Internet drop down country menus

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Internet drop down country menus

Postby Eckywan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Brethren something that has scunnered me for some years that may actually concerns us Scots as equally as UGLE brethren!
I was talking to a brother from Missouri on Phone as he was at his bank and had touble sending funds to buy kilt outfit for a friend /brother.
BUT his bank was unable to find Scotland on drop down list and initially declined to help further. My friend insisted and called me for support which resolved the situation when I suggested the banker look under UK. but she, rightly, pointed out that UK is NOT a country, only a political arrangement.Which I had to agreee with. Likewise I dont live in country called NATO or country called EU.. I guess our UGLE brethren may have had similar problems trying to buy anything online and when entering address England and Scotland are NOT recognised as countries which I find very insulting, as I am sure any Englishman would too.

How can we get the internet rulers to correct this and stop insulting us?
maybees independence will make them change their procedure, either ours or Englands. Its over 400 years since Bro King james VI took over our neighbours.
Surely its time to allow the English to try to cope on their own.

Brethren Im having a laugh with last paragraph but im serious about the main subject, Scotland is a country end of

fraternally as always

eckywan
Eckywan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: Internet drop down country menus

Postby Jimmy Green » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:49 pm

Whilst many of us in our own particular nations may wish it were otherwise, it is the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) that is recognised by the United Nations as a sovereign country in its own right. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are only its constituent parts. That's why you only have the option of United Kingdom in the drop-down boxes.
White Ensign Lodge No. 9169
White Ensign Chapter No. 9169
Woodthorpe Mark Lodge No. 1144
Jimmy Green
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Eckywan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Ok Jimmy you too are entitled to your view. I guess the white ensign is a clue. My father was in RN throughout the war a proud sailor and proud to be British but Scots first. The question of who calls it UK or GB is irelevant
Scotland IS a country in its own right own right. as are England and Wales and sooooo many others . Should the six nations be renamed ? as France Italy and UK?
I dont think so! Im a proud Scot and I would hope there are many proud Englishmen here too.
Jimmy you give your location here as Nottingham, England I presume you will have that amended to UK.
fraternally as always

eckywan
Eckywan

Postby Jimmy Green » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:59 pm

Bro Eckywan, whatever your or my opinions may be, it is an established fact that it is only the United Kingdom that is recognised as a sovereign state by the UN, not our individual countries. http://www.un.org/en/members/

For what it's worth, I have Scottish, Dutch and, I'm led to believe, Russian blood flowing through my veins as well as English.

S&F
Jimmy Green
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Eckywan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:38 am

Thanks Bro Jim thats exactly my point
Its supposed to be a list of countries
nothing to do with politics of UN UK EU whatever
Scotland is a country
England is a country
Your Dutch and Russian relations wont have this problem
Eckywan

Postby middlepillar » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am

I am proud to be European, British & English. I do not take offence of having to write I am from The UK when asked which Country I come from. We are first and foremost Human Beings and I personally have no problem in trying to wipe out unnecessary Jingoism however it is veiled. Politics and Religion are the scourge of Humanity, worrying about this is just not worth it (IMHO) (7)
There is nothing more easy than to come to the gate of truth; there is nothing more difficult than to enter it. This applies to most of the wise of this world. 'Louis Claude de St Martin'
middlepillar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy Green » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:07 am

Eckywan wrote:Thanks Bro Jim thats exactly my point
Its supposed to be a list of countries
nothing to do with politics of UN UK EU whatever
Scotland is a country
England is a country
Your Dutch and Russian relations wont have this problem

You know Scotland and England are countries and so do I but it's much like UGLE and GLoS and their recognition of other grand lodges. They may very well be Freemasons but if they don't meet the expected criteria they are considered irregular. That's how it is with the internetshire drop down lists. It's the list of countries according to the UN that determine their 'regularity' and those are the ones that are usually listed on t'interweb.

My father lives on the Western Isles and for an Englishman is very, very pro-Scottish. He still gets the hump though whenever I send a letter and put Scotland at the end of the address. One thing I've learnt is that no matter how hard you try you'll never please everybody.

S&F
Jimmy Green
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Eckywan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:13 am

Good comments Jimmy !
my favourit holiday is to Tiree and I dont understand the natives at times The local lodge has a nice gaelic name!
As ypu may guess I get the hump with UK after my country on addresses .
Ive got 12 French brethren here next week and am very aware about the irregularity of most French lodges and the reasons why
but they are still brethren ........ iMHO
be replying here for a week or so at least
Eckywan

Postby Eckywan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:02 pm

oooops sorry that seemed to get mixed up and I didnt notice
This weeks vistors are GLNF brethren and regular its the others French brethren I meant I still accept as masons albeit we cant visit each other!
So I will be busy for a week and wont be replying here for that time at least
Maybees England Wales and Scotland should take on UN and get recognition !!
Ive received 72 bottles of fine wine to distribute! so a votre santes mes freres slainthe
Eckywan

Postby MrBenn » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:11 pm

The situation first listed by Eckywan is to do with international banking conventions and standards for payments

Scotland, England, Wales & NI do not exist as individual signatories to the conventions and standards - the UK does, irrespective of what one person or individual thinks

Incidentally the IBAN ID for the UK is formed as 'GBkk'

