Does the thief deserve equal protection from the law?

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Does the thief deserve equal protection from the law?

Postby pilgrim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:20 pm

...as the "innocent"?

After receiving a few emails from one particular political party, politics aside, it raised many questions for me. Nearly every email (I subscribe to parties I don't follow) had lines along the angle of :: ""Hardworking good people deserve protection from the law""...It was regarding some sort of common place crime committed against folk. The immediate implication to me was that, obviously then, there are people who don't deserve protection, i.e. by implication, some who are not working and those who are not considered "good". Surely when we divide people into deserving and not deserving, we run the very real risk of disadvantaging those who don't meet up to our personal standards and opinions, which maybe built on falsehoods or/and personal conditionings. I watched the film "Calvary" last night (highly recommended (lest we forget!)) and at the start there was a quote::

"Do not despair, one of the theives was saved,
Do not presume; one of thieves was damned" - St. Augustine

Also how do I know that the person I see as "bad" has not completely changed since the last cause for that conclusion, if it were ever right?

And there's a Kahlil Gibran quote..."What judgment pronounce you upon him who though honest in the flesh yet is a thief in spirit?"
""There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."" -J Krishnamurti. The Electric Universe & Mythological Cosmology https://youtu.be/t7EAlTcZFwY This member is not a Mason, but a fan of Freemasonry.
pilgrim
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Return to General Interest and Discussion