Inside Scotland GL

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Inside Scotland GL

Postby Peter Dowling » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am

Secrets of the Masons is on BBC Two ­Scotland, Monday, March 19, 9pm.

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/QEif
Mark Well.
Peter
Peter Dowling

Re: Inside Scotland GL

Postby Dalkeith » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 am

You should be able to get it on iplayer too if out side Scotland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby eckywan2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm going to miss it as acting IDG at 1209
but I was there at filming !
where in the world are you Jim X?#
droning?
eckywan2

Postby Dalkeith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 pm

Steve, I’m back down south, so I’m still around, done my Cork Degree over in Fife at the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Your one head of me Jim boy
Missed the TV show as I was at 1209
c'est la vie
watching it tomorrow
cheers
eckywan2

Postby eckywan2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 am

Watched it the day after
what a con in the title !! (I'm glad to say) there were no "secrets" divulged !
My wife didnt like it as I kept shouting out names of friends in background,
I was at the installation but chose to be behind cameraman in south east
The other camera woman was upstairs in gallery
better than I thought it would be
BUT they missed out on any comment on charity donations !
eckywan2

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

eckywan2 wrote:Watched it the day after
what a con in the title !! (I'm glad to say) there were no "secrets" divulged !
My wife didnt like it as I kept shouting out names of friends in background,
I was at the installation but chose to be behind cameraman in south east
The other camera woman was upstairs in gallery
better than I thought it would be
BUT they missed out on any comment on charity donations !
I think it was designed to attempt to bust some of the myths surrounding Freemasonry. More about who we are as opposed to what we do. Maybe a follow up is needed?
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby David H » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

IMO it was extremely misleading.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Peter Taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 am

David H wrote:IMO it was extremely misleading.

In what way?
Regards, Peter
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby David H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

Peter Taylor wrote:

In what way?

For example the scene in which what was described as an Initiation in America was clearly NOT an initiation. Whether or not it was a GLoS ceremony I have no idea but it was unlike anything I have ever seen in my time in Scotland.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Peter Taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:38 pm

David H wrote:
Peter Taylor wrote:

In what way?

For example the scene in which what was described as an Initiation in America was clearly NOT an initiation. Whether or not it was a GLoS ceremony I have no idea but it was unlike anything I have ever seen in my time in Scotland.
I agree it wasn't an initiation. It was actually a 2nd degree.
However, the editing wasn't carried out by the GLOS. So the TV producer has chosen, (incorrectly), some archive footage from another jurisdiction which they thought would be in line with their production.
Who was it misleading?
Regards, Peter
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby David H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:23 pm

The scene in which what was described as an Initiation in America was clearly NOT an initiation. Whether or not it was a GLoS ceremony I have no idea but it was unlike anything I have ever seen in my time in Scotland.[/quote]I agree it wasn't an initiation. It was actually a 2nd degree.
However, the editing wasn't carried out by the GLOS. So the TV producer has chosen, (incorrectly), some archive footage from another jurisdiction which they thought would be in line with their production.
Who was it misleading?[/quote]

Please understand I was NOT criticising the GLoS which I have been a member of and have many friends who are members. Of course the editing wasn't carried out by the GLoS, neither should it have been; presumably it was made with the cooperation of GLoS who like me hoped for an objective and accurate representation. "Who was it misleading" - the public at large, and furthermore I know from conversations I have had here in Inverness with friends who are not members that they felt that the section where the BBC were asked to leave reinforced the commonly held view regarding secrecy. The inclusion of that clip could be seen as mischievous.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Postby Peter Taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:01 pm

David H wrote:Please understand I was NOT criticising the GLoS which I have been a member of and have many friends who are members. Of course the editing wasn't carried out by the GLoS, neither should it have been; presumably it was made with the cooperation of GLoS who like me hoped for an objective and accurate representation. "Who was it misleading" - the public at large, and furthermore I know from conversations I have had here in Inverness with friends who are not members that they felt that the section where the BBC were asked to leave reinforced the commonly held view regarding secrecy. The inclusion of that clip could be seen as mischievous.

Well, as has already been commented upon by the GLOS they had very little influence on what was edited in or out. It wasn't the GLOS that asked for the documentary in the first place.

I don't see how it can mislead the public if they don't know what a degree looks like?

As to the "the commonly held view regarding secrecy", we will never get over that as long as people subscribe to conspiracy theories etc etc. However, I would say to those who those who think it was "secret", that it it was private; no more than a golf club AGM who wouldn't want anyone else seeing their business.
Regards, Peter
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:01 pm

The only thing I saw that was misleading was the title
Secrets of The Masons
as they didn't show anything "secret"
although the way they were asked to leave could have been better done
in fact the leaving was more shambolic than was chosen and shown
eckywan2

Postby Bookworm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm

If I remember right, the commentary made clear that they were not allowed to film any degree ceremonies but clips could be found on the internet. The two they then showed were from John Ankerberg's exposure on American TV and from a Nazi propaganda film made in Vichy France! Showing the bit where the BBC were asked to leave was a little mischievous, but I would hope most people would see through that. On the whole, although I raised my eyebrows at one or two of the things they allowed them to film, I thought the programme gave a positive view of Scottish freemasonry and I think it may encourage some to join.
Bookworm
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Lang Spoon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:40 pm

The aspect I didn't like was the message (though subtle) that Rabbie burns and James watt would not have enjoyed the success in life that they did had they not been Freemasons and received support from the Craft. Although the point was not belaboured it is the type of thing that the antimasonic lobby among the profane delight in siezing upon - whether or not there is any truth in it - rant over!
Then gently scan your brother man,
Still gentler sister woman;
Though they may gang a kennin' wrang,
To step aside is human.
Lang Spoon

Postby eckywan2 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:21 pm

I didn't think it was subtle !!
I wasn't aware of the Watt story but must agree that Burns WAS supported at Tarbolton then Kilmarnock and Edinburgh by being not only a brother but Dep master and guid at story telling .
That the support came from the craft is not something to be ashamed of but aware that others may misconstrue
Keep on ranting lang spoon !!
eckywan2

Postby David H » Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Peter Taylor wrote:Well, as has already been commented upon by the GLOS they had very little influence on what was edited in or out. It wasn't the GLOS that asked for the documentary in the first place.

I don't see how it can mislead the public if they don't know what a degree looks like?

As to the "the commonly held view regarding secrecy", we will never get over that as long as people subscribe to conspiracy theories etc etc. However, I would say to those who those who think it was "secret", that it it was private; no more than a golf club AGM who wouldn't want anyone else seeing their business.

Thank you Peter. I always assumed that the GLoS would have had little influence etc as regards editing and that is the risk any organisation takes when agreeing to take part in such a programme.

IMO the public were mislead - supposed/assumed or total lack of knowledge by the public is immaterial - it was suggested to the public that they were seeing an accurate representation of a GLoS degree - clearly they were not. Not just my opinion but the opinion of Dark Blue and SLGR friends hereabouts.
Quo vadis, S & F

David
David H

Return to General Interest and Discussion