Question about Provincial Honours

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Question about Provincial Honours

Postby MrBenn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:25 am

(7) (7) (7)
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gcoudert » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Well, got my letter from Province yesterday and I've been appointed to PPJGD with effect from 20th October. Really pleased!
gcoudert
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby wayne cowley » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Many congratulations

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Congratulations Gilles!
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Dowling » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:22 am

Congrats Gilles!
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, PProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby gcoudert » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:48 am

Thank you, Brethren. I accepted my wages without scruple but with a fair amount of diffidence.
gcoudert

Postby johncc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Trouillogan wrote:While in essence I agree, I wouldn't put it quite that strongly! However, consider the situation in one of our sister jurisdictions - Ireland.
…After that, the rank of that post becomes your past rank - and that's it. There are no appointments to or promotions within past ranks.

Whilst this is generally true, there are a few occasions when Honorary Past Grand Rank is awarded. There are also some promotions within these. For an example of this, have a look at this Minute of the December 2014 meeting of the Grand Lodge of Ireland. http://irish-freemasons.org/Pages_GL/Grand_Lodge_Minutes/december_2014.html.
MJPB Carchrie Campbell
Calpe 325 (Gibraltar) (I.C.)
Stormont 560 (Down) (I.C.)
Tivoli Libris 2150 (MetGL) (E.C.)

Hibernia Mark 431 (London)
johncc

Postby Trouillogan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:19 pm

johncc wrote:
Trouillogan wrote:While in essence I agree, I wouldn't put it quite that strongly! However, consider the situation in one of our sister jurisdictions - Ireland.
…After that, the rank of that post becomes your past rank - and that's it. There are no appointments to or promotions within past ranks.

Whilst this is generally true, there are a few occasions when Honorary Past Grand Rank is awarded. There are also some promotions within these. For an example of this, have a look at this Minute of the December 2014 meeting of the Grand Lodge of Ireland. http://irish-freemasons.org/Pages_GL/Grand_Lodge_Minutes/december_2014.html.

As you say, that's quite exceptional. I sincerely hope it never reaches the ridiculous plethora we have in UGLE!
Trouillogan

Postby ruslou » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Hi, have been living abroad for the last 15 years. Have now retired and can afford to visit my lodge for all meetings, the secretary spoke to me after the meeting telling me a few more ticks and I would be put forward for provincial honours ! My question is:- would it be frowned upon to decline these honours ? the reason I say this is that I enjoy the lodge and all the brethren and just want to continue offering all the help I can, Can·t make LOI for obvious reasons [cost], A different apron would not change this !! Reply and help would be good.... F&F
ruslou

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:03 pm

ruslou wrote:Hi, have been living abroad for the last 15 years. Have now retired and can afford to visit my lodge for all meetings, the secretary spoke to me after the meeting telling me a few more ticks and I would be put forward for provincial honours ! My question is:- would it be frowned upon to decline these honours ? the reason I say this is that I enjoy the lodge and all the brethren and just want to continue offering all the help I can, Can·t make LOI for obvious reasons [cost], A different apron would not change this !! Reply and help would be good.... F&F

'Honours' are occasionally turned down, so it's nothing new. Frowned upon? Well perhaps but so what. In some Provinces I'm told that a refusal would mean no honour would be likely to be offered again, except in exceptional circumstances. I did question one of mine; to be told by the PGM that it was a 'catch up' to match what I had from my mother Province. So, on that basis I accepted. It still cost me £100 all told! (4)
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:02 pm

ruslou wrote:Hi, have been living abroad for the last 15 years. Have now retired and can afford to visit my lodge for all meetings, the secretary spoke to me after the meeting telling me a few more ticks and I would be put forward for provincial honours ! My question is:- would it be frowned upon to decline these honours ? the reason I say this is that I enjoy the lodge and all the brethren and just want to continue offering all the help I can, Can·t make LOI for obvious reasons [cost], A different apron would not change this !! Reply and help would be good.... F&F

As Trouillogan says, they are occasionally turned down - but also remember, that in some Provinces - particularly if you've not been through the chair in the recommending lodge, a Provincial appointment is the Province's way of saying thank you for the service you have and are giving to the lodge. I personally know of one member of our Province who turned down an appointment; we tried to talk him into accepting (he's not a member of my lodge) as the service he has personally given to his lodge is outstanding and fully deserving of recognition. Unfortunately he was adamant that he didn't want any recognition as he believes he doesn't deserve any. Such a shame. A case like that though, will likely mean he will get offered again. There comes a time though when there wouldn't be any more offers - not because it's been refused, but because it's known it won't be accepted.
Richard George

Postby gcoudert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:40 am

I'm being invested this afternoon and I am slightly nervous about it but I will accept my wages without scruple or diffidence!
gcoudert

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:22 pm

Hope all went well Gilles!
I was delighted to receive a letter from Province last week - 1st appointment Prov Grand Steward - absolutely delighted - to be invested in March 2016
Joe Shearer
Craft - PProvGStwd (Essex), 7311 (Essex), 8665 (Essex), 9475 (Herts),
Royal Arch - PProvAGDC (Essex), 5705 (Essex), 8665 (Essex), 3256 (Essex), 7897 (Essex)

Nosce Te Ipsum
Joe

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Congratulations Joe

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gcoudert » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Joe wrote:Hope all went well Gilles!
I was delighted to receive a letter from Province last week - 1st appointment Prov Grand Steward - absolutely delighted - to be invested in March 2016

Congratulations, Joe! I hope you enjoy the active appointment. Yes, it all went well except when the front half of my collar jewel came off and fell to the PGM's feet when he invested me!
gcoudert

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:22 pm

It'll be a busy first few months into the summer as I have active rank in the RA (ProvAGDC) too until Sept... but its great I can't wait
Joe Shearer
Royal Arch - PProvAGDC (Essex), 5705 (Essex), 8665 (Essex), 3256 (Essex), 7897 (Essex)

Nosce Te Ipsum
Joe

Postby MrBenn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:16 am

Many congratulations Joe - is that in Essex or Herts?

MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:23 am

Both In Essex Mr B
Joe Shearer

Nosce Te Ipsum
Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 am

Rather than open a new post - I found out a while back (now official) that I have been promoted to ProvDepGDC in Chapter in Essex to be received in September. I'm delighted to say the least as it's a 3 year appointment - such an honour!
And I also receive 1st appointment in Herts in craft - is September too where I am delighted to have been appointed to PPAGDC.
According to my dear suffering wife she's buying shares in a regalia company to get some of the cash back!
What a lucky guy I am :)
Joe Shearer

Nosce Te Ipsum
Joe

Postby MrBenn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Further congratulations!!
(7) (7)

MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Interest and Discussion