My First Festive Board - Appropriate Sartorial Elegance?

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

My First Festive Board - Appropriate Sartorial Elegance?

Postby peteste » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi all, I'm 99% sure that my initiation will take place early next month (in a Metropolitan lodge).

I'd really like to put in a bit of effort to look my best at the Festive Board later in the day (out of respect for the members more than anything else - I don't want to look like a scruff) so I was looking for some advice on accessories. I wear a suit day in and day out but wanted to up my game a little bit so my question is whether it is OK for me to wear a craft tie and handkerchief (from Letchworth's in all likelihood), a Metropolitan tie, or what?

(20)
EA, Lodge of Joppa #188 UGLE
peteste

Re: Festive Board - Appropriate Sartorial Elegance?

Postby Lazza21 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

For most lodges a dark suit,white shirt,black shoes and socks, black tie. But your proposer should advise you what is required.
Wheatsheaf Lodge No.9445
Clerkenwell Lodge of Installed Masters No.9628
Greenhythe Chapter No.5449
Lazza21
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Re: My First Festive Board - Appropriate Sartorial Elegance?

Postby peteste » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks for your advice, although I thought I'd ask here because I've chewed his ear off enough already (27)
peteste

Postby Richard George » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Don't bother about a handkerchief (unless you really want to; personally I never have.. except to use for blowing my nose! ) - and I would not recommend wearing either a Grand Lodge or Met tie until after your initiation. Stick with black until you formally become a member.
Richard George

Postby Fincon1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 pm

I'd agree with the black tie until you've been initiated. Indeed, I know some Lodges actually present initiates with a regional Craft tie. Make sure the tie is plain, though - patterns are usually frowned upon!
Fincon1

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:24 am

peteste wrote:Hi all, I'm 99% sure that my initiation will take place early next month (in a Metropolitan lodge).

I'd really like to put in a bit of effort to look my best at the Festive Board later in the day (out of respect for the members more than anything else - I don't want to look like a scruff) so I was looking for some advice on accessories. I wear a suit day in and day out but wanted to up my game a little bit so my question is whether it is OK for me to wear a craft tie and handkerchief (from Letchworth's in all likelihood), a Metropolitan tie, or what?

The Festive Board is straight (well almost) after the meeting itself so what your Proposer says you should wear to the meeting is what you'll be wearing to dinner after the event :) .

It is probably sensible to stick to a plain black tie until you're actually in and settled. As to the MetGL tie I've only ever seen it worn by Met Officers and holders of LGR and SLGR so I wouldn't worry about that either. It's worth pointing out that there are restrictions to wearing Metropolitan or Provincial ties whereas the plain black and the "Craft" tie have none.

What Lodge are you going into btw?
Mike Martin

Postby mindmagic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am

If you want to buy a Craft tie, you don't need to buy a black one as well (not until you join non-UGLE orders, anyway, which all have their own ties, of course). A Craft tie can be worn in any Craft Lodge or Royal Arch Chapter and it's perfectly OK for you to wear one for your initiation.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby peteste » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks for all of the advice - I will consult my proposer and see what he says.

Mike, I'm joining the Lodge of Joppa, no. 188, where I have a good friend who is also my proposer - given that both he and my seconder are active Grand rank I think I'm off to an auspicious start.

Thanks for your previous help in guiding me towards the light - I hope I'll be able to pay a visit to you and the brothers in Mersey very soon (27)
peteste

Postby eckywan2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Welcome peteste
slow down and enjoy the journey !
eckywan2

Postby peteste » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 am

I know - I'm just very eager (36)

Anyway I have my answer - a black suit with or without a waistcoat and a plain black tie. I was also told that morning dress is perfectly OK for any member of our lodge to wear but that it's usually only worn by the officers and those with Grand ranks by convention. Apparently the lodge I'm joining also allows the wearing of the Met tie...

Only a month to go now - I'm both excited and very nervous (50)
peteste

Postby Richard George » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:26 am

Understandable, but you can take our word for it that there's nothing to be worried about. And I can guarantee the officers for the evening are going to be more nervous than you(!) as they'll want to make it an evening for you to remember and they won't want to muck it up.

If you want to say a particular thank you on the evening, the guy you really want to say it to is the Junior Deacon as he'll be the one looking after you and doing his best to make sure you enjoy it. Trust me when I say that the success of the evening falls on his shoulders, and he often gets forgotten in the 'aftermath'.
Richard George

Postby Richard George » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 am

mindmagic wrote:If you want to buy a Craft tie, you don't need to buy a black one as well (not until you join non-UGLE orders, anyway, which all have their own ties, of course). A Craft tie can be worn in any Craft Lodge or Royal Arch Chapter and it's perfectly OK for you to wear one for your initiation.

It is worth bearing in mind that once you become a Master Mason, there are some meetings of Grand Lodge (called Quarterly Communication) that are open, on application, for Master Masons to attend - and for that, the only ones permissible are black or the Grand Lodge tie. Something to consider. Also, when, for example, the Province/Met/GL declare a period of mourning - as Cambridgeshire are in at the moment, there's a good chance that black will be specified, so it's a good fallback one to have.
(Our most senior Past Provincial Grand Master passed away a couple of weeks ago for those who are curious)
Richard George

Postby Mike Martin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 am

peteste wrote:Mike, I'm joining the Lodge of Joppa, no. 188, where I have a good friend who is also my proposer - given that both he and my seconder are active Grand rank I think I'm off to an auspicious start.

Thanks for your previous help in guiding me towards the light - I hope I'll be able to pay a visit to you and the brothers in Mersey very soon (27)

No worries and you never know I may be at your Initiation (along with a recent Initiate into Mersey) if I can swing it.

Joppa, is a good choice as it is one of the remaining "Antients" (aka Atholl Lodges there's a tie choice that hasn't come up yet) Lodges who have a special place in the development of the UGLE, I'm sure your Mentor will bring you up to speed on that, although there is a book on the early history of the Lodge.

Have a great night.

Mike
Mike Martin

Postby peteste » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:39 pm

That would be a very nice gesture Mike, and I'm sure your new member will appreciate seeing it done unto someone else, so to speak!

I will PM you with the exact timing when I have it
peteste

Postby colineglos » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 pm

A plain black suit and black tie. A waistcoat if you want to wear one, though only us older farts seem to wear them these days.
The young members of our lodge avoid them - due to one suspects over-heating and over-eating!
Too much "fancy stuff" and you end up looking like a stuffed chicken. And by the end of the evening you'd wish you had taken a more simple approach.
Have a great time, and remember - Keep it Simple!
S & F
Colin
colineglos
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Mike Martin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:59 pm

peteste wrote:That would be a very nice gesture Mike, and I'm sure your new member will appreciate seeing it done unto someone else, so to speaki

Funny you should mention that but he will have just witnessed another Initiation into Mersey on 23rd March, it’s nice to see a couple before your Passing (2nd) if the chance presents. Even If he can’t I will see about coming along solo :)
Mike Martin

Return to General Interest and Discussion