagine all the other lodges would have the same problem.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 am

I don't think there would be a problem. Specify two signatures to setup the bacs entry (to confirm who payments go to), and that's it; whoever is authorised to use the online account can then pay the bill.
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Whats a cheque?
eckywan2

Postby Matatu Man » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 am

I was going to ask the same.

We haven't had those over here since the 90s!
S&F,

John Martin
PM, F4, GLL. - http://freemasonry-luxembourg.org/
P.G:.C:., GLL.
Founder, F11 (Grnd Chptr of Belgium)
RA 972 (Prov. of East Kent)
KT 325
MMM & RAM 1815 (Mark Dstrct of Belgium)
Tranquility Lodge 2000, A.F. & A.M.
- http://tl2k.org/
Matatu Man

Postby eric384 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:21 am

What's BACS?
Eric Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth
eric384

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Wurzell I have found my experience with banks rather laborious. I have just been made Treasurer of my lodge this masonic session and my first aim was to bring the accounting system into the 20th century. Firstly by bringing in online banking so I could view the account at anytime plus paying by BACs. First I had to get the ok from the lodge committee which only sits 4 times per year. Then approach the bank to be told that I had to have a application form signed not only by myself but by each of the lodge account signatories which there was 4 . On doing that and taking the said form into the main branch then waiting 3 weeks phoned the bank to be told that they had not received the document it must have been lost I must start again with a new application. So that is were we are now.
Dave
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lodge Treasurer 2015 onwards
April 2015 Raised to Master Mason
November 2014 Fellow Craft Mason
March 2014 Initiated to Entered Apprentice
December 2013 Handed my petition into the lodge.
Dave B
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby MrBenn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:51 pm

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eric384 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 pm

I don't think it will catch on.
eric384

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Dont think banks will catch on
eckywan2

Postby eric384 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 pm

The way RBS and HBOS went, you could be right.
eric384

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:24 am

Dave B wrote:Wurzell I have found my experience with banks rather laborious. I have just been made Treasurer of my lodge this masonic session and my first aim was to bring the accounting system into the 20th century. Firstly by bringing in online banking so I could view the account at anytime plus paying by BACs. First I had to get the ok from the lodge committee which only sits 4 times per year. Then approach the bank to be told that I had to have a application form signed not only by myself but by each of the lodge account signatories which there was 4 . On doing that and taking the said form into the main branch then waiting 3 weeks phoned the bank to be told that they had not received the document it must have been lost I must start again with a new application. So that is were we are now.

Next time take it into the branch and don't leave without a signature for it - the higher up the food chain the better!
Trouillogan

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Trouillogan
I phoned and spoke to a chap that was in charge of online banking for the company.
He told me to send a new application form direct to him at his office address, which I did and sent it recorded. I have checked and it has been delivered and signed for. So we will now see what happens.
Dave
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lodge Treasurer 2015 onwards
April 2015 Raised to Master Mason
November 2014 Fellow Craft Mason
March 2014 Initiated to Entered Apprentice
December 2013 Handed my petition into the lodge.
Dave B
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Sometimes I wonder why we use banks at all; they seem pretty incompetent much of the time. (14)
Trouillogan

Postby Wurzell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:57 pm

I'm reviving this thread if that is okay by the Moderators?

Banking with both HSBC and Lloyds they tell me (I haven't tried) but if I raise a BACS payment on accounts with them then it then gets sent to one of the other signatories who has online access to approve then it is paid.

With Nat West they still maintain a two signature requirement on cheques but by dint of the fact the Lodge/s have approved online banking allow me to make BACS payments in my own right. As I live a fair distance from one of my Lodges in particular this is a real boon and so far has worked perfectly.

I wonder if UGLE has any plans to update the BoC to reflect we are now fast heading toward the demise of the humble cheque?
Wurzell
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Stevecoath » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm

I recently took over as Provincial Treasurer and one of my worries is that as I work full time I would be unable to get to the bank to deposit cheques.

Due to the Bank putting all kinds of obstacles in my way with regards to changing signatories I opened a new account at a different Bank.

I now have a Lloyds Bank Treasurers Account that enable me to use my mobile phone to take a photo of a cheque and the funds are in the account usually within a few minutes.
PM, Edmonton Latymer Lodge 5026 UGLE (Hertfordshire); PZ, Edmonton Latymer Chapter 5026
WM, Gladsmuir MMM 367; WCN, Gladsmuir RAM 367; EP, Preceptory of Jacques de Molay 670; Waltham Holy Cross A&AR 372; Walnut Tree Conclave RCC 440; John Mortimer Council R&SM 247; Edgecumbe Council AMD 35(TI); Hertfordshire KTP 29; VII°, Blaise Pascal SRIA 70;
Stevecoath

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:55 am

I find it really annoying at times that Lodges / Chapters etc don't accept subs by direct transfer, as this is what i do for almost every payment.

A subs request comes out, I e-mail to say "can you give me the bank details and I'll set up a standing order", and the response is "We don't do that. Could you just post me a cheque"? My mind boggles every time I get this, and it is the vast majority of the units i am in that seem to insist on cheque or cash.

My view is that Standing Order is easiest all round, especially if you have your name in the payment details so the Treasurer can just tick you off. I also think that it would mean that people just keep paying automatically, rather than needing chased (and probably after they may have left anyway, as people rarely cancel SO's).
The Trades House of Glasgow Lodge, No1241SC,
Lodge The Kings Park, No1386SC, PM
Polnoon Castle Conclave No 372 (OSM) PSR
Rockmount Chapter No 367 SC
Camphill Chapter No 311 SC PZ
Glasgow & Auld West Guild Lodge
The Temple in Glasgow No 6 (KT)
Glasgow Sovereign Chapter No. 11
Harmony
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Harmony wrote:I find it really annoying at times that Lodges / Chapters etc don't accept subs by direct transfer, as this is what i do for almost every payment.

A subs request comes out, I e-mail to say "can you give me the bank details and I'll set up a standing order", and the response is "We don't do that. Could you just post me a cheque"? My mind boggles every time I get this, and it is the vast majority of the units i am in that seem to insist on cheque or cash.

My view is that Standing Order is easiest all round, especially if you have your name in the payment details so the Treasurer can just tick you off. I also think that it would mean that people just keep paying automatically, rather than needing chased (and probably after they may have left anyway, as people rarely cancel SO's).

May I suggest that you propose a motion to do just this. There's no reason I know of not to accept payments by transfer. Do a bit of canvassing first, just to see which way others might vote.
Trouillogan

Next

Return to General Interest and Discussion