Unattached - may I visit in Scotland

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Re: Unattached - may I visit in Scotland

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 am

David Dont you dare give up. The Edinburgh circumstances were outwith our control and I wont talk about it here
but hopefully Jim will be able to help while he is along the beach a wee bit.
We are both friendly with potential next GMM who may be able to intervene and sort it out locally to you
( another friend is RWM of 851 who meet throuout @summer@ near you)
Its a lodge of research which might interest you and jim or X
slainthe
PS David whats the Irish for come on Croatia ? Croatia Ghu Bhra?
eckywan2
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby David H » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Trouillogan wrote:..... Also, under UGLE, a brother remains in good standing if he does not owe any money to any lodge at a particular point in time. So an unattached brother who has clearance certificates from each and every lodge of which he has ever been a member, is in good standing.

A am sorry to labour the point but clearly this rule is misunderstood by (for example) folk from Constitutions other than UGLE operating closed groups on Social media. I am currently "an unattached brother who has clearance certificates from each and every lodge of which he has ever been a member, [and] is in good standing." and was astonished to find quite by chance within the last few days that I had been removed from such a group on the grounds that in their terms I am "no longer a Freemason"! To makes matters worse I was told that "“They [the administrators] tend to go through old conversations infrequently and this time round they may have reacted on something that does not hold true.”

Obviously I had no idea of what the situation would be when in good faith I resigned from my Lodge in good standing 18 months ago as a result of relocating permanently more than 600 miles away and made the decision to donate sums in excess of my dues to local charitable causes - particularly food banks. I possibly made the wrong decision but I find such things distressing and depressing.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby David H » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm

MrBenn wrote:David - having known you through this forum for some time I do hope you are able to find a way to once again participate in freemasonry, especially as it seems to be something which you enjoy and miss

I can't thank you enough for you comments Mr Benn. I do miss active freemasonry hugely and it is probably more than 2 years since I attended a meeting - sadly, as related on another post my options for participating in any way shape or form are shrinking.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 pm

David H wrote:
Trouillogan wrote:..... Also, under UGLE, a brother remains in good standing if he does not owe any money to any lodge at a particular point in time. So an unattached brother who has clearance certificates from each and every lodge of which he has ever been a member, is in good standing.

A am sorry to labour the point but clearly this rule is misunderstood by (for example) folk from Constitutions other than UGLE operating closed groups on Social media. I am currently "an unattached brother who has clearance certificates from each and every lodge of which he has ever been a member, [and] is in good standing." and was astonished to find quite by chance within the last few days that I had been removed from such a group on the grounds that in their terms I am "no longer a Freemason"! To makes matters worse I was told that "“They [the administrators] tend to go through old conversations infrequently and this time round they may have reacted on something that does not hold true.”

Obviously I had no idea of what the situation would be when in good faith I resigned from my Lodge in good standing 18 months ago as a result of relocating permanently more than 600 miles away and made the decision to donate sums in excess of my dues to local charitable causes - particularly food banks. I possibly made the wrong decision but I find such things distressing and depressing.

I'm really sorry to read of your apparent predicament. As I don't know what you mean by 'Constitutions other than UGLE', I'm unable to pass comment on that aspect. Also 'closed groups on social media' are not regular masonic organisations, so I, for one, would take no notice. In regular freemasonry you are quite simply an unattached brother and that is all. Social media has no position in regular freemasonry. I suppose those who run the closed group of which you write, have their own rules just as any independent club might. If they've excluded you, then so be it. That exclusion has no force other than with that group. There are many people, including masons, who have no presence in social media - I'm one! If, heaven forbid, you were excluded from this forum, would that make you any less a freemason? Of course not.

I'm quite sure you will be welcomed in any regular lodge, Scottish, Irish or UGLE. Go for it and forget about social media!
Trouillogan

Postby David H » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 am

Trouillogan wrote:....'closed groups on social media' are not regular masonic organisations.....

Exactly. My point is that sometimes (albeit rarely) the way such groups are administered causes confusion to the detriment of regular masonic organisations.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby MrBenn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm

To be honest I usually find the administrators of these closed groups to be nothing more than egotistical bampots - we used to see it in pre-facebook days with forums springing up left right and centre - now they appear on Social Media as 'closed' groups but the goal is the same - to flatter the ego of the admin
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby David H » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm

MrBenn wrote:To be honest I usually find the administrators of these closed groups to be nothing more than egotistical bampots - we used to see it in pre-facebook days with forums springing up left right and centre - now they appear on Social Media as 'closed' groups but the goal is the same - to flatter the ego of the admin

(7) As they say "why don't you tell us what you really think" Mr Benn. I have to say that sadly you are spot on but for the unattached such as myself it has been a good way of keeping in touch. I very much like the approach mentioned in a post on this forum by Julesthebit where he mentioned that members who had resigned in good standing are still kept in the loop as regards notifications. I had no idea being unattached would prove to be such a strange lonely place. On the other hand the uninitiated have absolutely no idea just what a valuable resource this forum is - many friendly knowledgeable people on hand to offer excellent advice etc
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

I would guess that 'keeping unattached members in the loop' is easier -and cheaper- than in the past. When the sole method of passing info around was snail mail, we have to remember that postage costs, and unless the secretary dug into his own pocket, those who are paying their subs would not be too happy to know they were subsidizing someone who had resigned - regardless of the reason. Now that most(?) communications are via email, it becomes easier and cheaper as it costs nothing to leave someone on a distribution list.
Richard George

Postby David H » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Richard George wrote:I would guess that 'keeping unattached members in the loop' is easier -and cheaper- than in the past. When the sole method of passing info around was snail mail, we have to remember that postage costs, and unless the secretary dug into his own pocket, those who are paying their subs would not be too happy to know they were subsidizing someone who had resigned - regardless of the reason. Now that most(?) communications are via email, it becomes easier and cheaper as it costs nothing to leave someone on a distribution list.

Excellent point There is much more I could say about this aspect and the apparent imbalance between the treatment of old and young joiners. I was told by a very active WM that currently UGLE's emphasis is on youngsters. I hope I am wrong. I was an old codger when I joined and was very surprised by how many folk I met who like me had joined after retirement. Clearly I am banging my head against a wall to no effect so I am going to concentrate my efforts on finalising arrangements for my golden wedding in few weeks time DV. The machinations of freemasonry are fascinating, complicated and frequently contradictory (as between the different constitutions). I made my bed now I must find some way of making it a little more comfortable, meanwhile thank you all for your kindness and forbearance.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Richard George » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 pm

The current emphasis is on the 'youngsters' only insofar as -if we're honest- that's where the future lies.

What I can say, as a former ProvAGSec part of who's remit was to field all interest received via the internet, is that I actually saw relatively few real youngsters; most were in their early/mid 30s. Yes there were a few younger, but the numbers paled in comparison. And there were a number in their late 40s. Older initiates tended to come in via existing members.

As we in Cambridge have two Universities, the intake from the University of Cambridge came in direct to INUL, whereas interest from Anglia Ruskin came in via the internet, so I have a pretty good idea of the age interest - and as I said above, most of it was from slightly older men.
Richard George

Previous

Return to General Interest and Discussion