If you want to read up on IBAN numbers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... unt_Number

The drop down list on most web pages is based on a pre formed list that the web page designer uses - they can, if they so desire, find one that has Scotland England & Wales, but most don't bother
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Not quite Mr Benn
the situation came to my attention( again), due to the bank "iban" problem our brother in Missouri had had
BUT my moan was about the lack of choice in drop down lists where my country AND yours is not included
But its not a ban due to regulations, just lazy website programmers using the easily available UN list
rather than bothering to include us ( again I mean England and Wales as well)
No one here would deny that Scotland, England and Wales are countries in their own right ( and Im not getting into Irish problems just now)

So every time I'm asked for MY country, then its not on the offered list, I will try to do business elsewhere
and I would be happy to support any English attempt to gain WWW recognition !
It may even lead to England trying to manage without us and becoming independent! Aye right!
eckywan2

Postby admin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 pm

eckywan2 wrote:So every time I'm asked for MY country, then its not on the offered list, I will try to do business elsewhere
It may even lead to England trying to manage without us and becoming independent! Aye right!

Why not support the United Kimgdom as James the 1st of Scotland did in the unification of the Crowns ?
Especially after the Majority of the Scottish population voted to support the continued existance of the UK.

May I ask that we now leave this subject as I want to have the last say and I do not do that often.

It is becoming political. (13)
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenn » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:59 am

eckywan2 wrote:Not quite Mr Benn
the situation came to my attention( again), due to the bank "iban" problem our brother in Missouri had had
BUT my moan was about the lack of choice in drop down lists where my country AND yours is not included
But its not a ban due to regulations, just lazy website programmers using the easily available UN list
rather than bothering to include us ( again I mean England and Wales as well)
No one here would deny that Scotland, England and Wales are countries in their own right ( and Im not getting into Irish problems just now)

So every time I'm asked for MY country, then its not on the offered list, I will try to do business elsewhere

Who mentioned anything about a ban?
There are no 'rulers of the internet' - it is operated under international convention - which is why a lot of totalitarian governments hate it and the freedom it offers their citizens.
As I mentioned, site owners can add drop down lists that include the constituent countries of the United Kingdom of Great Britain if they so wish, but that adds to their workload - also Scotland is not on the ISO 3166-1 agreed list of countries which most sites reference

IBAN numbers are agreed by international convention - that pesky ISO 3166-1 again
Please take the time to read the link I provided, you may learn something, I would also suggest that the banking clerk who was assisting your friend do her best to likewise educate herself
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:55 am

I was down by the local "river" one day, picking up the rubbish and then watching the water flow by. A robin came up real close: about two foot away, checked me out and then flew off. A local resident came over to see what I was up to and in the the course of our conversation I called the tributary a "brook". I was politely and firmly informed, with pride, that twas not a "brook" but a "river"; at all of 6 feet in width. Faerie snuff, so be it. Incidentally it was practically at the end of his garden yet he had not cleaned it up.

I got to thinking later on, that it was neither a brook, a stream or a river as it had no fish in it. This I gathered was due to unused local Mills and the fact that industrial farming pretty much backs onto it's full length, before and through the town. I wrote to my local MP expressing these concerns. Local folk are so proud of their town yet I wondered if one of them had noticed that it's "life's blood": the river, was all but dead. Oddly, a week later, the local towns info and interest pamphlet came through the door. The main topic of discussion was the river and how, moany groany, it tends to flood now and again and ruin our lives. The river, that thing we're proud of but it just over there and we don't really notice it until it annoys us.

So the pride I hear of about the local town and river was just a intellectual concept. It had no on the ground basis in physical reality. Like blood, the river can bring in good and take out bad, if it's allowed. This would a mean a more prosperous town and happier people. Is the river just a waste disposal unit for agricultural run off that annoys when it floods, or does it serve itself, the life in it, the surrounding landscape, including us and local wildlife?

It was put forward that ploughing the fields would slow run off and maybe lessen the flooding. It's so short sighted. Having read Schauberger I know that this would allow the ground to heat up too quickly, as nature's "hymen": the top 5 cm of soil is removed, and so the water table is affected. Rain and flooding is an attempt by the whole landscape to correct the water table. So the land can live. Add to that the straightening and dredging which allows water to flow too fast, therefore preventing backward impedance to slow flow so that water can sink into the ground.

We don't build around the river and bridge over it, we straighten and make it go under the road and then scratch our heads when it recoils. A river must move in a serpentine manner to work correctly and needs embankment trees etc etc. What's the point in pride: the deadly sin that comes before the fall, if it's just a concept?

They should put fins going into the river where it's been straightened to slow flow and make it go from side to side and swirl etc. Other things could be done that, like ploughing, wouldn't make the situation worse. Better still, knock down the houses that are by the river, build a bridge over it etc etc. Might cost money but longterm but all would benefit. Pride doesn't seem to see the nose on the end of it's face for the sake of the ideas in it's head. I don't think there can actually be such a thing as "Great Britain" without intelligent environmentalism. The two are synonymous.
""There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."" -J Krishnamurti. The Electric Universe & Mythological Cosmology https://youtu.be/t7EAlTcZFwY This member is not a Mason, but a fan of Freemasonry.
pilgrim
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby admin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:53 am

Topic is locked
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/